• Amtrak Borealis: fka Empire Builder 2nd Daily Frequency Chicago - St Paul

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Tadman

There was a picture somewhere of a long string of them being moved to storage. It was also discussed over in the California forums here. These cars are basically bullet proof and, given a proper overhaul and corridor seats, would make great corridor cars for an expanding network.
  by dowlingm

Tadman wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:57 am There was a picture somewhere of a long string of them being moved to storage. It was also discussed over in the California forums here. These cars are basically bullet proof and, given a proper overhaul and corridor seats, would make great corridor cars for an expanding network.
If they are that great... why didn't Caltrain keep them and stick an ALP-46 or ACS-64 in front of them?
  by Allouette

The Caltrain bilevels do not have the same long-haul trucks the old C&NW "400" cars carried. Even on well-maintained track they were only designed for a top speed of around 70 MPH. C&NW did use at least some of them in Chicago-Milwaukee or Chicago-Green Bay-points north on occasion, but most likely at speeds of 70 or less, especially north of Milwaukee.
  by scratchyX1

dowlingm wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:11 am
Tadman wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:57 am There was a picture somewhere of a long string of them being moved to storage. It was also discussed over in the California forums here. These cars are basically bullet proof and, given a proper overhaul and corridor seats, would make great corridor cars for an expanding network.
If they are that great... why didn't Caltrain keep them and stick an ALP-46 or ACS-64 in front of them?
As they wouldn't have the faster acceleration that EMU have.
  by eolesen

Allouette wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:43 pm The Caltrain bilevels do not have the same long-haul trucks the old C&NW "400" cars carried.
The trucks used by Nippon Sharyo (from Atchison Casting) which are really just a modern casting of the same trucks used in the 1950's, and seem to do just fine at 70+ in my experience.
  by Tadman

dowlingm wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:11 am
Good question. Acceleration is one factor. Also politicians love taking pics in front of shiny new trains and have never been accused of making good decisions.

VRE and Metra run plenty of Sumitomo gallery cars all day and Caltrain was not exactly a hard user, either.
  by superbad

I was using train tracker all day at work to see where these 2 trains would meet. Today it looks like it was easy of Tomah. I was also wonder what happens if the Borealis catches up with a severely delayed Builder going east. pass it? Today's eastbound was trailing the builder by 1.5 hours I believe
  by lpetrich

Borealis Train | Amtrak - looks like a glossy tourist brochure.

However, Rail Passengers Association | Washington, DC - Stand Up for A Connected America! has the schedule: Borealis (Twin Cities-Milwaukee-Chicago) Timetable - borealis.pdf

Westward:
  • Chicago: EB 3:05 pm Bor 11:05 am
  • Milwaukee: EB 4:45 pm Bor 12:39 pm
  • St. Paul: EB 10:56 pm Bor 6:29 pm
(EB) - (Bor) = 4 hr

Eastward:
  • St. Paul: EB 8:50 am Bor 11:50 am
  • Milwaukee: EB 2:57 pm Bor 5:40 pm
  • Chicago: EB 4:45 pm Bor 7:14 pm
(Bor) - (EB) = 3 hr

Since the Borealis is a corridor train, it may have more convenient arrival and departure times than the EB, a long-distance one.
  by superbad

The Borealis is way more convenient if you're overnight in the twin cities. You get not really late and you have until noon to catch the flip. This is something I am going to try this weekend. The Borealis also gets to MSP early enough to get to the airport for late night flights.
  by STrRedWolf

superbad wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:41 pm The Borealis is way more convenient if you're overnight in the twin cities. You get not really late and you have until noon to catch the flip. This is something I am going to try this weekend. The Borealis also gets to MSP early enough to get to the airport for late night flights.
As I mentioned, this is a good thing, but I won't be surprised if another Borealis set is pressed into Empire duty if said Empire is really really really late.