• Who Gets The Best Gloves?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by UPRR engineer

Any railroad not give out good leather gloves? We had some cheezy pig skin lookin ones with reflectors on the knuckles there for a while, but the good ol' leather ones have been back for some time now. Any railroad hand out crappy cotton ones? Anyone want to trade a few (leather for leather) if there stamped with your RR logo on them? "where ya get those CSX gloves?"... "out of the safety machine" That will have them talking in the switch shack. "Were merging.. didnt ya hear that one?"

Heres a pic that looks something like the ones we use to get there for awhile:

by Robert Paniagua

Those gloves look cool, and they reflect at night. They should have those for every railroad and subway system, especially for safety. Some a ctually do have railroad company names, even the NYC Subway, some of their gloves say "NYCTA"
  by thebigc

UPRR engineer wrote:Any railroad not give out good leather gloves? We had some cheezy pig skin lookin ones with reflectors on the knuckles there for a while, but the good ol' leather ones have been back for some time now. Any railroad hand out crappy cotton ones? Anyone want to trade a few (leather for leather) if there stamped with your RR logo on them? "where ya get those CSX gloves?"... "out of the safety machine" That will have them talking in the switch shack. "Were merging.. didnt ya hear that one?"

Heres a pic that looks something like the ones we use to get there for awhile:
Did those pigskin deals say Kinco on them? They're the ones we get in the winter. They're warm but they have one drawback: pigskin is porous and allows dirt and grease to leach through the leather and onto your hands. Hence the name "dirty hands gloves". We get Mustangs in the summer. No NJT logos though.

by Guest

Here is a pic of the gloves we get on the NS:

-r

by Chris_S68

They actually give you gloves nowadays?
Far out.

by UPRR engineer

The pro to those gloves Robert were the reflective stripes, and the negative was how dirty they become after a short time like C-man said. They did say Kinco, on the thumb i think, right?

They give out good gloves on NS there razor? or was it a joke? just got off work, kinda slow here. There are no free gloves on NS are there.... lol

by Guest

UPRR engineer wrote:They give out good gloves on NS there razor? or was it a joke? just got off work, kinda slow here. There are no free gloves on NS are there.... lol
Yeah, what you see in the pic I posted is what the NS gives out...nothing.

-r :wink:

by jg greenwood

razor wrote:
UPRR engineer wrote:They give out good gloves on NS there razor? or was it a joke? just got off work, kinda slow here. There are no free gloves on NS are there.... lol
Yeah, what you see in the pic I posted is what the NS gives out...nothing.

-r :wink:
Not quite true there razor; they're more than glad to supply you with an unpaid vacation. :wink:

by UPRR engineer

What kinda gloves do you get there jg? trade ya some buddy, or give ya a pair.

by jg greenwood

UPRR engineer wrote:What kinda gloves do you get there jg? trade ya some buddy, or give ya a pair.
We're talking the Illinois Central here, the cheapest version available! I appreciate your offer, have several pair (UP) left over from my brief employment with the Alton & Southern.

by CSX Conductor

CSXT doesn't give them out either. A Trainmaster actually responded with this when I asked if he had any new gloves: "Are you kidding? All the money you make, you can't afford to buy a new pair of gloves every now & then?"

They don't wanna give us boots either anymore.

by Lew

They passed out some decent gloves on the NS Lake Division this year, I was thinking of framing mine.

by AmtrakFan

Thanks for sharing everyone. What kind of gloves of Amtrak give.

by GOLDEN-ARM

For my money, UP gets the nod, on this one. The pigskin gloves we got out of the vending machines were far superior, than any others I have seen, anywhere else. Maybe the trainmen prefer those bulky, awkward welding type gloves, so many places seem to hand out, but those perfect fit, easy to wear, and super feeling of dexterity that comes with those multi-sized options handed out by Uncle Pete were the best. I still have about a half dozen pairs, still in the wrapper, awaiting use as my current ones slowly become unserviceable. In the winter time, the bulkier ones might have been better, but for pullin' on the throttle, and getting on and off, those pigskins are the tops. Regards :wink:

by NSPeon

I have gotten one pair of gloves from NS since I hired on.......They were a safety prize. Wow....lucky me........