• Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Greg Moore

acelaphillies wrote:Here is a link that I found:
http://youtu.be/8ory_tDF68c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks nice, very similar to the #42. Once again, a very nice tribute made by Amtrak. I will have fun chasing this one down this summer.

Out of curiosity, I must have missed it, but why #42 and #642? (i.e. what's significant about the number 42? (in this specific case) The first person who quotes Hitchhiker's Guide gets a dirty look.)
  by acelaphillies

Greg Moore wrote:
acelaphillies wrote:Here is a link that I found:
http://youtu.be/8ory_tDF68c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks nice, very similar to the #42. Once again, a very nice tribute made by Amtrak. I will have fun chasing this one down this summer.

Out of curiosity, I must have missed it, but why #42 and #642? (i.e. what's significant about the number 42? (in this specific case) The first person who quotes Hitchhiker's Guide gets a dirty look.)
I was under the impression that they chose the #42 because it was in for a routine paint job. Then, I guess they chose the #642 to stick with a common theme.

The Amtrak Ink issue that features #42 does not specify a reason for the numbering either: http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/761/589/Amt ... y-2013.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by oat324

nice
Last edited by oat324 on Sun May 17, 2015 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by acelaphillies

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing. I notice that they have it right there with the #643. Are those two gearing up for a test run? My guess is that they will also do a publicity event for the #642. Washington D.C. would be the natural choice for that.
  by ACeInTheHole

641 is in the way, it did not do its Boston run because of the derailment.
  by Fan Railer

ACeInTheHole wrote:641 is in the way, it did not do its Boston run because of the derailment.
Well, you know that they don't necessarily have to go in order...
  by F40CFan

644 and 645 were in Chicago today. I saw them around 11:45am in the yard. Half an hour later, I went past the same spot again and they were gone.
  by ThirdRail7

Fan Railer wrote:
ACeInTheHole wrote:641 is in the way, it did not do its Boston run because of the derailment.
Agreed. Neither 632 or 639 has been tested yet 640 started (and flubbed) testing.

As for 833, it is not a test train. It was an inspection train for the grand poobahs.
  by ACeInTheHole

ThirdRail7 wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:
Agreed. Neither 632 or 639 has been tested yet 640 started (and flubbed) testing.

As for 833, it is not a test train. It was an inspection train for the grand poobahs.
Thanks for the note on 833.

639 went with 636. I forgot about 632, and no wonder why 640 hasnt come up yet in revenue.
  by ACeInTheHole

644 and 645 are in Chicago.

637 was being... Well, 637. It suffered cab signal failure... again.. Which meant 600 had to provide assistance in New Haven. They doubleheaded from there down to DC.
  by Gilbert B Norman

If they are being released by Siemens in numerical order, then there are 24 to go - unless 601 and 629 are written off and two additional units are tacked on.

I believe the AEM-7 line was still open when there was a loss, and it was replaced with a tack on. Also related of sorts was the two units in the "East River Meet" atop HGB became one unit.

While the likelihood that, should anyone here be in the know whether or not either 601 or 629 are reparable, their lips are "Zip Locked", it will be interesting to learn the fate of those two units.