Railroad Forums 

• ALP-45-DP Usage/Service Patterns

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1272248  by ACeInTheHole

Fan Railer wrote:I suppose if ridership didn't jump THAT much, they can relegate a few of the unneeded cars elsewhere.
One of the PL sets also came from Hoboken it seems. The 4025 is in that round of pics I took inhoboken (Fan Railer you know what Im referring to), but yet also showed up yesterday at Roselle. Srock am I onto something here with the PL42s rotating between Hoboken and Raritan?
 #1272441  by 25Hz

ThirdRail7 wrote:
CNJGeep wrote:
kilroy wrote:The RVL has six-cars sets and only one seven-car set.
I wonder how long that has been the case, since the line went to all 7-ML upon the start of through service. I know prior to that six cars and one seven was normal.
A cursory scan reveals most of the RVL trains run with 7 cars. I remembering NJT saying they were making them longer since the inbound Pulaski Skyway is closed for a few years. I also noticed a large amount of the trains are equipped with the Alp-45s.

I'm sure Srock can expand upon my findings.
Makes you wonder if this was planned to happen after the dual modes proved to be successful or just coincidence......
 #1272624  by CNJGeep

It's the biggest conspiracy of the decade, and you've just cracked it.

A team of professionals has been dispatched to your location.
 #1272661  by ryanov

I just saw something recently, maybe in FYI, that said that RVL trains had a car added. So my guess is if they were mostly six, they're now mostly seven.
 #1272786  by srock1028

ThirdRail7 wrote:
CNJGeep wrote:
kilroy wrote:The RVL has six-cars sets and only one seven-car set.
I wonder how long that has been the case, since the line went to all 7-ML upon the start of through service. I know prior to that six cars and one seven was normal.
A cursory scan reveals most of the RVL trains run with 7 cars. I remembering NJT saying they were making them longer since the inbound Pulaski Skyway is closed for a few years. I also noticed a large amount of the trains are equipped with the Alp-45s.

I'm sure Srock can expand upon my findings.
At the March 2nd schedule change, ALL RVL trains (10 starts) were programmed to run with 7ML and ALP45-DP. This was because of the Pulaski Skyway closure.
Effective today, 7 RVL starts will go back to having 6ML sets and 3 will be 7ML sets. All 10 sets are still programmed to run with ALP45-DP locos.
 #1277822  by philipmartin

First impression. I got the thrill I've been waiting for for a long time, right now at Anandale. An ALP45 (4528) in diesel mode. What a funny, undiesel like sound. It sounds like a giant vacuum cleaner. It reminds me of the sound the New Haven's ignitron rectifiers made when they were under load, (started moving,) the loud whining blowers.
Last edited by philipmartin on Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1277933  by Dcell

Any reason why the ALP-45s have been running into Broad Street Station under diesel power? The pans have been down the last 2 weeks at least -- is there an issue with the locomotives?
 #1279444  by sixty-six

Fan Railer wrote:Had 4506 shoving a 10 car ML set on the NEC recently. Topped out at 88-89 mph running east towards NY on the fast part of the Corridor.
Which is what it's supposed to be doing.
 #1279481  by F40

Fan Railer wrote:Had 4506 shoving a 10 car ML set on the NEC recently. Topped out at 88-89 mph running east towards NY on the fast part of the Corridor.
How I miss those "100 mph" days.
 #1279553  by Fan Railer

sixty-six wrote:
MAS for the MLs is still 90?
 #1279628  by srock1028

Fan Railer wrote:
sixty-six wrote:
MAS for the MLs is still 90?
No, MAS for the MLs is 100MPH. MAS for the ALP-45's is 90.
Oh by the way, just like some other people on here, I will no longer be posting all of the factual information as I've done in the past. Look at what happened in the NJCL Bay Head Express thread and thank two of the posters in there for it.
Last edited by srock1028 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1279647  by train2

For someone outside the Transit area, and who doesn't watch this board daily, how are these dual powered loco working out? Any major issues?