• Amtrak Autumn Express Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by gprimr1

With the 10 and 20 mph sections, it's a shame they couldn't work out a deal with CSX to come back the B&A.
  by Sprinter611

Here is another video of the Autumn Express by yours truly. We caught it at many different spots such as the Hoosac Tunnel, Zoar, Charlemont, Shelburne Falls, East deerfield, Red Barn, & other spots too!!! This is a real must see video of the train rolling through the foliage, over trestles, through the towns, & out of tunnels. Thanks !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec-vVL-620g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Marty Feldner

Two P40's, 11 Amfleets: roughly 1/4 mile long.

If you're asking for total mileage traveled, no idea.
  by usroadman

jackintosh11 wrote:What was the total mileage of this train?
The trip guide they gave out said 118.85 miles each way.
  by Lincoln78

Was reading the wall decorations at the Colonial Inn in Concord, MA and found an advertisement for an 1895 excursion from Boston to the Hoosac Tunnel. Price from Boston? $3. Pricing was much more reasonable when boarding from further west.

/One more event to plan for when we get time travel.
  by Noel Weaver

$3.00????? - NO WAY, in this period the going prices for a trip were in maybe 25 to 35 dollar range, maybe more. I don't think there were any trips of that nature actually operated on the B & M as I seem to recall they had a rather nasty labor situation around that time and no excursions anywhere.
Noel Weaver
  by BostonUrbEx

Adjusted for inflation, that'd be about $86. Pretty decent. $25-35 would be $750-1000. Completely insane.

I also don't know when the B&M acquired the Fitchburg RR or any of that stuff out west, but I'm guessing not yet at the time.
  by Lincoln78

I have some HS friends who play there monthly. Hope to get back next month- will get details. Looks like an 1895 journey would have been under the Fitchburg Railway flag.

I went to a historical record called "Wikipedia" starting with B&M and found:

B&M RR: "The B&M leased the Fitchburg Railroad on July 1, 1900. This was primarily a main line from Boston west via the Hoosac Tunnel to the Albany, New York, area, with various branches. On December 1, 1919, the B&M purchased the Fitchburg Railroad.

Hoosac Tunnel: "The tunnel and Troy and Greenfield Railroad were bought by the Fitchburg Railroad in 1877. The Boston and Maine Railroad bought the Fitchburg Railroad in 1900."

I suspect even $3 was out of reach for a lot of people.
  by mspang311

Is there any word of if/when/where the autumn express will occur this year?
  by gprimr1

Any rumblings on if they will run it and where?

Going to be hard to beat last year's Pan Am trip.
  by mspang311

Things are very quiet.
  by Sisko24

That's a fair point, however the farewell to the AEM-7 seemed like a special 'one off' excursion and while the Autumn Express seemed to be a regularly scheduled seasonal one. So unless they've decided to cancel them altogether, I expect them to have an autumn excursion for this year. I hope I'm right.