• Amtrak Autumn Express Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Gilbert B Norman

gprimr1 wrote:That is one thing I like to see in the Autumn Express, using high-speed trackage when possible for the return home.
"On the mark" Mr. Primrose; while I no longer go on fan trips, I can recall one when I did. This was a 1970 SRY/GA Charleston to Atlanta with SRY 4501 "unassisted; on the head".

Predictably, "everything went wrong". The schedule? What's that! By the time it got to Augusta, it was hours late - and I had a flight back to here (and work next morning).

I think the consensus, or at least it was mine, "get rid of that teakettle (4501 was a Branch Line freight engine) and let's get home". The GA GP-9's "had the railroad", a stop was arranged at Stone Mountain and taxicabs called as there were several others who had to make flights.

Mine was 10PM; the taxicab pulled into Hartsfield 945P. I made the flight - no security back in those days (and KATL half its present size); just "move it".
  by CarterB

Noel Weaver wrote:Scuttlebutt is weekend of October 14 and 15, NYP to Newark to former LV NK Tower, change ends former New York Central West Shore to Selkirk ...
Route from NK to the West Shore?
  by Return to Reading Company Olney Sta

Last year's AXP took the "fast route home", returning to NYP from Rockville via the Keystone route and NEC. That may well have been in response to suggestions from passengers on the earlier trips, as the long ride back was a common point heard on earlier trips.

They also moved the last 2 trips up prior to the fall time change; on the first couple years not only was the trip back getting tedious but much of it in the dark as well.
  by Noel Weaver

I believe it will be NK, Oak Island, Upper Bay, National Docks, former Erie tunnel, Croxton anf continue to North Bergin. This involves the elevated trackage through Jersey City which is an interesting route. This trip sounds like a real winner and I 'll bet it sells out fast. There is a lot of rare mileage on this one.iu
Noel Weaver
  by hazmatmess

If this is true, this is going to be a HUGE surprise for my son. Last year, we watched it go by at Bound Brook and I surprised him the next day by taking him on it. This year will be the same. Two years in a row on ROWs where we watch the trains go by. He has been asking if we were going on the Autumnal Express again.....
  by CarterB

Anyone who gets a early "head's up" on trip details and when we can buy tickets....please post here!!

Thanks!!
  by JimBoylan

WARNING: This is only a rumor, I found it here:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TCA ... ages/83674
WJC may be West Jersey Chapter:

WJC E-Gram - Amtrak 2017 Fall Foliage Special: West Shore Trip

I have just learned from a friend at Amtrak that a fall foliage special will be operated over the West Shore RR on two days in October.

The trips will operate on Oct. 14 and 15. The trains will leave NYP at 8 am and NWK at 8:30. They will proceed to the LV at NK, change ends, thence thru Oak Island, over Upper Bay, over the National Docks Branch, thru the Erie Bergen tunnels and up the River Line [West Shore] to CP SK outside Selkirk. There the train will change ends and return over the high Castleton Bridge and down the Hudson Line to Penn Station with a possible photo stop at Rhinecliff. Return to NYP should be about 6 pm.

This has not yet been announced but will be shortly. Tickets are programmed to go on sale about Sept. 12.

Once the tickets go on sale they probably will sell out in a few days as all the mileage collectors will come from far and wide.
  by kitn1mcc

Nice run.Would be nice if they would stop to discharge those who wanted on the hundson line to get on the MN into GCT
  by hs3730

I'd appreciate a drop off at Hudson or Poughkeepsie so I don't have to go all the way back into NYC just to come back up to Albany :).
  by Greg Moore

Same here!
  by Noel Weaver

I think I read somewhere that there would be a photo run at Rhinecliff, that should serve the needs of folks who want to return to Albany. I didn't hear of any other stops on the return but a quick stop at Croton-Harmon would serve the purpose for a Metro-North connection quite nicely.
Noel Weaver
  by Acela150

A reliable source over on another forum has posted this information related to the Fall Trip. The only thing that wasn't posted was sell dates for tickets.
  by Gilbert B Norman

From OBB RailJet 742 near Linz AT

Photo stop, does Amtrak do that on their excursions?

I can recall a fan trip NY to Cape Cod during Spring 1969 (Mr. Weaver, I think you were there as well) when it was time for a photo stop. Some "daisy picker" gals were asking why was everyone getting off. The car host told them it was a.photo stop and the train was going to back up and run forward. "You mean they are going to take pictures of the train?" In some kind of astonished tone.

Now moving at 200kph.
  by deathtopumpkins

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Photo stop, does Amtrak do that on their excursions?
They did not on the Albany one, but I think they might have on others (I've only been on the one).
  by Noel Weaver

I think the big problem with photo runs on main line track is two fold. l One the freight railroad that owns the track would not allow such stops to tie up their railroad, it is difficult enough to get them to allow such a train to operate, ride, enjoy the trip and let somebody else do the photography. Second the liability issues are too great to Amtrak and the freight railroad involved to allow folks to get off the train at someplace that is not a passenger station with no platforms and uncertain footing. Lawyers are advertiseing all the time on TV for injury cases, one mishap on a trip and they would have a field day and the railroad would positively say NO MORE TRIPS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PERIOD. That Amtrak has been able and willing to run such a unique trip for a few years now is a feather in their cap, don't rock the boat. Even in my days working the River Line 35 to 40 years ago there was no passenger station platform remaining so today it is even less than no.
Noel Weaver