Railroad Forums 

• ALP-45-DP Usage/Service Patterns

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1293561  by transit383

For what it's worth, ALP-45 no. 4500 was in revenue service on the Atlantic City Line today (9/17).
 #1299726  by NJT4149

ALP-45DPs make an occasional visit to the lower NJCL, maybe once every few weeks. They go to Bay Head on X233 on weekends and sit in the yard until the morning rush on Monday, when they push a 2300 train to Hoboken. Once they reach Hoboken, they are typically taken off and replaced with either a Geep or PL42AC.
 #1301711  by transit383

When ALP-45s are used on 2300 series trains, do they operate in electric mode between Hoboken and Long Branch?
 #1301730  by srock1028

transit383 wrote:When ALP-45s are used on 2300 series trains, do they operate in electric mode between Hoboken and Long Branch?
There is a special instruction out there in reference to this, but as not to post to much specific information, some 2300 series can operate into and out of Hoboken in electric mode.
 #1301734  by ACeInTheHole

srock1028 wrote:
transit383 wrote:When ALP-45s are used on 2300 series trains, do they operate in electric mode between Hoboken and Long Branch?
There is a special instruction out there in reference to this, but as not to post to much specific information, some 2300 series can operate into and out of Hoboken in electric mode.
I am going to go with the assumption that this has to do with some kind of test program to revise the regulation disallowing ALP45s in. E mode into the terminal?
 #1301788  by srock1028

ACeInTheHole wrote:
srock1028 wrote:
I am going to go with the assumption that this has to do with some kind of test program to revise the regulation disallowing ALP45s in. E mode into the terminal?
Now you should know what happens when people assume...
 #1301839  by TSRTOM

Random observations/question -

Last weekend on the Morristown line spotted 2 of these units each with 8 bi-levels - one eastbound pushing and one westbound pulling at Convent. Both were running in deisel mode....why ? Also, the westbound was running 24 minutes late and obviously struggling for enough power to move it's consist anywhere near normal ( guessing reason it was so far behind schedule ).

So why were both in deisel mode under wire and if there presumedly was something wrong with the prime mover, why didn't the crew switch to electric mode ?

thanks
 #1301848  by ACeInTheHole

srock1028 wrote:
ACeInTheHole wrote:
srock1028 wrote:
Poor word choice there, but you get the general question I was asking.
 #1301931  by srock1028

ACeInTheHole wrote:
srock1028 wrote:
ACeInTheHole wrote:
srock1028 wrote:
Poor word choice there, but you get the general question I was asking.
Understood, no it is not some test program.
 #1303603  by Fan Railer

TSRTOM wrote:Random observations/question -

Last weekend on the Morristown line spotted 2 of these units each with 8 bi-levels - one eastbound pushing and one westbound pulling at Convent. Both were running in deisel mode....why ? Also, the westbound was running 24 minutes late and obviously struggling for enough power to move it's consist anywhere near normal ( guessing reason it was so far behind schedule ).

So why were both in deisel mode under wire and if there presumedly was something wrong with the prime mover, why didn't the crew switch to electric mode ?

thanks
Were they doing CAT maintenance again? I believe they did CAT maintenance on a weekend in March of 2012, and all MidTown Express sets ran with ALP-45DPs + 8 Bilevels (or 8 Comets) in diesel mode with the mode switch @ SEC junction.