Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by marquisofmississauga

From my experience the Ren. sleepers are in better shape than most of the Chateau sleepers. Most of the Chateau sleepers have not had a major refurbishment since the early 1990s and they really need it. The last one my wife and I travelled in was a disgrace. Last week we had rooms in a Ren. sleeper and it was in excellent shape, the shower worked and the door to the corridor stayed shut.

The second weekly train started from both Montreal and Halifax on Wed. the 8th. I haven't seen the specific consist, but from what is availlable on Reservia it should be the same or very similar as the other consist.
  by Jeff Smith

Trip Review: The Boston Globe
Two nights, three provinces, and 1,600 miles. A sleeper train through Maritime Canada is slow travel at its best.

Via Rail’s sleepy eastern route brings travelers through rural villages and towns in Quebec, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia.
I was traveling Via Rail Canada’s Ocean route from Montreal to Halifax. The train wasn’t as glamorous as the Rocky Mountaineer, nor was the scenery as grand as the Winnipeg to Churchill trip. But Via Rail’s 22-hour route is a lovely travel throwback with gorgeous scenery. Thanks to the strength of the US dollar against the Canadian dollar, I was able to score a sleeper car with a private bathroom (complete with a shower) for $400 a night. It also helped that I was traveling during mud season. Rates go up during the summer and into foliage season.

The fare included all meals, which were served in the dining car on actual plates with actual flatware. I reasoned that I was getting a room, all meals, and the constant entertainment of the ever-changing landscape for $400 a night. That seemed like a decent deal. I decided to book my return to Montreal on the train as well. That would give me a solid 44 hours on board.
  by Tadman

"The train wasn’t as glamorous as the Rocky Mountaineer, nor was the scenery as grand as the Winnipeg to Churchill trip."

There's grand scenery on the Churchill train?