• Wrecked MBTA Commuter Rail Equipment

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by ck4049

Does anyone know what happened to MBTA CTC-1B No. 1648? I know our mod has pics on his site. Anyone know what happened to it?
  by Diverging Route

NETransit says.... "Wrecked 1990, scrapped 2006 to provide parts for CRASP program: 1648."
  by sery2831

I have been told two different versions of the cars demise. One is that it was wrecked while en-route from Bombardier to the T and never used in service. The other it was involved in a collision with a tractor trailer at Tower Rd in Lincoln. But the Lincoln wreck could have #1301. I want to believe it never saw service, because the interior was in almost perfect condition.
  by ck4049

I heard some rumors saying it was wrecked from a derailment in the Southampton St. Yard. I heard it jumped the track and hit the matinence building. It didnt look too bad though. :wink:
  by MBTA3247

IIRC from what my friend at MBCR told me a few years ago, 1648 was sitting in the yard at Southampton St when the accident occurred early in its career. It was not in the clear, and one corner was crushed when another train attempted to enter the next track over.
  by sery2831

I believe the 1403 was wrecked at Southampton St Yard in 1987, there are pictures of it wrecked somewhere on the NERail photo archive.

That leaves to 1301 and 1648 to be explained if 1401 was the South Side incident. I believe 1301 was wrecked at Tower or Great Rd in Lincoln and that control car 1651 was ordered to replace that car. If the story is correct that the 1648 was wrecked on it's what to the MBTA, then the 1652 would be it's replacement.

SOMEONE has to have the answer...
  by ck4049

The 1648 was wrecked in 1990(only a few weeks in service), and scrapped in 2006. It has been a parts source for 16 years!
  by CRail

Someone has told me they have pictures of it running in service on the south side. I have not seen the pictures but it comes from a reliable source.
  by ck4049

Do you still have that source?
  by sery2831

Okay, well I forgot all about the Beverly Farms head on wreck, that claimed the 1301.

The 1403 got caught in a Back Bay wreck prior to the big one. http://ntl1.specialcollection.net/scrip ... -88-05.pdf

The 1648 was the sideswipe accident at Southampton St. Yard and it is rumored that is never entered service when this happened. Bombardier did not pay for the replacement of this control car.

I knew someone out there had answers :-)
  by ck4049

Did the 1301 fly right over a parked freight car?
  by MBTA1052

How exactly did 1710 get "wrecked" on the Franklin Line???
  by sery2831

No the 1301 hit head on to a B&M locomotive. http://ntl1.specialcollection.net/scrip ... 2-1fix.pdf

The 1710 hit a low boy trailer hung up on a crossing in Franklin it did not belong on. An excavator was on the trailer and swung off the trailer and hit the side of the car. There is a thread somewhere devoted to that incident on here.
  by ck4049

The tragic Beverly train wreck involving the 1301, leading train No. 570, happened on Auggust 11, 1981 at about 4:15 PM. The damage was estimated at a total cost of $1,683,200.