• ALP-45DP's - Usage and Delivery

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by ryanov

My friend was on a train pulled by one of these the other morning. Apparently it would not switch to diesel and ended up limping to Hoboken on one of the engines.
  by 25Hz

ryanov wrote:My friend was on a train pulled by one of these the other morning. Apparently it would not switch to diesel and ended up limping to Hoboken on one of the engines.
Well, at least we know they can do that vs just be stuck.
  by BuddSilverliner269

Passed 4501 plus 4 comets at Hudson going down the coast line as a test train.
  by sixty-six

I've had 'em work flawlessly so far. Electric mode with 3-4 cars can run an MU schedule no problem.
  by 25Hz

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Passed 4501 plus 4 comets at Hudson going down the coast line as a test train.
That's exciting!
  by M1 9147

So the question is now what, is NJT testing the flaws in the DP's so that there is no issue if and when Amtrak will let them use them in regular service to New York Penn?
  by lirr42

They could also be waiting on the FDNY to allow these desiel fuel-loaded contraptions into NYP. LIRR and Amtrak already operate dual-modes into Penn, but these ones have pantographs on the top. A brand new technology that hasnt really been tried and tested just yet. FDNY might need a bit of coaxing to get these thongs on revenue trains.
  by lensovet

lirr42 wrote:They could also be waiting on the FDNY to allow these desiel fuel-loaded contraptions into NYP. LIRR and Amtrak already operate dual-modes into Penn, but these ones have pantographs on the top. A brand new technology that hasnt really been tried and tested just yet. FDNY might need a bit of coaxing to get these thongs on revenue trains.
thongs eh
  by lirr42

A typo...people make them all the time. We need not point them out incessantly.
  by DutchRailnut

Does anyone actually know of FDNY objections or is this regular railbuff claptrap.
  by ApproachMedium

DutchRailnut wrote:Does anyone actually know of FDNY objections or is this regular railbuff claptrap.
I second this question. I too would like to know.
  by DutchRailnut

Fuel has been on locomotives in NYP since steam days, GG-1's -EP5's etc all carried fuel for boilers. The FL-9's and Turbo liners carried fuel.
todays engines carry fuel in multiple smaller tanks and in fuel bladders, and are safer than anything in past.
besides railroads are Federal property and NYFD has only courtesy on said property.
  by ACeInTheHole

4534 is in service.. Just saw it in Short Hills as I was driving by.
  by Tommy Meehan

DutchRailnut wrote:Does anyone actually know of FDNY objections or is this regular railbuff claptrap.
cruiser939 wrote:They can physically operate into PSNY through the North River tunnels but they'd have to get the ok from the FDNY.
I don't know why you have such a problem with this. We've been down this road many times.

What do you have against firefighters? :(

I don't get it.
  by DutchRailnut

Nothing Tommy, yet FDNY has no powers on railroads, as they are federal property and federal rules, not NYC rules.