• Amtrak HHP-8 Discussion: Use, Reliability, Disposition

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by MACTRAXX

Guys: Clarifying myself I for one want the Armadillos to succeed-hopefully as was said the bugs are being ironed out and they are "getting down to business" No one but a engineer that has to deal with them all the time would know how they are doing. There are just not enough of them-perhaps 15 more electric motors of some type are what Amtrak would need-maybe with a MBTA "Piggyback" of up to 8 units for the Attleboro-Providence line along with extended service into RI. I WANT them to be part of the solution! MACTRAXX

by nick11a

Yes, since the problems with the Acelas, a lot more HHPs have been out on the rails. Most of them in the same day from what I have seen. And they do seem to be working fine. I too heard rumours and read the stories in magazines about the problems they had in the begining but maybe they've been ironed out.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

i saw 654 this morning and it was doing greeaaatt!!! :-D
  by Rail4Life

I t seems like the HHP-8's are leading the same legacy as there predecesors. Is there much difference in the reliability between the two?

by natethegreat

Yes the HHP-8 had their share of problems wehn they were first delivered, but i believe that their dependability has greatly increased since then.

by DutchRailnut

The HHP-8's are doing fine, just because someone saw a high OOS rate one day they are labeled as unreliable by Railfan communitie.
While the Acela's were out they and AEM7's did keep things going with not much failure.

by AmtrakFan

Lest we forget some of the OOS arises from Periodic Maintenance or Heavy Repairs.

by CSX Conductor

Yes they do seem to be pulling their weight so to speak, even though I know many crews who don't like them and feel they are junk.

by hsr_fan

One thing they share in common with the E60's is a very noticeable lateral oscillation at speed!

by AEM7AC920

They HHP-8's do ride very smooth, but with some recent talks with engineers while riding in the head end, I have herd them say that they "hate them".
  by jp1822

Well the HHP8's continue to baffle me. I have spotted HHP8's running double (two HHP8's assigned to one train) on many occasions, even as recent as yesterday, 8/22 and today 8/23. What's this all about? I thought there was a general electric locomotive shortage on the NEC - with some long distance trains changing to diesel power at Philly, rather than Washington DC to keep the electrics closer to NYP for utilization etc.

There's now way 2 HHP8's are needed to move an 8-10 car Amtrak train.

by hsr_fan

Is it possible to MU an HHP-8 with an AEM-7? I once saw a video clip of a "double header" consisting of an HHP-8 and an AEM-7, but I don't remember if the pantograph was up on the second loco.

by natethegreat

The electric loco shortage has probably partly disapeared since the Acelas began returning. perhaps the 2nd HHP was deadheading somewhere.

by jp1822

Are we back to power (engine) changes in Washington DC, rather than Philadelphia? If so, then Amtrak's getting over the hurdle somewhat. Even when full Acela Express units were in operation, Amtrak often remarked on its electric loco shortage - and to think that the Keystone Corridor Project is going to need at least 4 or so dedicated electric locos once it is restored to full electric service between Harrisburg and NY Penn. I think they will need more than 4 for the Keystone corridor, but that's what one report claimed for full electric restoration on the Keystone corridor to take place. On the other hand - perhaps that's true, since the engine change in Philly will be eliminated - and they needed electric locos here to continue the service to NY which can now stretch their legs to Harrisburg.

by hsr_fan

Any word on the status of AEM-7 #922 and the other one that got fried in a transformer fire (930 perhaps)?