• ALP-45DP's - Usage and Delivery

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by ACeInTheHole

blockline4180 wrote:Got a report that it was all ALP-45 this morning for the Gladstone- Hoboken trains.... There were 3 Different 45's observed and presumably changed from electric to diesel power at Newark Broad... It will be interesting to see NJT keep these runs all Alp's.... I'm guessing they are afraid of NIMBY backlash in Gladstone complaining about those big bad diesels???
Haha It makes sense for NJT to keep those with the 45s, the Gladstone people are not used to hearing diesels, and the GP40s are extremely loud with their HEPs running, so it makes sense to send the 45s up to keep noise levels where those communities are used to.
  by lirr42

blockline4180 wrote:Got a report that it was all ALP-45 this morning for the Gladstone- Hoboken trains.... There were 3 Different 45's observed and presumably changed from electric to diesel power at Newark Broad... It will be interesting to see NJT keep these runs all Alp's.... I'm guessing they are afraid of NIMBY backlash in Gladstone complaining about those big bad diesels???
If they complain, just tell them you either get loud trains or no trains at all.
  by ACeInTheHole

lirr42 wrote:
If they complain, just tell them you either get loud trains or no trains at all.
I prefer the route NJT is going with that, they have the equipment that could negate the mayhem altogether, so they're using it. Besides a 45 in electric mode on the back of a 3 car Comet set brings a whole new meaning to the term "fast train", a faster more economical ride is even better for the customers who use the train.
  by Silverliner II

chuchubob wrote:
ryanov wrote:A little off topic, but maybe not. Check out the horns on the Montreal units -- multilevels too. No shortage of bells for sure!

http://www.canadianrailwayobservations. ... 2amtgo.htm
One set of horns for English and one for French.
As it was told to me by a friend from the Montreal area, the dual horns came about so as to eliminate daily horn testing as part of the daily inspections of locomotives and cab cars at a few outlying commuter yards where residents began complaining about the noise. Now, if one set of horns fail, engineers simply switch to the other set. VIA Rail has been installing a second set of horns on their P42 fleet and their rebuilt F40's are getting two sets of horns as well.
  by sixty-six

beanbag wrote:
Haha It makes sense for NJT to keep those with the 45s, the Gladstone people are not used to hearing diesels, and the GP40s are extremely loud with their HEPs running, so it makes sense to send the 45s up to keep noise levels where those communities are used to.
Actually, it's to conserve fuel, since the only dead catenary is from the MMC to Hoboken.
  by Kaback9

sixty-six wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Actually, it's to conserve fuel, since the only dead catenary is from the MMC to Hoboken.
The geeps have been going up there for the past thirty years albeit not on a regular basis. I don't think noise is an issue.
  by ACeInTheHole

sixty-six wrote:
beanbag wrote:
That too.
  by ACeInTheHole

I'm sorry for the double post but editing this into the last one wouldn't make it sho w up, last night I saw 4502 in Millburn, timetable westbound, it was in diesel mode, no idea if the train was for Summit or Gladstone, I have noticed in prior sightings of the Summit shuttles that the 45s are always in diesel on those trains. My question is, why is there a discrepancy here?
  by Jishnu

beanbag wrote:I'm sorry for the double post but editing this into the last one wouldn't make it sho w up, last night I saw 4502 in Millburn, timetable westbound, it was in diesel mode, no idea if the train was for Summit or Gladstone, I have noticed in prior sightings of the Summit shuttles that the 45s are always in diesel on those trains. My question is, why is there a discrepancy here?
I am seeing more and more ALP45s in E mode go by my window between Short Hills and Summit, and yet there are a few that go by in D mode, though the number has gone down considerably of late. So does this have something to do with the alleged overheating issue in E mode on some specific units, that I have heard rumors about? Or is that whole thing an urban legend?
  by blockline4180

Jishnu wrote:
beanbag wrote:I'm sorry for the double post but editing this into the last one wouldn't make it sho w up, last night I saw 4502 in Millburn, timetable westbound, it was in diesel mode, no idea if the train was for Summit or Gladstone, I have noticed in prior sightings of the Summit shuttles that the 45s are always in diesel on those trains. My question is, why is there a discrepancy here?
I am seeing more and more ALP45s in E mode go by my window between Short Hills and Summit, and yet there are a few that go by in D mode, though the number has gone down considerably of late. So does this have something to do with the alleged overheating issue in E mode on some specific units, that I have heard rumors about? Or is that whole thing an urban legend?
It probably has nothing to do with anything..... Probably just has to do with whether the boss wants it in E or D mode that particular trip or day!!
  by nomis

4512 is reported to have departed the black hole known as Selkirk, heading west on Q393 towards Chicago ...
  by 25Hz

nomis wrote:4512 is reported to have departed the black hole known as Selkirk, heading west on Q393 towards Chicago ...
Was that the one going for testing in CO?
  by srock1028

25Hz wrote:Was that the one going for testing in CO?
No, it is going to San Antonio TX for emissions testing.
-NO BS
  by 25Hz

srock1028 wrote:
-NO BS
I've been there! Boring city.
  by morris&essex4ever

25Hz wrote:
srock1028 wrote:
-NO BS
I've been there! Boring city.
San Antonio is anything but boring.