Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Amtrak31

AMTK84 is my source. After train 2216, the equipment arrived at the Western Avenue Yard. The inspection found lead unit #100 shut down, with its turbo blown.

by AmtrakFan

Uh how bad is the damage. May I ask what day did this happen?

by Amtrak31

Amtrakfan wrote:May I ask what day did this happen?
Today.

by fjcaron

Blown Turbocharger isn't good, it'll take a while to fix depending on how soon it can be worked on, if the part is available and if there's folks that can do this sort of work. I'm sure Metra is very well equiped to fix such issues, and will probably have the unit back on the road in a month. Caltrain is a different animal where I work, mechanical robs from Peter to pay Paul or however the saying goes. One unit has a b/o flywheel, so they were just stealing parts off this unit to repair others because keeping used parts on inventory just doesn't make sense to the real world thinking class of folks. And being such as this is a political monster like Metra, getting allocations for mechanical is tough in a fiscal shortfall, though makes you wonder how we can add more service when we are short on the main budget.......don't ask ;-)

I know I went a bit off tangent here some, but it relates to the original posting just a bit, hehe.

Frank
AmtrakFan wrote:Uh how bad is the damage. May I ask what day did this happen?

by AmtrakFan

Mr. Caron,
Thanks for the info. It seems like on Amtrak in Chicago we never have blown turbo's.

by AMTK84

Unit METX100 was having turbo problems Thursday morning; it ran 2231 with more problems Thursday night, and when it was inspected Friday morning at Western Avenue after coming off of 2216 (Inspection after 10:00 AM) it was found to have a blown turbocharger; it likely happened while the unit was sitting at the yard, awaiting inspection. This might sound crazy, but they are thinking that they might not want to fix it; the thought is that if they do overhall it and put a brand new turbo in it'll have more problems then now. Remember how 608 also had the blown turbo? Its basicly the same sitchuation now.

by MetraF40C607

Hmm. Maybe that explains why it was running with 107 on the 29th.

by AMTK84

MetraF40C607 wrote:Hmm. Maybe that explains why it was running with 107 on the 29th.
Written abuv:

"Unit METX100 was having turbo problems Thursday morning; it ran 2231 with more problems Thursday night..."

by AMTK84

Units 100 and 107 were together account the fact that 100 was having turbo problems; and that 107 had just come out from its 3-year inspection; the word "inspection" is rather misleading, as they also replace some parts, for example all of the filters and the horn amung other things.

by Scotty Burkhardt

Any updates on 100?

by AMTK84

Still in the shops as of tonight.

by Metra 47 607

I hope they get it fixed it would be sad to see an F40PH go down this way. Especially that it is the first unit RTA brought.

by byte

Not that it makes a huge difference in the historical significance of the unit, but wouldn't it also be the first 3,200 horsepower F40PH as well? I recall reading that Amtrak's first units were all 3,000 HP and the RTA ordered theirs uprated another 200 HP (presumably, Amtrak's initial order was later uprated to match the power of the later units they purchased).

Speaking of Amtrak F40s, if they want a usable locomotive for less©, why don't they get a secondhand turbo from one of the many retired former Amtrak units? It'd be a helluva lot cheaper than getting one new, and would probably last until the engine's retired (it'll obviously be one of the first when the next order for new engines is delivered).

by F40CFan

Good idea about the turbo.

The way I understand it, the RTA ordered its F40PHs with 3,200 hp to match the F40Cs.

by AMTK84

While it might be a good idea in some respects, I highly doubt Metra would take that kind of risk...Besides that'd take time, and my guess is 100 is already in the process of being repaired now.