• WHO'S GOING TO THE BIG SHOW IN SPRINGFIELD, JAN. 2005?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by omar

CRail wrote:
NellsChoo wrote:I've never been there, but want to go this year. You are all scareing me! What is so bad about the show? What do we need to know?

Jonelle
I dont think there really is that much of an issue. I think people are just being a little dramatic, although i cant confirm this as this year is my first year attending as well.
Actually, there is nothing wrong. Max crowds happen between 11-2PM. It just keeps you from doing a quick walk through.
Depending on your interest, you can be there easily for a day.
Don't forget, there are modeling clinics (for you modelers), bleachers to watch the operating layouts - and beer all over the place!

Yeah, the food & drink prices are high, so brown bag it if you are so inclined.

Also, watch out for the goons from the dEPARTMENT oF hOMELAND inSECURITY. This may be deemed a likely terrorist target.... so don't act suspicious, just drool like everyone else.

by NellsChoo

Homeland Security??? Why would Osama want to blow up a train show?? Something tells me I am not aware of just how large this thing is! I actually am not interested in buying much, as I never see anything mega-interesting AND within my budget (most things I like are VERY interesting, and BEYOND my budget!). But I enjoy looking at layouts. So far, though, I have been dissapointed by most of the ones I have seen. Granted this may be due to their "traveling" a lot, but many need a little extra "ooomph". I guess it depends on the show.

JD

PS: which hat, if any, should I wear: B&M or Vermont Railway? My boyfriend will be wearing Maine Central
  by omar

NellsChoo wrote:Homeland Security??? Why would Osama want to blow up a train show?? Something tells me I am not aware of just how large this thing is! I actually am not interested in buying much, as I never see anything mega-interesting AND within my budget (most things I like are VERY interesting, and BEYOND my budget!). But I enjoy looking at layouts. So far, though, I have been dissapointed by most of the ones I have seen. Granted this may be due to their "traveling" a lot, but many need a little extra "ooomph". I guess it depends on the show.

JD

PS: which hat, if any, should I wear: B&M or Vermont Railway? My boyfriend will be wearing Maine Central
It's not about Osama - its about the current Resident Shrub in the White House & his cadre of YASSA MASSA! men (& wimin if you count Codo-leesa). So much for that shot....

Probably about 80% of the good stuff is outside of anyone's budget - that's why I see the same B&A red cast fixed globe lantern there for the past "n" years among others. "It's not a hobby, it's a get rich on the greenhorns fantasty!" for some dealers - either that or they are much onto the red on their offerings & need to push the price somewhat over the envelope. I guess they didn't read the part that says cut your losses quickly & make money work for you instead of tying it up in inventory. Don't worry, the estate auction when they croak will enable you to get the same sh**t at 20% of what the former price was (not including 10-20% commission, of course).

As far as fashion - go for it!!! Time to give the place class! I'm tired of biker togs along with the 3-day old body odours they bring. I would recommend something from the NorthWest -or- Central California- such as the Montery Branch (a sardine or anchovy pate behind the ears would be a perfect olfactory accompanyment).

Myself, I prefer in-cog-nito.

But, do have fun & ask for Omar around. We'll do lunch.

by BrianS

I believe that this show is the 2nd largest in the country? I may be wrong. If I am, its at least in the top 10. I remember it being in the Cafeteria somewhere on campus at UMASS Amhesrt when it was about 1/1000th of what is is today. That was af course the late 1970's or at least the early eighties ( im only 32)

Yes, you can find some great deals there. I tend to spend some money there... Just depends what you are looking for.

See you all there.

Brian (hearing the N/B NECR throught Belchertown as I write this)

by NellsChoo

Please don't get political... ehem...

But I agree with the body odor subject. I have been to various forms of shows (stamp, ephemera, toy, antique, train, etc) and for some reason, you always get at LEAST one person with a "problem" that enters your nose's range!

Whatever the case, I sure hope I get to go, probably on Sunday, and at least watch the layouts. I think my boyfriend's brother will be there for the Wiscassett, Waterville & Farmington RR. One of the weekly Ayer group will be there for the B&M historical society. So those types of booths may be interesting.

Well, to me anyhoo...

Jonelle

PS: is this anywhere near the Springfield yards? :-D

by dcm74

The West Springfield yard is directly across Memorial Ave. from the Big E grounds. You should pass right by it as you drive in.

by NellsChoo

Hmmmmmm... interesting!

ALSO, my boyfriend wants to know what parking is like
  by eddiebear

Parking is extensive; however the farther away from the buildings you are, you might have to park on a gravel-pea stone unpaved surface which can be a bit sloppy if the ground is not frozen. Squishy at this time of year. Wear footwear that can be cleaned easily. You also have to pay to park, $5.00 each day.
Hint: Pay admission at the smaller buildings and by the time you've covered that ground, access to and through the big building will be a lot easier.

Stop by Boston Chapter NRHS table in the big building.

by Otto Vondrak

You have to say hello if you see me at the show, Omar. Just ask HP to point me out. I'll probably be wearing an orange RIT shirt (as will the rest of my crew).

My first Springfield Show was 2002. I think it's one of the better shows around. First of all- it's three buildings of railroad stuff in one spot. Second of all, it's mostly Northeastern related stuff. Third, there are model railroad items as well as real railroad items to be bought. If you are looking for it, it's here. If you wern't looking for it, it's here, becuase you might need it anyway. You can really do some comparison shopping and compare prices and vendors. There are also many model railroads and dioramas to check out. Fourth, for me, it's a reunion of sorts. There are certain people I get to visit with once a year- either at the show, over dinner, at my friend's slide show, or railfanning Guilford the next day.

What to expect- show up at 9:30 and you endure long lines for tickets. Show up at 10:30-ish, and you'll walk right in (but you'll be parking in Outer Mongolia). You pay separately for parking, and then you pay again for the show ticket. Do not balk at the price of the show ticket- this is a huge show and the Amherst Society donates the majority of the money to railroad museums.

Wear comfortable shoes. Take breaks often. My first year, my legs were sore from standing all day! Pace yourself. The first year, I attended both days. Ever since, I've attended the show for the first day, and railfanned the second day. Pace yourself and you'll see it all.

-otto-

by CSX Conductor

Otto Vondrak wrote:You have to say hello if you see me at the show, Omar. Just ask HP to point me out. I'll probably be wearing an orange RIT shirt (as will the rest of my crew).

-otto-

Or just recognize ya from your avatar pic, lol. :P

What's the RIT for? Will you be at a specific booth?
  by BrianS

As Otto said.. dont be afraid to comparison shop. Usuallly there is more than one vendor with the same thing and usually you can see there is a good spread. Ive seen the same Atlas engine for 45$ one place and 85$ another.

Brian

by johnnynick

Ill be there as always. Probably on Sat. Definately the best show around northeast.

by CSX Conductor

johnnynick wrote:Ill be there as always. Probably on Sat. Definately the best show around northeast.
Welcom to RailRoad.net, John. Going Saturday so your brother can attend on his day off, eh? Haha, just kidding. Again, welcome to the RR.net group :-)

by citystation1848

I'll be floating around Saturday. Not sure which table I'll be at... Seashore Trolley Museum most likely. Other possibilities are Connecticut Trolley Museum or the Train Staition Inn if it's there.

It'll be so nice not having to drive two hours to get to West Springfield this year... it'll be right across the river! Big change from coming from New Hampsha'.

Matt

by johnnynick

Welcom to RailRoad.net, John. Going Saturday so your brother can attend on his day off, eh? Haha, just kidding. Again, welcome to the RR.net group
Don't have to worry about MT, I'm sure he'll find a way to get a day off (he's good at that) no matter what day we go. :-D anyhow thanks for the welcome