• MBTA Subway/Commuter Rail Models

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by jetfan

ck4049 wrote:I wonder if they would do retired MBTA equipment. I will try contacting them about that. :-)
Hello,
We can do any model in any scale, provided that the interest is there. We may produce one of the subway cars in O scale in the near future, maybe a 0600 or a 1700? We can do retired models, provided that there is enough interest to warrant a run (10-20 models) and we have decent drawings or pictures to work off of. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to email us. We generally respond to all emails within a day or so, should you not receive a response, please resend your email as we may not have received it.
Take care,
Joe
Island Modelworks LLC
  by Eliphaz

I'd like to model the 0600s in N Guage. I have got hold of some nifty Tomix power chassis that are about perfect at 92mm over ends.
If someone made a shell casting Id have to buy, I guess eight, to make two four car trains.
I dont need them finished in any way.
If someone made appropriately contoured tubing, I'd buy some of that and scratch build the rest.
  by MBTA1055

I have an HO Bachmann MBTA F40 and I was looking for some cars for it to pull, more Bombardier or Pullman Standard cars since it has the straight (north side)scheme. I would be interested in those Messerschmitt 500/1500 series cars, as they are used on the north side. There are no numbers on the locomotive, so I am also looking to find number and T logo decals (it has an unrealistic purple and yellow T logo)
  by Eliphaz

MBTA1055 wrote:I have an HO Bachmann MBTA F40 and I was looking for some cars for it to pull, more Bombardier or Pullman Standard cars since it has the straight (north side)scheme. I would be interested in those Messerschmitt 500/1500 series cars, as they are used on the north side. There are no numbers on the locomotive, so I am also looking to find number and T logo decals (it has an unrealistic purple and yellow T logo)
have you looked at the Microscale offering?
http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/mer ... gory_Code=
  by ck4049

I also saw on the Island Modelworks site, they are going to be at the Boston Trolley Meet! :-D
  by Eliphaz

I'm doing a modeling project of the old Blue line cars.
can yous guys suggest a reference work, or have an image you could share?

lots of great photos on the interwebs, but theyre mostly all-nose, station platform views.
interested in the 01200s as well.

e
  by sixflagscoasters

Pay a visit to the Seashore Trolley Museum.

They have the MBTA Blue Line 0600s that you can go look at and take as much video and pictures to your liking. You should be able to get it from all angles. Probably not from above, but there is a decent amount of roof shots online.

Maybe by the time you go up there they might be running them, but if not hopefully they will be in passenger service for Boston Day.
  by 3rdrail

Eliphaz wrote:I'm doing a modeling project of the old Blue line cars.
can yous guys suggest a reference work, or have an image you could share?
I could help you with the Pullmans or the St. Louies. Can't do much on the Hawkers.
  by CRail

Seashore is definitely your best bet. The cars are available for you to take whatever measurements you wish, and there is currently work being done to them, so it's a good time to get in there and ask questions. We also have carbody and mechanical manuals which may be referred to. PM me if you're interested.
  by Eliphaz

CRail wrote:Seashore is definitely your best bet. The cars are available for you to take whatever measurements you wish, and there is currently work being done to them, so it's a good time to get in there and ask questions. We also have carbody and mechanical manuals which may be referred to. PM me if you're interested.
I guess 'take your own dam pictures' is always good advice, and a pilgrimage to trolley Mecca is certainly within reach. thanks for the invite, Ill certainly be in touch. I rode those trains out to Revere daily for almost four years, and never took any pictures.

Mr. Arico, that photo is a pretty good broadside and helps alot wth project at its current state, I've also spent hours looking at all your other pics. thanks for sharing!

e

edit to add: I am pursueing several options to getting some N scale Blue line trains running. I have motor chassis with proper couplers and pantographs. working on shells and roof detail parts.
below is a Bandai model shell I think will contribute some good material to the kit-bash approach.
  by peter1987

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, but not to model railroading or the MBTA. I am planning an N-scale microlayout of a yet-to-be-determined portion of the Red Line (I live in a studio apartment in NY so I don't have much room), and I was looking for advice/pictures/anything you all might have. As I said, I'm not sure exactly what portion I want to do, but I was thinking about somewhere between Broadway and Ashmont. There is a great bit of elevated track that I used to ride to work every day.

In any case, somebody help me out! I'm going to back to Boston (I've lived in MA since birth until a month ago) next week to take pictures, and I'd love suggestions of a place to model, or even pictures some of you might have. I won't be doing the cars yet as I need to get everything in order, so advice on modeling a city (I've only done western freight before) is also helpful, though I think I'll take that to the model railroading forum.

This is my first "real" (modeled after a real place and spending a good amount of time and money) layout, and I want it to be good!

ps Eliphaz, I see you're from Amherst! I grew up there most of my life.

Peter
  by Eliphaz

peter1987 wrote:Hi all,

I am new to this forum, but not to model railroading or the MBTA. I am planning an N-scale microlayout of a yet-to-be-determined portion of the Red Line (I live in a studio apartment in NY so I don't have much room), and I was looking for advice/pictures/anything you all might have. As I said, I'm not sure exactly what portion I want to do, but I was thinking about somewhere between Broadway and Ashmont. There is a great bit of elevated track that I used to ride to work every day.

In any case, somebody help me out! I'm going to back to Boston (I've lived in MA since birth until a month ago) next week to take pictures, and I'd love suggestions of a place to model, or even pictures some of you might have. I won't be doing the cars yet as I need to get everything in order, so advice on modeling a city (I've only done western freight before) is also helpful, though I think I'll take that to the model railroading forum.

This is my first "real" (modeled after a real place and spending a good amount of time and money) layout, and I want it to be good!

ps Eliphaz, I see you're from Amherst! I grew up there most of my life.

Peter
hey Peter, Amherst kid, MBTA modeler and a fellow N scaler at that! Well met sir.
Here is a super photo archive, station by station of all of the MBTA lines.
http://world.nycsubway.org/us/boston/index.html
We have a subforum in http://nscale.NET called urban modeling you will find some good reading there, and UNBELIEVABLE N scale cityscapes.
Japanese railroad modeling embraces urban scenery, urban mass transit, and N scale far more than Americans do.
Here is an english language Japan prototype modeling forum, where you might find some good ideas.
http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php?action=forum
When it comes time to consider vehicles, The JR East 231 series car pictured above looks reasonably close to the Red line 1800 cars, and there are literally dozens of other types to chose from by several very high quality builders, KAto, Tomix, Geenmax and others. you may find you accept one of these, or scratch build your own shell to mount on motorized chassis. (thats the route Ive chose for my Blue line project)
just browse a while here http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/rail/ and youll see what I mean. order direct from Japan !

best luck with your project. alot of smart guys in this forum, to be sure.
  by peter1987

thanks so much! great resources, especially the photo archive. i assume you frequent the ARS hobby show at the Big E. i haven't missed one in 20 years, and i only missed the ones before that because i couldnt walk yet :wink:
  by Eliphaz

yes indeed, a spectacle to behold.
starting next year (yeah I missed this years show) I also plan to make the
Boston Trolley and Transit meet http://www.thebsra.org/trolleymeet/ , and hopefully have something to show.
I also greatly enjoyed the North East Prototype Modelers meet in CT. there's a thread about that in the modeling forum.