• Amtrak On-Time Performance (OTP) Delays Reroutes Annulled

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Backshophoss

The Arctic Blast that covers the northern US and all of Canada has yet to ease it's grip,add to that the storm that's crawling northward along the
East Coast of the US, (Weather Channel tagged "Grayson"),Amtrak seems to be coping with the cold stormy weather as best as it can.
  by STrRedWolf

Amtrak has reduced service due to the 2018 nor'easter snow storm. https://www.amtrak.com/alert/amtrak-mod ... vices.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified service: Acela Express and Northeast Regional between New York Penn and Boston. Shuttle service between Springfield and New Haven.
Canceled service: Northeast Regional between DC and Newport News/Norfolk, VA.

All other service on regular schedule.
  by Gilbert B Norman

While this incident occurring at Savannah involving 98(3), Silver Meteor, appears to be minor with passengers "taking it in stride", Amtrak "doesn't need" reporting on CBS Radio News 5AM hour, and a day after there were reports that commercial air travel worldwide did not have a single fatality during '17.

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/breaking- ... qfFnAWCCM/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fair Use:
Three cars on an Amtrak train with more than 300 passengers on board derailed while backing into the Savannah station Wednesday night, officials said.
The Silver Meteor train #98 was traveling from Miami to New York when the incident happened about 10 p.m. Wednesday, Amtrak spokesman Jason Abrams said.
“All three cars — a baggage car and two sleeper cars — are fully upright,” Abrams said.
When is some "crusading reporter" about to "make a name" at Amtrak's expense regarding safety?
  by lordsigma12345

Yesterday's northbound Silver Meteor and both legs of the auto train were also cancelled and the Silver Star ran only to Jacksonville, and tomorrow it will run from Jacksonville back down to Miami. All were due to both the conditions up north and the large track delays in the Charleston/Savannah area as a result of the minor derailment in Savannah that were reportedly exasperated by other track and signal issues in the area from the cold and wintery weather. The train that had cars derail did continue on north (presumably without the 3 derailed cars - I believe those passengers were transferred to the northbound Silver Star which was waiting behind.) I know someone that was on the southbound Meteor from Wednesday so I was watching transitdocs.com throughout the day and watched the big delays in the Florence-Savannah area. Northbound auto train and meteor from Wednesday after finally clearing Savannah sat for hours and hours on a siding in Yemassee as other trains started to move through the area. Wednesday's northbound auto train finally made it to Lorton after 1 AM this morning. The person I knew on the southbound Meteor fared better and made it only 9 hours late - it appeared they let all the southbound trains through the area first. And if they had flown they wouldn't have made it at all due to all the flight cancellations.
  by gdmcdonald1

Hi everyone, new Amtrak rider here, have been following the forums for a while, but it's nice to talk to you! Apologies for the slight delay with my question below, but my account was just approved.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what's been going on with the Crescent very recently? I've noticed it leaving its origin station extremely late, which would obviously not be tied to freight traffic. E.g. Crescent 19 left New York 9 hrs 6 min late on 1/1, and Crescent 20 left New Orleans 5 hours late on 1/3. Always terrifying seeing these kinds of delays on the one train I can take from Atlanta! Also, the Crescent timekeeping in general has been abysmal and noticeably worse since October :( . However, even with my first trip to New York being 5 hours late, I still much preferred it to flying.
  by Stevek

Dick H wrote:Saturday, January 6th, both Adriondacks #68 and #69 showing service disruption. Any details?
My son is on #69 from NYP, and passengers switched to buses at Albany to continue journey.
  by BM6569

Dick H wrote:Saturday, January 6th, both Adriondacks #68 and #69 showing service disruption. Any details?
Heard there was some issue with the station in Montreal
  by Railjunkie

BM6569 wrote:
Heard there was some issue with the station in Montreal
Broken water line at the MMC. No where to park the equipment.
  by shlustig

Does anybody know what happened to:

A. #63 (9th) westbound Maple Leaf shows no times west of Rome; and

B. #50 (9th) eastbound Cardinal lost 2'00" LAF to IND and another 2'00" IND to CIN; now running 4' 45" late?
  by Dick H

From the CSX Sightings Yahoo Group.

A friend reported that P063-09 had issues East of Syracuse and P281-09 coupled on and towed them to Niagara Falls, Sorry no additional details on the nature of the problem or unit number.
  by east point

Very interesting stat. Crescent #20/10 originated ATL due to NS work south of ATL. It departed every station till ALX on time. Then departed ALX and every station early all the way to NYP.
  by gdmcdonald1

Yea it's amazing, but at the same time very frustrating. As someone whose trips all originate from Atlanta, I've watched the Crescent on-time performance fall apart over the last 3 months. Went from average northbound delays of 60-90 minutes before October to 120+ minutes. But the fact that cutting off the relatively short Birmingham to Atlanta segment pretty much fixes the entire problems seems begging for a solution. I know how unlikely service changes are but a re-route of the Crescent via the CSX between Atlanta and Birmingham would only skip one stop, Anniston :P (does anyone know why NS has gotten so markedly worse about holding up Amtrak lately). Or just splitting the Crescent into two routes, a day and night train, at Atlanta. Anything to solve these ridiculous delays that only seem to get worse (my last 2 trips were a 5 hr and 3.5 hr delayed northbound Crescent) :( .