• Amtrak Autumn Express Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by NaugyRR

I kinda wished they pushed the trip up another hour so the first Empire Train could connect. To do this trip I'm either gonna have to get up at the crack of dawn and boogie to Brewster or Po-Town for an early Metro-North train or just stay overnight in Manhattan.
  by Greg Moore

Yeah, that sort of ruins the chances of me taking it.
  by Return to Reading Company Olney Sta

Last year's AXP did a photo run-by at Lancaster
  by Noel Weaver

If Amtrak controls the railroad and the photo run takes place at an existing passenger station, it could and does happen but not out in left field like the run-pasts of years past. I remember years ago on the trip committee when we would go look at spots where we would like to do a run-past. We would pick out four or five and present our ideas to the railroad. The railroad would then consider the conditions at each location and come back to us. The Central Vermont was very good in that respect and the New Haven was also very considerate. If they said no then we had alternatives that we would give to them. Some locations look good to us in a car with just us but try unloading a trainload of a couple of hundred or more and it becomes a much different story. I think photo run-pasts are likely to become history sooner rather than later.
Manpower issues can result too from photo stops, if the crew comes close to the hours of service law then they have to arrange well in advance to have a relief crew ready at a good location and a stop of 30 or more minutes can add to this problem. I remember one New Haven Railroad escapade when we got back to the final terminal the entire crew had about 20 minutes left to work and this will not work today with a trainload of people.
There is a lot of things to consider when planning these sort of trips and you had better do it right the first time.
Noel Weaver
  by Backshophoss

Rhinecliff is proposed photo stop is on the Amtrak Controlled Hudson line,might double as the crew change point for the run into NY Penn.
Also you will have a CSX pilot crew and "officaldom" to work with as well.
  by hazmatmess

If this were to happen, would this train get priority on the River Sub? If so, at track speed, how long would it take to get from CP7 to CP41 (Ridgefield Park to Bear Mountain). Just wondering for photo ops and where to see it. Normally we go to Ridgefield Park and I think it would be great to get a picture of an Amtrak train pairing the old station. But I love Iona Island for the scenery.
Yesterday it took Q010 about two hours to make it down to CP 10 from Haverstraw. According to google maps, it should take about 45 minutes to get front Ridgefield to Bear Mountain. So I am wondering if it'll be possible to shoot it at both locations.
  by Noel Weaver

If this trip runs on both Saturday and Sunday I would suggest you do one day at each. With the kind of roads in New Jersey I would not advise you to try to do both the same day. Some of this trackage is 50 MPH and a passenger train even with the same top speeds as freight trains will get over the road faster than a freight or IM train will. I posted a link on the Union Pacific a while back, Here is the link on here, I suggest it be read by all who are thinking for chasing this train.

http://www.enterprisepub.com/news/local ... 0de94.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Noel Weaver
  by Backshophoss

This is not a train to chase,You have to remember getting to river shore line is limited in places,just pick a few locations to get pics!
Remember NY state police is not happy with scanners in cars.
Figure on MAS(70-80 mph) on the Amtrak and MN Hudson line back to NY Penn.
From Hunter Tower to Northern Jct is Industrial wasteland,and roads don't follow the rails,and there will be commercial traffic to deal with!
Figure on local PD's getting a heads up from Amtrak,CSX and MN PD's as well.
  by njtmnrrbuff

I am very happy that the other side of the Hudson will get to see an Amtrak train. Due to school and financial commitments, I won't be riding it. However, if it is going to run on Sunday the 15th, I will definately be photographing it. I don't know yet, but I can tell you this. Both runs, I will probably be somewhere in the Hudson Valley in the Metro North service area, above Peekskill.

Yes, I wouldn't consider chasing this excursion, especially once the train is on "home rails." You will probably not want to even think about following it when it is on CSX rails. Pick your spots and there are plenty of them.
  by hazmatmess

Since I plan on being on it on the Sunday, being at both places one day each probably isn't happening.
Interesting link, idiot driver. No insurance, speeding, reckless driving.... I have had a clean driving record ever since getting my license over 20 years ago and I have no plans on ruining that over a train. Most likely just going to head upstate early, get a good spot with my son and enjoy the day. Ridgefield Park will probably be a nightmare.

Thanks for the tip regarding the NYSP and scanners. Being a licensed amateur radio operator for about 25 years, I'm well aware of the rules. :wink:

I don't chase trains and wasn't planning on chasing the train. Was just wondering if it would be possible to make it to the second spot. I do not know the track speed between Ridgefield Park (CP-7) and Iona Island (CP-41) and do not know if CSX is going to give this train the priority on the River Sub all the way up to Selkirk on a Saturday.

I have no problem sitting in one spot for the day. I would never put anyone's life in jeopardy for any reason.
  by Noel Weaver

Sorry about that
Last edited by Noel Weaver on Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Noel Weaver

If the weather is decent and you feel motivated you could probably drive further north from Brar Mountain to Catskill and try the bridge there. The special has territory where the top speed is a bit less than 50 and the NY Thruway is probably good for 65. Head for the 9W bridge in Catskill. Be careful and good luck. A dry run might be worth considering. Maybe Iona Island crossing would work but there will be others with the same idea on this case.
Noel Weaver
  by hazmatmess

Noel Weaver wrote:Sorry about that
No reason to be sorry. I'm proud of my clean record. LoL

A dry run is a very good idea. The 45 min ETA from Ridgefield Park to Bear Mtn is 80 to 17 to the GSP to the NY Thruway to the Palisades Pkwy. It's a straight run that I've made from Staten Island in about 1:10min. Going to try a dry run next Saturday. I would start at 830am or as close to it once a train passes at Ridgefield Park and see ifI catch it at Beat Mountain.

I'm just wondering if this train is going to take priority over the line. Should be a busy day on the River Sub if they're going to hold everything until it passes.

I just can't wait to surprise my son again with tickets for it.

Last year he kind of figured it out when we got to Penn Station. But the look on his face when we had the physical tickets was all worth it.