• Delivery and revenue service status of Silverliner V cars

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by R3 Passenger

716 and 720 were heading to Trenton on Train 705. 716 had the Dietz and Watson wrap.

9720 was a 3 car set of Vs this morning. It was an absolute crush load. It reminded me of the El at rush hour. This train used to be a 4 car set of IVs filled to capacity. 3 Vs is simply not enough.
  by jfrey40535

A 6 car set of V's loses about 140 seats compared to the older models. How is the decrease in capacity going to be addressed?
  by Matthew Mitchell

Lengthen consists where necessary. That's one of the reasons the number of new cars on order is greater than the number of old cars being retired.

Furthermore, not all the seats on a IV are useable by normal-sized people, so the practical capacity of the car is less than the nominal capacity.
  by jfrey40535

So the net result is more equipment needed to service the existing ridership. That leaves no room for growth. How will longer consists work with existing platform constraints? Are the new cars conducive to riders walking between cars in cases where some cars do not meet the platform?
  by Clearfield

jfrey40535 wrote:So the net result is more equipment needed to service the existing ridership. That leaves no room for growth. How will longer consists work with existing platform constraints? Are the new cars conducive to riders walking between cars in cases where some cars do not meet the platform?
Great questions for the next CAC RRD meeting Jon.
  by khecht

jfrey40535 wrote:So the net result is more equipment needed to service the existing ridership. That leaves no room for growth. How will longer consists work with existing platform constraints? Are the new cars conducive to riders walking between cars in cases where some cars do not meet the platform?
I've only ridden the V's on the Wilmington line so far, but there are a number of stations where outbound rush hour consists can't fully platform, notably Glenolden, Highland Avenue, Marcus Hook and Claymont. There doesn't seem to be a lot of trouble with moving between cars as plenty have to do it. The doors seem to actually stay open and don't appear to be as heavy as the doors on the Bombardier coaches. Whether the crews are communicating to riders the need to move between cars is a very different question. There certainly isn't a provision in the automated announcements to do so though it would be nice if they would (e.g., "Only the first five cars on this train will platform at this station. This is the sixth car, please make your way forward one car.").
  by Silverliner II

jfrey40535 wrote:A 6 car set of V's loses about 140 seats compared to the older models. How is the decrease in capacity going to be addressed?
140 seats? Average seating capacity on the older Silverliners is 120**, vs average capacity of 105** on the Silverliner V's. So assuming all seats are filled, a six-car conventional Silverliner set would seat 720 while a six-car Silverliner V set would seat 630. A mere loss of 90, as opposed to 140. But it still warrants a 7-car Silverliner V train to equal seating capacity of a 6-car train of older Silverliners.

**numbers rounded for simplicity
  by Head-end View

Long Island RR had the same problem of having to increase fleet size and lengthen trains when they got the M-7's which seat substantially fewer people than the previous M-1's did. Fortunately they had raised and lengthened most station platforms years before when they got the M-1's so they have less of a problem with that than SEPTA.
  by Silverliner II

3rdavenueEL wrote:I plan to travel to Philadelphia (from Colmar) and I was hoping to ride on the new rolling stock. Are chances very good?
From the Silverliner V operating schedule on SEPTA's website, here are the trips that the Silverliner V's should be on this week for the Lansdale-Doylestown line. Of course, equipment can be substituted without notice. I put the trips that would serve Colmar in bold.

Lansdale/Doylestown Line (January 23-27)
Train #7534 | 7:04 A.M. departure from Trenton, NJ to Doylestown
Train #519 | 8:38 A.M. departure from Link Belt to Malvern (Monday & Wednesday only)
Train #525 | 9:55 A.M. departure from Doylestown to Thorndale
Train #556 | 12:00 P.M. departure from Malvern to Link Belt (Monday & Wednesday only)
Train #562 | 1:10 P.M. departure from Thorndale to Doylestown
Train #545 | 2:38 P.M. departure from Link Belt to Malvern (Monday & Wednesday only)
Train #5253 | 3:55 P.M. departure from Doylestown to Marcus Hook
Train #582 | 5:29 P.M. departure from Malvern to Lansdale (Monday & Wednesday only)
Train #583 | 7:52 P.M. departure from Lansdale to Malvern (Monday & Wednesday only)

Of course, all trips operate via Center City.
  by Matthew Mitchell

3rdavenueEL wrote:I plan to travel to Philadelphia (from Colmar) and I was hoping to ride on the new rolling stock. Are chances very good?
If you're going in the morning, take 6595 departing Colmar at 7:21. You'll need to change at Lansdale or Fort Washington, but if you transfer to 515 and get off it at Glenside, you'll be able to get 4815, which leaves right after 515 and has been running with the Vs the past several weeks. That way, you'll not only get to ride a V consist, you'll also be able to get on first and get the railfan seat (or the observation car if you prefer).
  by 3rdavenueEL

I sincerely thank you for the information, but I will freely admit that I am too lazy for such a task. I guess all the mew units won't be out on the rails for quite a while then. That's too bad. I understand why they are being built in the old Budd plant. That was quite a good idea. The rest is now history. I wonder if that plant will build anything else once these trains arrive late for the last time.