Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1206576  by truck6018

monica012077 wrote:As a Hudson line commuter I do hate how crowded the push pull diesel sets can get on those games days. It gets loud and raucous too. The trains are usually pretty full without the stadium crowd. I don't know what complaining about the crowded Hudson line trains have anything to do with the New Haven line. Take that up with CDOT, maybe they should put out extra M8 trains. Or you can take Amtrak to Stamford if your expecting the train to be that full & take a MN from there
It's not just the diesels that get like that. I worked two trains yesterday that were M7 electrics that were standing room only.

Train 776, local train departing Croton Harmon @ 5:28 was standing room only by Hastings. Train 789, the semi express from GCT to Harmon departing GCT @ 9:51 became instantly standing room only once we picked up the Yankee crowd.

You are not the only commuter displeased with the Yankee crowd's nonsense.
 #1207924  by monica012077

It's not just the diesels that get like that. I worked two trains yesterday that were M7 electrics that were standing room only.

2 M7's filled to the brim! Unheard of and I wouldn't want to be on them!

Train 776, local train departing Croton Harmon @ 5:28 was standing room only by Hastings. Train 789, the semi express from GCT to Harmon departing GCT @ 9:51 became instantly standing room only once we picked up the Yankee crowd.

I was under the impression that MNCR added more service and trains, I guess they added more stops to the trains they already have!

I'm sure of it, but can I still vent. I haven't ridden the New Haven line yet so I don't know how bad its over there :)

The thing with the Hudson line is that it provides great & fast service, usually not too crowded unless your riding an M3 express on the weekends. I also don't ride peak times too often since I hate that sardine in a can feeling you usually get on the Lexington Ave 4 &5 subway trains. So when it is really crowded its unnerving. Though one time I did ride a diesel push pull set on Gameday which was really empty, was looking out the back of Storm King cabcar 6101 and we passed a Harlem line Yankee Clipper on the Mott Haven wye. So not all gamedays are hectic
 #1207947  by truck6018

monica012077 wrote:

2 M7's filled to the brim! Unheard of and I wouldn't want to be on them!

I was under the impression that MNCR added more service and trains, I guess they added more stops to the trains they already have!

I'm sure of it, but can I still vent. I haven't ridden the New Haven line yet so I don't know how bad its over there :)

The thing with the Hudson line is that it provides great & fast service, usually not too crowded unless your riding an M3 express on the weekends. I also don't ride peak times too often since I hate that sardine in a can feeling you usually get on the Lexington Ave 4 &5 subway trains. So when it is really crowded its unnerving. Though one time I did ride a diesel push pull set on Gameday which was really empty, was looking out the back of Storm King cabcar 6101 and we passed a Harlem line Yankee Clipper on the Mott Haven wye. So not all gamedays are hectic
Game day trains on the Hudson generally get heavy depending on how the trains line up with the game times with one exception, the extra trains added for the games. The problem is not too many people know about them. I think most people will have a regular timetable that does not include the clippers. I've even worked some special game trains after the games that there relatively empty because of how they are used.

Example: weeknight game gets over between 9:30 and 9:45. The next two scheduled GCT to Poughkeepsie trains reach the stadium @ 10:01 and 11:01. Instead of putting the special game train ahead of the 10:01 to ease the crowds on that train as it already has 5 cars full of people from GCT, they will run it between the two scheduled trains to supplement service. What happens is the majority of the people will get on the 10:01 leaving nothing more than a few stranglers for the extra train.
 #1218617  by MBTA1016

Not to mention that some games vs the redsox have gone past 10pm. Jeff u are right in saying its a little late to start this thread. The regular season ended yesterday lol. As cruiser once said "Jeff Smith rules"
 #1218625  by lirr42

Mbta fan wrote:Not to mention that some games vs the redsox have gone past 10pm. Jeff u are right in saying its a little late to start this thread. The regular season ended yesterday lol. As cruiser once said "Jeff Smith rules"
He started it on April 22nd...
 #1218636  by MBTA1016

Oops I didn't see that. Ignore my previous post then
 #1394602  by Railhead

I was wondering how the Harlem line train originating at Southeast going to
Yankee Stadium, gets to Yankee Stadium
Does it go to 125th street and then reverse move up the Hudson line
or
does it make the turn at MO Tower to go up the Hudson line
Thanks
 #1394605  by DutchRailnut

it uses the wye at MO .
 #1394616  by GirlOnTheTrain

Wye, unless there's signal trouble...was on an outbound post-game New Haven line train once, and we went to 125 and then changed ends...was rather amusing to watch everyone have a fit despite announcements to the contrary..."OMG WE'RE GOING BACKWARDSSSSS" ;)
 #1394700  by BobLI

Any pictures available seeing the train go around the wye?
 #1396092  by Rockingham Racer

naugatroll wrote:Wye, unless there's signal trouble...was on an outbound post-game New Haven line train once, and we went to 125 and then changed ends...was rather amusing to watch everyone have a fit despite announcements to the contrary..."OMG WE'RE GOING BACKWARDSSSSS" ;)
Every time on Amtrak that the train has come to a stop, then backs up, it throws people into a dither for some reason.