Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Autumn Express Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1402717  by CentralValleyRail

jackintosh11 wrote:I think it would be even better if it started out of Philly, went to Harrisburg, then went on the same route to NYC but in reverse, then ran around the Sunnyside loop and went back to Philly.
LOL so it could convenience you? Didn't you guys just have a trip start in philly recently?

I'm glad this one is starting in NY and making a stop in NWK. Definitely interested in riding...

Jim not gonna happen.

*Side note* Since there are two Amtrak trains departing at 8:00 and 8:05 i wonder how they'll slot in the Autumn Express.
 #1402739  by jackintosh11

I was actually thinking because they've done a trip that goes around the NY-Pittsburgh subway already this year, maybe do another segment of track that's used by Amtrak but rarely seen by passengers.
Last edited by GirlOnTheTrain on Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Stop quoting posts immediately preceding yours.
 #1402745  by Gilbert B Norman

Oh well, they must have been playing Monopoly at 60 Mass, and someone drew the Chance card "Take a ride.on.the Reading" :-D :P
 #1402751  by usroadman

I agree that coming back on the Keystone and NEC makes a lot of sense. As much as I liked the concept the last 2 years of see one side of the tracks on the way out and the other on the way back so you don't miss anything, in practice even I was pretty much done with the 20 mph running by 4 pm or so. It will be nice to return at speed this time.

I can understand some people "disappearing" at Lancaster if they live down that way. I was thinking a 5 minute stop at Paoli and either North Philadelphia or Trenton would be a big bonus to folks in southeast PA and south Jersey so they could hop on SEPTA to get home and avoid a ride all the way back to the New York area. Doesn't matter to me since I live north of NYC anyway, but I'm sure a fair number of folks will be from south of NYC.
 #1402772  by gprimr1

It wasn't as bad on the Pan Am trip as it was on the Philly-Harrisburg via Redding.

By about halfway back, it was so dark you couldn't see anything, and that 10mph running through the town was hell.
 #1402982  by gprimr1

I agree that's the only interesting part :) Very interesting. Looks like it's going to be a long chance and no where near as easy as last year.

Does anyone know what kind of speeds the line is rated for? I know Redding has the 10mph section.
 #1402988  by ThirdRail7

jackintosh11 wrote:I think it would be even better if it started out of Philly, went to Harrisburg, then went on the same route to NYC but in reverse, then ran around the Sunnyside loop and went back to Philly.
If things drag, there is a good chance that some of the rare mileage portion may be in the dark with that route.
JimBoylan wrote:Could these trips be so popular that 2 could be run each day, in opposite directions, but using the same train crews in under 12 hours?
Will they really turn the train near Harrisburg, or just run the locomotives around the train?
There's barely enough equipment for the train that is operating. To make up for it, the Acela sets will likely pinch hit for a few of the regional trains just like last year.
gprimr1 wrote:I agree that's the only interesting part :) Very interesting. Looks like it's going to be a long chance and no where near as easy as last year.

Does anyone know what kind of speeds the line is rated for? I know Redding has the 10mph section.
The highest speed on the rare mileage portion is 60mph where NJT operates. Otherwise, portions of the various routes max out at 50mph for freight trains. I suspect passenger trains won't operate above the freight speed.
 #1403021  by njtmnrrbuff

Due to school and other financial commitments, I don't think that I will get to ride it but I will certainly photograph it in several places.
1. 10-29: either Union or Roselle Pk and somewhere near Trenton in the afternoon.

2. 10-30: a big if assuming that I don't anticipate too much homework-I may photograph him in the Easton area. How long would it take for the excursion to travel from NWK Penn to Easton?
 #1403095  by Jeff Smith

This aggravates me: http://amtrak.bnr.corpmerchandise.com/ProductList.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
IMPORTANT ORDER DETAILS: These products are not currently in stock and are considered pre-order items. Products will not be produced until the order window has closed, unless otherwise noted on the site and your order confirmation. These custom-made-to-order items do not allow for exchanges or refunds.
This shirt will be made to order, and will not be available elsewhere. Sales will close on Sunday 10/09/2016 at 11:59 pm CST. Select your size and click "Order" below to receive this limited-time-only Autumn Express Thermal T-Shirt. To complete your secure order, you will be required to log-in or create an Amtrak Store account. Orders will ship approximately 3-4 weeks after the order window closes provided a minimum demand threshold is met. Orders are only charged if shipped, and are not expected to arrive prior to the excursion.
 #1403151  by ThirdRail7

What aggravates you? The fact that it will arrive after the trip? The price? The lack of color options? Is it the pre-order policy? None of the above? All of the above?
 #1403287  by mzu2006

How can I login to that website? When I try to follow the link above it says "unauthorized"
 #1403300  by gp80mac

gprimr1 wrote:It wasn't as bad on the Pan Am trip as it was on the Philly-Harrisburg via Redding.

By about halfway back, it was so dark you couldn't see anything, and that 10mph running through the town was hell.
I'm surprised they took the risk of running through downtown Reading. Not exactly the best area, esp at 10mph - (slow speed makes an easier target for the rock throwers).