Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Saugatuck

I was on that train. Suffice it to say Metro-North is not having a good winter.
  by Tadman

Ah shoot nobody is. It's been a harsh one and we have two months left. barf...

The Chicago Trib just grilled Metra for their service during the -10 degree day. I think it's a crock - what are you going to do, use all the hot air from the reporters to melt the switches??? Sure, some mistakes were made and we should learn from them, but a railroad is living breathing thing subject to lots of outside influences. I feel for those guys out there on the road.
  by RearOfSignal

Winter started December 21st, not too much has happened except for the woman killed at Saga.
  by truck6018

Westporter wrote:http://www.westportnow.com/index.php?/v ... stranded_t. in/#mopolicR is playing defense. Needs to be more responsive, should have welcomed assistance form Westport FD and PD -- which are great resources. Yes, MNR is stressed by weather, but so is everyone else. Not good PR.
I'm not doubting that the local PD and FD are good resources but if they are not needed they would only be in the way expecially if they are not properly trained to be on the right of way. The MTA Police has their own emergency services to handle small scale incidents.

While I don't know the specifics of this incident, I've been on stranded trains and there isn't much anyone can do unless an evacuation is going to take place. Depending in the circumstances, an evacuation could put the passengers in greater danger than staying put.
Last edited by truck6018 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by RearOfSignal

Westporter wrote:http://www.westportnow.com/index.php?/v ... rain/#more

MNR is playing defense. Needs to be more responsive, should have welcomed assistance form Westport FD and PD -- which are great resources. Yes, MNR is stressed by weather, but so is everyone else. Not good PR.
More responsive how? What would you have done differently that would have incorporated Westport emergency personnel in that situation had you been in charge of MNR at that moment?
  by Backshophoss

With snow falling/wind blown at a rate that was more than the switch heater could handle,you had a downed wire in the area
to boot,MN did what they could, it does take time to get a loco there for the tow-in,and to make sure the downed wire is not
fouling another track as well.
  by Clean Cab

There is very little MN can do about the 100+ year old overhead wire breaking in sub freezing weather. I was involved in quite a few of such rescues and it can be a nightmare getting another train alongside a disabled train and transfer all the passengers to another train.
  by BenH

Saugatuck wrote:I was on that train. Suffice it to say Metro-North is not having a good winter.
Keep in mind that there is some good news this winter.

They have about 300 M-8 cars in service now. Without these new cars you can be sure that a lot of the New Haven fleet would be out of service due to the powdery snow and the cold.
  by Bill D

Clean Cab wrote:There is very little MN can do about the 100+ year old overhead wire breaking in sub freezing weather.
I was wondering if someone could bring me up to speed on the catenary? The New Haven Railroad was noted for the triangular catenary, which to my understanding was all replaced. Was the wire itself replaced or just modified?

Bill
  by DutchRailnut

Bill use search function we got several topics on Catenary renewal.
  by Clean Cab

Bill D wrote:
Clean Cab wrote:There is very little MN can do about the 100+ year old overhead wire breaking in sub freezing weather.
I was wondering if someone could bring me up to speed on the catenary? The New Haven Railroad was noted for the triangular catenary, which to my understanding was all replaced. Was the wire itself replaced or just modified?

Bill
It is being totally replaced with a more modern design. There are several threads on it.
  by hcobin

Do they still use the horizontal section of a seat as a bridge to allow passengers to cross from a disabled train to a rescue train?