• AEM-7 status

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by aem7ac921

8th Notch wrote:Would make sense to me to cut up all of the DC units first...
That does make perfect sense. To my knowledge, a large portion of the DC fleet still survives. When I heard today about 920, it seemed extremely odd to me and made me question its validity.
  by ACeInTheHole

920 looks like its fought war, as per the usual.
  by aem7ac921

ACeInTheHole wrote:920 looks like its fought war, as per the usual.
Other battle worn ones were 901, 905, and 924. I have no idea why some units were considerably more beat up then others. my best guess is weather exposure and running millions of miles.
  by amtrakhogger

The 946 was on 20 today.
  by ApproachMedium

920 was one of the really good runners thats why it looks like hell. Same with the 924. Its not getting scrapped if it still has pantographs on it. Those have to go back to transtech before they can scrap it. All of the junked units had their pans removed before being sent for the scrap.

Also if they were going to scrap an AC motor, why not the 901? Amtrak owns that unit and its a mess.
  by 8th Notch

Funny because the 901 has a note next to it that reads " In Wilmington DE for possible preservation" on Wiki. I'm sure there isn't much left of it to preserve at this point.
  by ApproachMedium

8th Notch wrote:Funny because the 901 has a note next to it that reads " In Wilmington DE for possible preservation" on Wiki. I'm sure there isn't much left of it to preserve at this point.
Wikipedia is just going by what people read off these forums and facebook. 901 needs to hang out to donate more parts so that all the leased units can go back as 100% when they turn them in.
  by amtrakhogger

The 927 was on 90 tonight, 2/19.
  by amtrakhogger

8th Notch wrote:Funny because the 901 has a note next to it that reads " In Wilmington DE for possible preservation" on Wiki. I'm sure there isn't much left of it to preserve at this point.
Since the 915 is at RRMPA, who will take the 901? IRM? (Just a thought.)
  by 8th Notch

I would like to see one preserved in original paint!
  by aem7ac921

8th Notch wrote:I would like to see one preserved in original paint!
The RRMPA was interested in returing 915 to phase III in the future, but I wouldn't expect it to be too soon. They have a long list of items that needs to be restored. After they restore 4-4-2 460 (not quite sure if they are finished yet), they want restore GG1 4800 and E60 603. After that, they were thinking about restoring the Metroliner, but they weren't sure. They still have a lot of equipment in the yard that needs to be restored, and the 915 is probably the piece outside in the yard that is the best condition.
  by aem7ac921

Funny how you mention that! When Amtrak was selling AEM-7 parts in eBay, an emergency red strobe light from 951 caught my eye, so I decided to place a bid and I won. When it arrived, I examined it closely. The disposition tag on it said that it was from 951's F end. I then looked at pictures of the unit to see the strobe light when it was still on the engine and noticed that 951 carried a different style of the strobe light than I recieved. I then looked at pictures of every engine in the fleet, and the only one that matched was 901's F end light. Other AEM-7ACs carry the same style as the type I have, but the paint on it is different. On most ACs, the entire case for the light is painted blue. On mine, half is painted the standard silver with the bottom half being blue. My conclusion is that parts may have gotten a little mixed up when they were stripping them, and 901's strobe got switched with 951's. I personally am not upset, for I like 901 better than 951.

http://m.ebay.ie/itm/Amtrak-AEM-7-951-E ... 1514637105" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by aem7ac921

ApproachMedium wrote:920 was one of the really good runners thats why it looks like hell. Same with the 924. Its not getting scrapped if it still has pantographs on it. Those have to go back to transtech before they can scrap it. All of the junked units had their pans removed before being sent for the scrap.

Also if they were going to scrap an AC motor, why not the 901? Amtrak owns that unit and its a mess.
So in the photo in the link provided, we see 949, 932, 915, and 901 in March of 2015 stored out of service in Wilmington. 949 doesn't have its pans, so would that mean it was scrapped?

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4143266" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by ApproachMedium

aem7ac921 wrote:
Funny how you mention that! When Amtrak was selling AEM-7 parts in eBay, an emergency red strobe light from 951 caught my eye, so I decided to place a bid and I won. When it arrived, I examined it closely. The disposition tag on it said that it was from 951's F end. I then looked at pictures of the unit to see the strobe light when it was still on the engine and noticed that 951 carried a different style of the strobe light than I recieved. I then looked at pictures of every engine in the fleet, and the only one that matched was 901's F end light. Other AEM-7ACs carry the same style as the type I have, but the paint on it is different. On most ACs, the entire case for the light is painted blue. On mine, half is painted the standard silver with the bottom half being blue. My conclusion is that parts may have gotten a little mixed up when they were stripping them, and 901's strobe got switched with 951's. I personally am not upset, for I like 901 better than 951.

http://m.ebay.ie/itm/Amtrak-AEM-7-951-E ... 1514637105" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Parts often got switched from engine to engine while they were in service. There was a lot or rob peter to pay paul. Ive personally been the one to do it. Strobes were never matched AC motors to DC motors. Its whatever worked went.
  by ApproachMedium

aem7ac921 wrote:
8th Notch wrote:I would like to see one preserved in original paint!
The RRMPA was interested in returing 915 to phase III in the future, but I wouldn't expect it to be too soon. They have a long list of items that needs to be restored. After they restore 4-4-2 460 (not quite sure if they are finished yet), they want restore GG1 4800 and E60 603. After that, they were thinking about restoring the Metroliner, but they weren't sure. They still have a lot of equipment in the yard that needs to be restored, and the 915 is probably the piece outside in the yard that is the best condition.

915 had some of the best paint in the fleet, because it was out of service for so long before getting put back in service for the less than two years before it was decommissioned. There should be no rush to paint it anytime soon.