• Amtrak HHP-8 Discussion: Use, Reliability, Disposition

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Wdobner

Nasadowsk wrote:Actually, didn't the Astride series have a pretty bad record over in .eu. IIRC, the HHP-8s were the first from that series to actually hit real service. Could be wrong though.
I believe you're right. The French only ordered some 234 Sybics in the late 1980s, and only ordered 60 some Astride locos (which I believe were derived from the Sybic). Now Alstom has the Prima line of modular electric locomotives to go up against the Bombardier Traxx and Siemens Eurosprinter locomotives, but so far their sales have been pretty lackluster outside France. I know there was some sort of fight between SNCF and Alsthom over the Sybics, but I'm not sure what the details were. From what I've heard the HHP-8 was basically a Sybic with a dual tap transformer and no DC capability (never quite understood why the French needed one loco with 1500vdc/25kv capability and another with 1500vdc/3000vdc and 25kv capability) and a beefed up frame for the FRA. These days it looks like the the vast majority of Sybics in France are working for SNCF Fret hauling goods trains, while a few are hauling night trains, and even fewer are actually doing daytime semi-express regional runs of the type the HHP-8 was supposed to do for Amtrak. I have to wonder what happened to the Sybics in the early 1990s, since SNCF seems to have ordered them with the same role in mind for them as Amtrak ordered the HHP-8s, that of hauling express trains which did not warrant TGVs or Acelas being assigned to them. Now the Sybics are largely hauling freight, SNCF has blown tons of money buying EMUs which seem to do the same thing the Sybics would have done, and our HHP-8s are having problems.
DutchRailnut wrote:Hmm maybe problem is not on french side of locomotive. Could it be that its the Amtrak Maintenance ?? Maybe the lacks attitude of workers.
I dunno how EMD and GE manage to turn out decent locomotives then (excepting of course the utter trash that comes out of Super Steal Schenectady). And it's not like Boeing is exactly rolling over in the face of the subsidized Airbus competition. Having talked with Amtrak folks and seen some of their maitenance efforts I would say it's highly unlikely those folks are to blame for the HHP-8s problems. The AEM7s and rebuilt AEM7ACs offer both a whole series of both high and low tech problems for the crews to fix and they seem to have little problem tackling and solving them. When it comes to the HHP-8s the damn things just seem to thwart the maitenance crews at nearly every turn. I've sat and watched a crew at 30th St Station try to reset an HHP-8 which apparantly refused to give HEP power for some reason. The ordeal went on for almost two hours even with Bombardier techs standing by trying to lend assistance. They finally gave up and hauled out an E60CH for the Keystone the HHP-8 had been slated to run.
How bout any Concrete in this country, four components mixed at right amounts but it won't last but a few years ?? there are German bunkers still standing in Europe with no wear but here Cenment fails after 8 years ??? from rainwater.
I dunno about you, but I see few buildings in danger of falling over. From the 1950s onward reinforced concrete has been the rule rather than the exception in building materials, yet we're in no real danger of anything collapsing due to poor construction. If you're refering to our highways, then yes, they were stupidly built for 20 year lifetimes with thinner materials than used in Europe (particularly the Autobahn) because the roadbuilders would rather have an extensive highway network than a high quality highway network and knew they could count on government funding for a good long while. Roads which forbid heavy weight commercial vehicles are generally in better shape than interstate highways because passenger cars do very little damage to roads, but those roads are in the vast minority.
Nasadowsk wrote:Heh. IMHO, the Space Shuttle needs to be flown into a museum and left there. I still don't get the point of making something that spends the bulk of it's flying time outside the atmosphere look like an airplane. Ok, other than the biggest whine of Mercury/Gemini/Apollo astronauts was 'it doesn't have wings!!! Wahhhhhhhhhh'. IMHO, history will look at the Shuttle like automobiles styled like horse buggies - an example of people molding a new technology into a shape they can recognize. Sure a 'capsule' looks weird, sure it works weird.
At the risk of further derailing this thread, I would argue the same thing about the proposed Space Shuttle replacement, the Crewwed Exploration Vehicle, which is bound to be a capsule of some sort launched on an expendible rocket. To me it represents a retreat from the technological cutting edge at the expense of cost per point to LEO. Capsules are insanely wasteful, not only are you throwing away a very complex piece of machinery every launch, but you're burning very expensive liquid oxygen in an environment which is 22% oxygen. Vertical launches to orbit attempt to shove a payload to supersonic speeds while still very low in the thick atmosphere and as such will never be as efficient as a horizontal take off and landing single stage to orbit vehicle. NASA has finally proven that they can not only make a Scramjet develop a meaningful thrust, but that it can be controlled and used to power a vehicle, in their case the X-43A HyperX testbed which last November reached Mach 10. With the advent of this technology there is no reason we cannot have what the space shuttle originally promised but never delivered, a cheap, efficient way into low earth orbit from an airport requiring nothing more than a small liquid oxygen facility. A few aerial refuelings and you could set whatever SSTO spaceplane resulted from the X-43 program (presumably called the X-30 NASP) on the equator and launch payloads into GEO for a fraction what Ariane costs today. But I digress, I'd be happy to continue this discussion on Subchat's OT board or somewhere else if anyone cares to pursue it.[/url]

by Nasadowsk

<i>I dunno how EMD and GE manage to turn out decent locomotives then (excepting of course the utter trash that comes out of Super Steal Schenectady).</i>

They do? Nothing either of them has fielded in the 'passenger' realm over themlast 20 - 30 years has been worth writing home about. The Pooches stunk, the GM's 6 axle one stunk, the F-40 was a slow, somewhat flakey, noisy beast that at least functioned. The gennies are decent enough, but DC traction? Come on, this isn't 1950 anymore...

<i>And it's not like Boeing is exactly rolling over in the face of the subsidized Airbus competition.</i>

Oh please. The US government bankrolled the 707's development. Washington gives Boeing huge tax breaks. Boeing's betting the farm on the 787, which relies on a lot of untested technology, and a lot of poorly understood technology. Hey, where have we seen this in comercial aviation before....

I'll predict it now: 15 years from now, Boeing's going to be out of the comercial field. Their bread and butter prouct's are antiques - the 737's a dinosaur, the 747 hasn't gotten a passenger order in a few years now. The 787's a big question mark. A BIG question mark.

<i> Having talked with Amtrak folks and seen some of their maitenance efforts I would say it's highly unlikely those folks are to blame for the HHP-8s problems.</i>

They're sure not helping things much.

<i>The AEM7s and rebuilt AEM7ACs offer both a whole series of both high and low tech problems for the crews to fix and they seem to have little problem tackling and solving them.</i>

Well, the AEM'7s spontanious combustion habit as of late's a low tech problem with a low tech solution - inspect the locomotive and replace failing insulation before it fails and torches an expensive asset. Amtrak's maintenance policy seems to be one of running everything until it's beyond broken, then fixing it eventually.

But, why are we even discussing road failures. There shouldn't be many, if any, and there wouldn't be if Amtrak was in fact properly maintaining their equipment. The NYCTA figured this out 20 years ago - the payoff is that subway cars far older than the AEM-7s are running with reliability numbers that are better.

<i> When it comes to the HHP-8s the damn things just seem to thwart the maitenance crews at nearly every turn. I've sat and watched a crew at 30th St Station try to reset an HHP-8 which apparantly refused to give HEP power for some reason. The ordeal went on for almost two hours even with Bombardier techs standing by trying to lend assistance.</i>

Maybe Amtrak needs better maintenance crews, if they need BBD to hold their hands through life? I can only imagine what this fleet will be like once BBD cuts their losses and their relationship with Amtrak. I'm amazed they haven't, yet.

<i>To me it represents a retreat from the technological cutting edge at the expense of cost per point to LEO. Capsules are insanely wasteful, not only are you throwing away a very complex piece of machinery every launch, but you're burning very expensive liquid oxygen in an environment which is 22% oxygen.</i>

I don't see it that way. Capsules work, and they work a LOT better than the Space Shuttle has. If the shuttle was such a great idea, the Russian one wouldn't be a diner in Moscow. They've been popping off Soyuz capsules regularly for years now. And they work. So far, the shuttle program's wasted more astronauts than the Souyz program has. The problem with the shuttle is it's design exists to satify some emotional impulse, as opposed to filling a real need. It looks like a plane!!! Big whoop. It's very expensive, has very thin safety margins, is beyond complex, and doesn't serve a much of a need.

But, I question even the need for manned spaceflight now. IMHO, the payback just isn't there. Apollo gave us some useful stuff (mostly in management, reliability, testing), but the shuttle's been a dead end for 20 years, and an expensive one at that.

by Gilbert B Norman

MODERATOR'S NOTE

This thread isn't derailed, it's in the chasm.

But carry on, Messrs. Dobner and Nas; you each obviously know what you are talking about and have good command of the appertaining facts and issues.

GBN

by Rail4Life

If Pennsylvania orders locos for harrisburg service what will they be? Will the Pittsburgh trains chane engines in Harrisburg

by Nasadowsk

PA order locos? Why? SEPTA has a whole bunch of low mileage AEM-7s

Otherwise, expect a whole new design thanks to the typical rampant NIHism in the industry.

Realistically, an ALP-46 regeared for 125mph would likely work...

by Wdobner

Nasadowsk wrote:They do? Nothing either of them has fielded in the 'passenger' realm over themlast 20 - 30 years has been worth writing home about. The Pooches stunk, the GM's 6 axle one stunk, the F-40 was a slow, somewhat flakey, noisy beast that at least functioned. The gennies are decent enough, but DC traction? Come on, this isn't 1950 anymore...
The F59PHI is not worth anything? I'll admit the crews seem to have prefered the F69PHACs to the F59s, but they're certainly a decent locomotive. The JT42HW-HS seems to be in the same class as Alstom's diesel Primas and Siemen's Eurorunner locomotives, and they're selling quite well. I know the germans looked at the JT42CWR to replace some of the BR241 diesels, but I think they may have instead banked on multisystem electric locos like the BR189 and a rebuild of their existing locos. The freight railroads in the US could just as easily purchase from Siemens, Bombardier or Alstom yet they don't.
Oh please. The US government bankrolled the 707's development. Washington gives Boeing huge tax breaks. Boeing's betting the farm on the 787, which relies on a lot of untested technology, and a lot of poorly understood technology. Hey, where have we seen this in comercial aviation before....

I'll predict it now: 15 years from now, Boeing's going to be out of the comercial field. Their bread and butter prouct's are antiques - the 737's a dinosaur, the 747 hasn't gotten a passenger order in a few years now. The 787's a big question mark. A BIG question mark.
At this point both manufacturers are betting on largely questionable forecasts. Boeing at least only faces a technological hurdle, Airbus is betting that airlines will be willing to return to a hub and spoke system which has largely fallen out of favor with the airlines and their passengers. There are relatively few markets between which A380s of the larger variety touted by Airbus as future expansions of their original model. As with the Concorde it is possible they'll be able to sell many A380-200s, 300s or 400s as those airliners will simply be too big. Yes Boeing recieves tax breaks from the federal government, but at this point that's the only way they can compete with Airbus.
Well, the AEM'7s spontanious combustion habit as of late's a low tech problem with a low tech solution - inspect the locomotive and replace failing insulation before it fails and torches an expensive asset. Amtrak's maintenance policy seems to be one of running everything until it's beyond broken, then fixing it eventually.

But, why are we even discussing road failures. There shouldn't be many, if any, and there wouldn't be if Amtrak was in fact properly maintaining their equipment. The NYCTA figured this out 20 years ago - the payoff is that subway cars far older than the AEM-7s are running with reliability numbers that are better.
I've heard of some problems with the Alstom Onix IGBTs which the AEM7ACs were equipped with which have largely been dealt with in a quiet manner. Still my one friend at 30th St tells me Alstom is pretty much out of the running should they decide to finish the AEM7AC program. He's trying to get the higher-ups to look at ABB, which still produces traction power supplies, to replace the original Asea thyristors and such. I believe some of Amtrak's problems with maitenance are directly related to their starvation budget which they have recieved for so long.
Maybe Amtrak needs better maintenance crews, if they need BBD to hold their hands through life? I can only imagine what this fleet will be like once BBD cuts their losses and their relationship with Amtrak. I'm amazed they haven't, yet.
Maybe Bombardier needs to deliver locomotives which do not require teams of professional engineers be present to operate them.
Rail4Life wrote:If Pennsylvania orders locos for harrisburg service what will they be? Will the Pittsburgh trains chane engines in Harrisburg
Nasadowsk wrote:PA order locos? Why? SEPTA has a whole bunch of low mileage AEM-7s

Otherwise, expect a whole new design thanks to the typical rampant NIHism in the industry.

Realistically, an ALP-46 regeared for 125mph would likely work...
Like Nawadowsk said, SEPTA has their 7 AEM7s and ALP44s. They could easily turn them over to Amtrak or PennDOT for service operating to and from Harrisburg. It might be a better idea to sell the ALP44 to NJT, since they know what to do with them, while SEPTA's always seems to be broken. If you believe this posting on the SEPTA forum then SEPTA may well be looking for a buyer for their trainsets.
Gilbert B Norman wrote:MODERATOR'S NOTE

This thread isn't derailed, it's in the chasm.

But carry on, Messrs. Dobner and Nas; you each obviously know what you are talking about and have good command of the appertaining facts and issues.

GBN
Well thank you, in that case:
Nasadowsk wrote:I don't see it that way. Capsules work, and they work a LOT better than the Space Shuttle has. If the shuttle was such a great idea, the Russian one wouldn't be a diner in Moscow. They've been popping off Soyuz capsules regularly for years now. And they work. So far, the shuttle program's wasted more astronauts than the Souyz program has. The problem with the shuttle is it's design exists to satify some emotional impulse, as opposed to filling a real need. It looks like a plane!!! Big whoop. It's very expensive, has very thin safety margins, is beyond complex, and doesn't serve a much of a need.
The space shuttle of course was a bad idea. A vertical take off, horizontal landing reusable spaceplane is every bit as bad as a rocket launched capsule. We wound up with a high maitenance low availability truck for spaceflight which offered no savings over expendible rockets. The scramjets which the X-43 program have demonstrated would allow a spaceplane which would not need any launch pad or specialized facilities and which would fly horizontally to orbit instead of chewing up LOX while trying to punch through the lower atmosphere. We could be looking at sub-1000 dollar per pound prices for payloads to low earth orbit through the use of a turbine based combined cycle scramjet with a small boost rocket to get payloads into orbit.

Oddly enough, the Russians are looking to replace the Soyuz with a reusable spaceplane, albeit one still launched on a variant of their venerable SS-6 style booster. The program, currently known as Kliper, is recieving additional funding from the European Space Agency, which seeks to launch it on their Ariane 5 booster. The Lockheed Martin proposal for the Crewwed Exploration Vehicle uses technology which they would have applied to the now cancelled X-33 Venturestar and would closely resemble a smaller version of Kliper. The Boeing proposal for the CEV is a Soyuz-like space capsule which may well not even be reusable. If the Russians can make Kliper work while NASA pursues a capsule-like CEV then we'll be stuck flying Soyuz copies with the Chinese. It'd make sense for NASA not to waste it's money on another capsule program and instead work on licensing the Kliper for launch by our own Delta IVH rockets while pursuing a scramjet using spaceplane based on the X-43, after all, this isn't the 1950s anymore.
But, I question even the need for manned spaceflight now. IMHO, the payback just isn't there. Apollo gave us some useful stuff (mostly in management, reliability, testing), but the shuttle's been a dead end for 20 years, and an expensive one at that.
I would think some of the better examples would come out of both the Skylab and Shuttle programs. Admittedly the Skylab was designed as a manned space station, but when it was damaged during launch an Apollo crew was able to both deploy a heat shield to cover the damaged portion, and enable a stuck solar panel to deploy. The shuttle was able to rescue both the Palapa and Solar Max satellites and was able to perform repairs on the Hubble space telescope. Perhaps the perfect example of the usefulness of human spaceflight was when Story Musgrave was able to get the door closed on the hubble space telescope despite it's not fitting into the opening for it. Without the shuttle it would have been next to impossible for the hubble to have been repaired in the first place, and it would have been extremely difficult with a robot which also would have added it's own problems of time delay between the operator seeing something, making a decision, and that decisions being carried out by the robot.

by GeorgeF

Nasadowsk wrote:I don't see it that way. Capsules work, and they work a LOT better than the Space Shuttle has. If the shuttle was such a great idea, the Russian one wouldn't be a diner in Moscow. They've been popping off Soyuz capsules regularly for years now. And they work. So far, the shuttle program's wasted more astronauts than the Souyz program has. The problem with the shuttle is it's design exists to satify some emotional impulse, as opposed to filling a real need. It looks like a plane!!! Big whoop. It's very expensive, has very thin safety margins, is beyond complex, and doesn't serve a much of a need.
There was no emotional impulse involved in the wings of the Space Shuttle. The design was to facilitate reuse of spacecraft hardware and also not need aircraft carriers and their support group in the ocean. Not cheap. Wings facilitate landing on runways instead of the ocean or snowdrifts, and allow for the possibility of large mass ("weight") of return products and personnel. Today's Shuttle isn't the design originally suggested by NASA, but was scrunched to fit GAO requirements (not all bad, by the way). Reuse was supposed to reduce costs, but that didn't work out... alas. Minus the Shuttle, most of the International Space Station's additions will rust on the ground, and real research cannot be done.

Since the shuttle main engines (not the solids) burn hydrogen and oxygen, which produces (very, very hot) water, the Shuttle is the
world's fastest, heaviest, and most modern steam engine, too...

by hsr_fan

I'd love to jump in to this conversation, but I fear it will stray even further off topic, so if I may refer you to a message board more relevant to the topic....

I'm "vt_hokie" over there, btw! :-D

by Gilbert B Norman

Live and learn, Mr. HSR

I thought that one became a mateorite during the dot bust.
  by NJT Rider

Does anyone know what happened to this unit??? Why is it being stored??? Was there a fire??? The unit is less than 5 years old.

by Nasadowsk

It popped the main transformer, last I heard. My guess is BBD-Alstom-Amtrak are arguing over who's fault it was and who's paying for it. I can't imagine in the entire HHP-8 / Acela order, NOBODY asked for for at least one spare transformer of each type. Not sending it out for a rewind either smells of some sort of legal argument...

Something's not being reported here, you don't go storing a new brand new 7 million dollar locomotive because it blew up a transformer. If anything, any BBD warrenty should have covered it...

by AmtrakFan

The unit was always a problem child.

by Gilbert B Norman

Likely you are on the mark, Mr. Nas; somewhere there is a warranty dispute lurking.

At times, one must wonder who runs the railroad? Often the answer is the lawyers. Look at the charades regarding the Turbos, condiser other badly needed equipment that has been held from service account possibly being needed as evidential matter in pending litigation, and in this instant case, as far as the lawyers are concerned, withdrawing the unit from service enables them to 'run up the claim' to include loss of use.

Oh well, how much love is their between the legal and my profession? Seems like any seminar I attended over my years in practice had to start off with the speaker telling a lawyer joke. But then, when the barristers gather for one of theirs, what profession is on the other end of an opening joke?
  by Eric Kreszl

Hello,

Does anyone have any information regarding these locomotives and photos?

If so please let me know,

Eric