Yankee Stadium Service

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

checkthedoorlight

Re: Yankee Stadium Service

Post by checkthedoorlight » Sun May 16, 2010 11:51 pm

I was in New Haven Friday afternoon, and I can tell you that people were lining up for the 4:12PM Yankee clipper. I can imagine it was probably pretty packed by the time it got down to Stamford.

Funny how this service is doing well, yet NOBODY rode the football trains....

7express

Post by 7express » Mon May 17, 2010 12:15 am

So, their now running direct on the weekdays too??

I thought it was just the weekend due to capacity/equipment issues.

Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station » Mon May 17, 2010 5:31 am

checkthedoorlight wrote:Funny how this service is doing well, yet NOBODY rode the football trains....
If you believe the know-nothings who've told you that NOBODY rode the football trains, then I have a bridge to sell you...

Train322

Post by Train322 » Sun May 23, 2010 6:23 pm

Does anyone know why on May 20, the New Haven line train to the stadium got just past Rye on the express track, stopped and they announce trackwork ahead. They reversed at a relatively slow speed, almost back to CT line (east of Port Chester).

Than they proceeded on the same track.

Around 5:30pm.

thanks

nyrmetros

Post by nyrmetros » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:39 am

If the new MallPark in the Bronx holds 50, 000 , what's the average number of riders who have purchased Yankee Stadium MNR tickets for that game?

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Smith » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:28 pm

Looks like it's a hit this year!

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/bron ... lWyBax58GP
Ridership at Metro-North Railroad's new stop at Yankee Stadium has skyrocketed 54 percent since the station opened a year ago -- no doubt getting a boost from its namesake team winning the World Series.

There were nearly 100,000 riders in June 2010 compared to about 65,000 in June 2009, the first full month the station was open, officials said.

And the seats aren't being filled only on game days.

About 150 daily commuters use the station to get into Manhattan or to suburban stops on the Hudson line, a 100-percent increase from June 2009.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/bron ... z0vON2elWj
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator/Co-Owner

Wayside Observer

Post by Wayside Observer » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:22 pm

I'm glad to hear that more people are using the Yankees game service. I've ridden it 3 times to Yankees games and I've found the service to be a great change from having to take a train 125 st, walk a block and then try to squeeze into subway cars. Aside from a slightly longer walk from the MN station as versus the subway station it is ideal for attending games.

7express

Post by 7express » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:52 am

They have a nice Yankee clipper on the New Haven line for tonight (8/8/10). 7581 to Yankee stadium. New Haven > Bridgeport > Yankees-E 153rd street. Any chance at all it could be a genisis consist, or is all Yankee stadium service MU's??

Wayside Observer

Post by Wayside Observer » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:14 am

Since the New Haven Line as well as the Harlem and Hudson Lines are electrified, why bother runnging a Genesis powered train? If you want to ride one, then board the train at Harmon or Poughkeepsie.

Steamboat Willie

Post by Steamboat Willie » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:18 am

Because the bomb trains can seat more people. For a train that is only making 3 stops, using a bomb train would be an option.

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:31 am

Steamboat Willie wrote:Because the bomb trains can seat more people. For a train that is only making 3 stops, using a bomb train would be an option.
Bomb trains do not seat more people, only if consisting of end door cars only.
Bomb trains are restricted to 7 cars max and if centerdoor hold only about 100 people per car.
meanwhile M-2/4/6 series trains can be run with a max of 12 cars and a average of 116 per car unless there is a bar car in consist.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

7express

Post by 7express » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:45 am

Steamboat Willie wrote:Because the bomb trains can seat more people. For a train that is only making 3 stops, using a bomb train would be an option.

I thought the ones with center doors sat less people then the MU's, but the ones with only rear end doors sat more??

I know every once in a while the New Haven > Bridgeport > 125th > Grand Central shoppers specials will be a bomb run. Doesn't happen often, but the first time I took one of those run, it was a maxibomb. Thats why I was asking. If they had a bomb trrain in New Haven that had to go to Highbridge for whatever reason, would probably be a good train to run it down there. I'm more then likely going to take it tonight, so I'll let you know what it was when I get back.

The Interloafer

Post by The Interloafer » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:21 pm

Nice!

Yankee Stadium train is a grand slam for fans
The Times Herald-Record wrote:One train ride to Yankee Stadium was all it took to turn Pete Dross into a believer.

"I love the train," Dross said. "I can sit back and relax —really enjoy myself — which I certainly can't do when I drive."

What makes the Village of Florida man's conversion noteworthy is that until last year, Dross, a 66-year-old career ShopRite employee, had never been on a train. . . .

In June, the first month when a year-over-year comparison was possible, about 44,500 fans took the train to the game — a whopping 45 percent increase. . . .

And, yes, there were two more games this June than last, but Metro-North is still registering significantly higher average ridership for the season to date — 3,219 for weekday games and 3,819 for weekend ones. Not bad for a year-old service to a 51,800-seat stadium, where attendance is usually in the mid-40,000s. . . .
Congrats to all involved in the construction, maintenance and operation of this station and the service to it. Converting new people to Metro-North is reason enough to be proud.
"Might as well travel the elegant way."

Tommy Meehan

Post by Tommy Meehan » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:22 pm

I must say, riding northbound Hudson Line locals with a lot of Yankee fans on board, I really do hear a lot of positive comments.

Couple weeks ago three guys headed from GCT to the game sitting across from me. As the train departed GCT the guy who had apparently talked the others into riding Metro-North said, "Now isn't this a lot better?" One of his friends laughed and replied, "No comparision."

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Smith » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:56 am

Yeah, Tommy, but they missed that great smell of puke from the 4 at 125th St.; or was that incense?
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator/Co-Owner

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”