• Who Gets The Best Gloves?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by ENR3870

CN doesn't give out gloves, we have to buy them out of a vending machine, pretty cheap canvas ones too.
  by CSX-COAL HAULER

I found out the reason we don't get gloves around our terminal---------------------------------------------------GET THIS-----------------the Road Master was ordering all the gloves for Etowah, Tenn and NOT GIVING THEM OUT---He had a booth at the local fleamarket and was selling them by the dozens for 50 cents a pair------------------sold them by the truckload along with new spikes and a few frogs--This is the same guy who leased about 3 acres of CSX property along some tracks to a used car lot. It took a couple of years to catch up with him--------he was charging $800.00 a month for the lot rent-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------WOW

by jg greenwood

ENR3870 wrote:CN doesn't give out gloves, we have to buy them out of a vending machine, pretty cheap canvas ones too.
What they do issue, in abundance, is a never ending ration of bull-$hit! :wink:

by slchub

So it seems the UP is the only RR that provides safety eqpt. to the employees. What about ear plugs, eye wear, batteries for your flashlight/lantern? The UP allows us to get these items out of a vending machine without charge, but you are only allotted a certain amount each year, then they cut you off. Probably too many guys grabbing and selling or using for hunting, etc. I guess I won't complain about cheap ass gloves anymore!

by jg greenwood

slchub wrote:So it seems the UP is the only RR that provides safety eqpt. to the employees. What about ear plugs, eye wear, batteries for your flashlight/lantern? The UP allows us to get these items out of a vending machine without charge, but you are only allotted a certain amount each year, then they cut you off. Probably too many guys grabbing and selling or using for hunting, etc. I guess I won't complain about cheap ass gloves anymore!
When I last worked for the BNSF (2000) they also provided PPE items and batteries via a vending machine. The CN depends to a degree upon where you work. A large terminal, no problem. Jack-Ass Flats, good luck finding anything!

by GN 599

BNSF gives us all kinds of gloves. I work with old head's who still wear leather mits, which BNSF also provides.

by ENR3870

CN does give us a lamp, safety vest, and earplugs. But safety glasses, lamp batteries and gloves are in the vending machines.

by CCCPR

CP gives us everything except the boots. About 5 types gloves to choose from.

by jg greenwood

ENR3870 wrote:CN does give us a lamp, safety vest, and earplugs. But safety glasses, lamp batteries and gloves are in the vending machines.
Must be a "north of the border" thing. I've seen no signs of vending machines @ Champaign, Decatur, Paducah, Centralia, DuQuoin, East Saint Louis, Fulton, Bluford and all points in between.

by SnoozerZ49

I wrk for a Rail America rr. I have to say the gloves we have are good quality, They don't last a long time but given the wear and tear we put them through just being able to get replacement gloves is a great bonus. In winter they issue some good insulated ones. Having a TM that was a conductor helps when you need another pair, at least he knows we really need them. I once worked for a place that would only issue new gloves after you turned in your worn out ones. Needless to say if they weren't worn out you didn't get new ones. I'm glad those days are over. :wink:

by BigMike

CSX Conductor wrote:CSXT doesn't give them out either. A Trainmaster actually responded with this when I asked if he had any new gloves: "Are you kidding? All the money you make, you can't afford to buy a new pair of gloves every now & then?"

They don't wanna give us boots either anymore.
We dont have a problem getting boots.......

by GOLDEN-ARM

BNSF here, gives out the very nice goatskin gloves, similar to the ones from UP, excepting the logo is not there. They also give out those thick, welder style gloves, worn by those who don't know any better, I guess......... :P