• Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Greg Moore

I'll admit I have no idea who he is or what he looks like. But interesting to know.
  by Dookie

ACS 637 just went eastbound past Paoli with a P42 in tow on the front of the Pennsylvanian. ACS pan was up and P42 also had engine running. Was this some kind of test?
  by ExCon90

Go to All Things Pennsylvanian, page 19, beginning with the post by Amtrak67; that and subsequent posts about cover it.
  by SRich

ExCon90 wrote:Go to All Things Pennsylvanian, page 19, beginning with the post by Amtrak67; that and subsequent posts about cover it.
where is that ?

@before me:
:-D
How is that happend, cooking an transformer?
  by ExCon90

SRich wrote:
ExCon90 wrote:Go to All Things Pennsylvanian, page 19, beginning with the post by Amtrak67; that and subsequent posts about cover it.
where is that ?
That was in response to a question posted by Dookie on March 8 at 3.42 pm.
  by ApproachMedium

Transformers are cooled with oil just like your car engine is cooled with liquid. When that oil goes away, or stops being pumped it overheats and bad things happen. Same thing happens to a transformer.
  by F40CFan

ACeInTheHole wrote:654 has managed to cook its transformer.
Brings to mind the old saying; "If it could cook, I'd marry it."
  by SRich

That is strange, i that the inventers are redundant so if 1 fail, the standby unit could take it over.

@approach

If the cooling fails of the transformer, i guess is should trip....
  by DutchRailnut

Hep failure can be many things, and not always the locomotive, a jumper failure is enough to kill HEP.
  by ApproachMedium

If 1 half of the HEP fails the other half is plenty of keep the systems running. If the working half fails, then you have nothing. If the HEP cables loose trainline you can still keep lights on when the train is moving it will just shut down anytime you stop. unless they pull a cable and drag it its pretty tough to just kill HEP on these things.
  by amtrakhogger

ACeInTheHole wrote:https://flic.kr/p/EHciyA discuss.
Said loco was outside shop today sunning itself.