Railroad Forums 

• When does NJT act quickly?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#29616  by JoeG

For years we've seen NJT take forever to build projects. My favorite is the passing sidings on the PVL, which they already own the ROW for. They have stalled and stalled, until now, when the project is scheduled for completion 7 years late, some Bergen County towns are suing over the mistaken impression that the PVL is the West Shore, with frequent 100+ car freights to be expected. (How did NJT act, that made that happen?)
On the other hand, NJT decided to build a large park-ride garage in Ramsey, near the Mahwah border. Neither Mahwah nor Ramsey wanted it (each wanted it to be in the other town)-- NIMBY complaints, etc. Despite all this, NJT went ahead with the project. It explained to residents what it was planning but did not allow itself to be stalled for years of DEIS, etc, etc. When they started the construction job it seems to proceed rapidly, almost as fast as a private developer would have done it. It will open in the next month or two.
So, what's the secret? How does a project get to be treated like the Ramsey Garage, instead of the Pascack Valley Line Sidings?

#29630  by Irish Chieftain

NJT is a political animal. If they can act to please politicians and the politicians' friends, they will do it—because the agency's existence is dependent upon the politicians. Therefore, to get NJT to act, one must behave in a political manner, which entails lobbying techniques, and aggressive ones at that.

#29640  by JoeG

I agree that politics are very important in NJT's decisions, but I don't see what political force caused them to act with unusual speed in building the Ramsey Park-Ride. From what I could see, there was some vocal opposition to the garage, but I didn't see any particular support. It looked like only NJT wanted it. Maybe Suffern wanted it to take pressure off their own parking spaces, but Suffern is in NY. Maybe NJT shows its true roots by demonstrating that the thing it can do best and fastest is--build a GARAGE.
 #30464  by Don31

Q: When Does NJ Transit Act Quickly?

A: When they want to harrass railfans and photographers.

Just an observation......

:)

#30487  by Mark Schweber

McGreevey made a point of wanting and trumpeting increases in commuter parking. This project helps him claim that he accomplished his goal. Having a powerful champion helps a project along.