• MBTA Subway/Commuter Rail Models

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by MBTA3247

Eliphaz wrote:yes indeed, a spectacle to behold.
starting next year (yeah I missed this years show) I also plan to make the
Boston Trolley and Transit meet http://www.thebsra.org/trolleymeet/ , and hopefully have something to show.
I also greatly enjoyed the North East Prototype Modelers meet in CT. there's a thread about that in the modeling forum.
Unless the BSRA et all plan to change the scheduling of the Trolley Meet, then you mean 2012.
  by Eliphaz

MBTA3247 wrote: Unless the BSRA et all plan to change the scheduling of the Trolley Meet, then you mean 2012.
I stand corrected. hope we meet then.
  by CRail

There is a meet next year it's just in Philly. The Boston and Philadelphia chapters switch off from year to year. Also, I'd be surprised if any of the venders at the meet won't be at the Springfield show which happens annually.
  by fl9m2026

Type7trolley wrote:I have never seen any O scale models of newer-than-PCC Green line trains. :(
In fact the only post PCC Green Line models I have ever seen (that were not homemade) are the HO LRVs that were sold decades ago.

EDIT: I am not sure if it is homemade or not, but either way this O scale LRV is amazing, very detailed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THajWsdkQaA I had not seen this before my post.
CarWorks made the Boeing LRV's in O scale brass in their original configuration (plug vs. folding doors). I believe the YouTube video you linked to is one of those exact models.
  by ck4049

Someone told me that model was scratchbuilt and/or kitbashed.
  by fl9m2026

ck4049 wrote:Someone told me that model was scratchbuilt and/or kitbashed.
You could be right... I've seen the scratchbuilt Type 7 on Youtube before... thought the Boeing looked like a modified CarWorks model (working markers, headlights, etc.) ... I'm probably mistaken. However, CarWorks did make the Boeing in O scale. I missed out on buying one from a local Mass dealer and another on eBay once a few years back... price was too rich for my blood in those days. Been kicking myself ever since. An O Boeing would look great with my St. Petersburg Boston PCC's. Hindsight is 20/20
  by 3rdrail

In any event, there not too far away. People generally model what they remember as a kid, so this generation of modelers will be into the LRV's and such soon. (Please- no models of the Bredas !)
  by Cosmo

I recognize that layout!
The video has it mislabeled as the "Bay State MUSEUM,"
It is in fact the Bay State Society of Model Engineers (BSSME) CLUB in Roslindale, MA,
near Rossie Square. :wink:
  by 3rdrail

It's called the Bay State Model Railroad Museum now, and it's in Rozzie Square at 758 South St.
  by Cosmo

Aaahhh,.... I C!
When did the name-change take place?
I used to run my HO stuff there sometimes.
  by Type7trolley

MTH is coming out with a nice looking, albeit expensive, O gauge model of 3247. There's also a cheaper non-powered version available. Ships in September.
  by ck4049

I think $249 is reasonable for a powered one, $99.95 is a good price for unpowered. I dont recall the rise in sales tax lately! :wink:
  by MBTA3247

Pity that's not an HO-scale model.
  by ck4049

Ive seen custom painted models of 3247. You can do it too! All you need is a shell of a GP40-2 locomotive, yellow, mbta purple, and gray paint and youre good to go!
  by TheJollyRailfan

Ive been followin these guys for quite a while http://www.therailroaddepot.com/newsletter.htm .
These guys are doing a custom run of MBTA Kawasaki's in HO which they made from parts of other cars and custom casts. Last I knew the price tag for a single car was $250. They also paint custom F40s in the stripe and lightning schemes also at $250. I think ill stick with the island cars and start learning how to paint :-D