Railroad Forums 

• MBTA Subway/Commuter Rail Models

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#770602  by jdotemi10

can u give me some tips 4 puttin 2gether a "MBTA FUNCTIONAL TOY MODEL TRAIN SET"......is there any other website or places in tha boston city area that can help me?

i need the redline,blueline,orangeline,greenline and commuter rail...what r the best tracks to get??.....i got so many question HELP ME!!!! :-)
 #770662  by 3rdrail

There's this company that makes Boston rapid transit equipment up in HO, but I understand that there's still some construction involved (possibly the motor ?) and of course, painting. http://islandmodelworks.com/Boston.html#bilevels
If you are new to the world of model trains, may I suggest getting something out of the box to run, such as an MTH Boston PCC. Construct a scene that you're familiar with on your own out of the many products that are available for this sort of thing. You can find this stuff at train shows or on the net. Start slow, build up your expertise, don't start off with an expensive brass kit before you know what you are doing, and before you know it, you'll be a master model maker ! Good luck ! :-D
 #770700  by diburning

I've seen (and held) their models. They do not come with motors, you need to buy a bowser mechanism yourself.

Their models look decent, they are cast in a material that feels like plaster but is really heavy for it's size.

The shells are cast really thick though, and the window frames show it. It looks like the windows are cast thin in the material, then knocked out by hand to create the openings as their "rejects" have a thick layer of material in them that they didn't want to knock out in fear of destroying the model.

The models are unpainted, and the details are all cast on so if you want really nice detail, you'll have to file off all of the detail parts and install metal ones, drill holes for the cast on headlights, ditchlights, etc.
 #770790  by jdotemi10

thanks that was mos.def. helpful....is there any widesite to c a good picture of the stations?...i'll keep ya'll informed?.....
 #770835  by 3rdrail

Join or contact the Boston Street Railway Association. Here's their website: http://www.transithistory.org/bsra/
You'll get a list of publications for sale and you'll recieve a complimentary BSRA publication every time that one is published, as a member.
 #776731  by Type7trolley

I have never seen any O scale models of newer-than-PCC Green line trains. :(
In fact the only post PCC Green Line models I have ever seen (that were not homemade) are the HO LRVs that were sold decades ago.

EDIT: I am not sure if it is homemade or not, but either way this O scale LRV is amazing, very detailed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THajWsdkQaA I had not seen this before my post.
 #778351  by ck4049

sery2831 wrote:There is a company named Island Modelworks that is interested in making some Boston subway car models. If they get enough buyers these models will become a reality. If you are serious about wanting to purchase them please email them and let them know!

Here is the web page about the possible cars: http://islandmodelworks.com/Boston.html
I reccomended to them to try and get the MBB cars and the F40s. If they get enough interest, they will make them! :-D
 #780891  by jdotemi10

the guys at this site never call me or write back is this site offical....do they have O scale train because they look alil small.
Where can i find boeing(greenline) trains in O scale, new york got all their trains why can we have ours....but i drifted off i really need these trains in O scale, hey i tried to go thru "scmodelworks"....but they dont do subway trains?.....is there a number to that site islandmodelworks?
 #783042  by 3rdrail

I think that up until now (or a little later) anything beyond the PCC is more complex only because it really is two cars from a model point of view which would have to have a working articulation, ie. trucks, connection, and diaphragm. I think as the next type arrives and there are then four generations of such cars that you will see them made. You'll probably have your pick of either or all of the four !