• Delivery and revenue service status of Silverliner V cars

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by zebrasepta

Silverliner II wrote:
jfrey40535 wrote:A 6 car set of V's loses about 140 seats compared to the older models. How is the decrease in capacity going to be addressed?
140 seats? Average seating capacity on the older Silverliners is 120**, vs average capacity of 105** on the Silverliner V's. So assuming all seats are filled, a six-car conventional Silverliner set would seat 720 while a six-car Silverliner V set would seat 630. A mere loss of 90, as opposed to 140. But it still warrants a 7-car Silverliner V train to equal seating capacity of a 6-car train of older Silverliners.

**numbers rounded for simplicity
Don't forget that people rarely use the middle seats in Silverliners II and III from what I've experienced
  by Silverliner II

zebrasepta wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:
jfrey40535 wrote:A 6 car set of V's loses about 140 seats compared to the older models. How is the decrease in capacity going to be addressed?
140 seats? Average seating capacity on the older Silverliners is 120**, vs average capacity of 105** on the Silverliner V's. So assuming all seats are filled, a six-car conventional Silverliner set would seat 720 while a six-car Silverliner V set would seat 630. A mere loss of 90, as opposed to 140. But it still warrants a 7-car Silverliner V train to equal seating capacity of a 6-car train of older Silverliners.

**numbers rounded for simplicity
Don't forget that people rarely use the middle seats in Silverliners II and III from what I've experienced
Empty out all the middle seats and (again rounded for simplicity)... you lose about 20 seats, so now you seat 100 on the older Silverliners. Do the same on the end sections on the Silverliner V's and you drop to perhaps 95 seats.
So with the new numbers:
6-car train of older Silverliners = 600
6-car train of Silverliner V's = 570
and you only have a loss of 30 seats...
  by Matthew Mitchell

Saw a set of Vs headed south through Glenside stopping there at 10:15. Presumably that was in revenue service on train 523.
  by jslader

There is a billboard visible from I-95 south (although the billboard is on the northbound lanes' side, but facing the wrong way) approaching the southbound exit ramp for Cottman Ave announcing "The New 2012 Silverliner V. Come test drive one today!" Haven't been able to snap a picture.
  by Matthew Mitchell

eafp668 wrote:This article mentions the “'over 100 design updates and improvements' caused by changes in the railcar production process"
Could anyone list off some of the most important of those updates and improvements?
Well, I think that's 100 individual items on the punchlist for each car. One repair/change, such as the HVAC modifications, is likely to result in multiple items. The main areas I am aware of are the aforementioned HVAC and several issues with the data communications system. I presume there were also some brake and programming changes from early in the testing and acceptance process. Finally, there've been consistent mentions of "non-conforming materials" in the monthly reports, which I presume mean parts that did not meet the contract specifications and had to be replaced.
  by TransitChuckG675

From "Phila Transit Vehicle" forms. This is only what I copied and pasted , no verification, yet.
As of February 1st, 2012, we have 72 Silverliner V's on SEPTA property:

Single cars 701, 703-725 (24 cars)
Married pairs 801-848 (48 cars)

59 cars are available for service, with the remaining 13 either being setup, or used for training and/or testing. Other earlier cars may be out for retrofits that the newer cars received along the way at any given time.
  by BuddCar711

Levittowner wrote:#849/850 were at Woodbourne today at 4:30PM.
I think that's what my parents saw on Delaware Avenue on Saturday going to the Home Depot. BTW, the graphic needs to be updated (some of the cars will go from gray to green without seeing yellow).
  by Matthew Mitchell

BuddCar711 wrote:
I think that's what my parents saw on Delaware Avenue on Saturday going to the Home Depot.
Man, you could haul a lot of lumber in those.
  by TransitChuckG675

Sounds like Hyundai-Rotem is getting better with deliveries? Let's hope so.We'll celebrate when the last car rolls off the assembly line.