Railroad Forums 

• Why do LD trains not handle intra-NEC traffic?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1338469  by Arlington

ThirdRail7 wrote:Start keeping an eye on the schedules. A change or two will likely appear in the near future.
Will do!
 #1352748  by hi55us

ThirdRail7 wrote:In a few weeks, trains 181 and 198 will no longer operate. Trains 89 and 90 will operate in their place over the NEC, carrying local travel in a few extra cars that will cut and turn in WTC.
Wow, WTC? Did you mean to type WAS? You say WTC to me and the New Yorker in me thinks World Trade Center.

This always puzzled me why they don't merge more southbound NEC trains with LD Trains.
 #1352761  by Arlington

hi55us wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:In a few weeks, trains 181 and 198 will no longer operate. Trains 89 and 90 will operate in their place over the NEC, carrying local travel in a few extra cars that will cut and turn in WTC.
Wow, WTC? Did you mean to type WAS? You say WTC to me and the New Yorker in me thinks World Trade Center.
This always puzzled me why they don't merge more southbound NEC trains with LD Trains.
I read WTC as Washington Terminal Company = WAS Union Station's historical owner/operator

Is the idea that if you're cutting an electric locomotive on and off at WAS, it might as well come/go with a few Amfleets? Seems like a great insight.

The Palmettos (North and South) are a logical place to experiment since they are fairly "corridory" already. It'll be worth looking at to see how close this comes to tipping the train into an operating profit for the year.
Last edited by Arlington on Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1352766  by west point

If the reservation system was smart enough -- An example.
1. 2 months before departure date 10 persons booked Baltimore - MIA.
2. Sell 5 seats NYP - BAL
3. One week before sell 2 more seats NYP - BAL
4. Anticipated 3 cancellations BAL - MIA occur
5. Open sales for the 3 open slots NYP - Alexander & south
6 Maybe 4 hours before departure open up any spots for intra NEC sales.

For northbound Once train is say 2 hours from Washington.
11. Open up WASH north spots from south terminations.

Reasons not to do this ?
21. Steals passengers from NEC stats and revenue. Note: sometimes been done at Thanksgiving..
22. Spoils some passengers who get to use diner
 #1352770  by Arlington

west point wrote:Reasons not to do this ?
21. Steals passengers from NEC stats and revenue. Note: sometimes been done at Thanksgiving..
22. Spoils some passengers who get to use diner
21. Isn't something to worry about if you actually cancel the train being stolen from and steal its coaches.
22. Isn't a danger on the Palmetto (nor perhaps the Silver Star or the Cardinal)

"Giving" these trains the revenues from their nearest NER (and imposing only the coach costs) seems like a winner if it can be managed operationally (keeping the speed up and dwells short) {Edit: thanks for a cool numbering system on your points}
 #1354886  by dowlingm

In theory, would a similar operation with Vermonter or the Springfield Regionals work on the other side of Penn to NHV - either terminating there or having the electric/Amfleets continue east?
 #1354894  by ThirdRail7

dowlingm wrote:In theory, would a similar operation with Vermonter or the Springfield Regionals work on the other side of Penn to NHV - either terminating there or having the electric/Amfleets continue east?

It is possible in theory. Years ago, trains used to split and combine at NHV. They have the facilities to store, turn and service a few cars in NHV if they so decided to.
 #1355687  by scotty269

I used to work out of Alexandria, VA, and it's the last pickup point for LD trains going NB.

The Crescent was always a nice train to catch back North. Plenty of seats. Later at night. Good times!