Railroad Forums 

• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#567338  by Gilbert B Norman

Bringing up the real of #5(14) is Hickory Creek, ex NYC %BR-Obs of Twentieth Century fame. Perhaps some of our members such as Mr. SLCHub or Mr. Hoghead can get a "handle", or maybe even "handle" such themselves regarding the car's destination.
 #567369  by Matt Johnson

CSX Conductor wrote:There were new pictures posted of the "Patron Tequila Express" today on NERAIL and when I looked at the (temporary)circular sign on the rear I caught a web-site. Here's a link to the tour dates. :wink:
I saw that car in Rensselaer today while passing through on the Ethan Allen Express.
 #567370  by Matt Johnson

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Mr. Johnson, the Heritage Diner you note is one of six ex-Northern Pacific delivered during 1958 making such the last Diner to be delivered to any US road. It is Budd stainless construction, but has always been painted - first in NP two tone Green, then BN Forest Green, and finally in what Amtrak calls "Platinum Mist".
I see, thanks! So, I guess it was always painted, but looks like it recently got a fresh coat!
 #567415  by Otto Vondrak

Look for the New York Central "Hickory Creek" on Train 5, returning on Train 6 (18). From Chicago, look for it to return on Train 50 (21). Good luck!!

-otto-
 #568132  by Gilbert B Norman

I doubt if this sighting warrants a separate topic, but it appears that a CHI-DEN Sleeper line (0532) is the "norm" during the peak season.

I noticed such first on my CHI-DEN #5(05JUL) joyride, as well as several other observations of the train passing 18.34. Today on my walk I clearly observed such on #5(16).

So let's give Amtrak credit for assigning cars where they believe they have sufficient supply to do so.
 #569222  by Gilbert B Norman

Today, I noted former UP 10-6 Sleeper Pacific Command last used as a Dorm car "DH and on the head" of 5(19).

Train passed 18.34 roundly 1' late; #3(19) was as good as on #5's markers, or on time.
 #570135  by transit383

The Corridor Clipper went west through North Brunswick yesterday (8/20) around 1:15PM. Pretty sure it was train 171.
 #574111  by jhdeasy

I expect private car MOONLIGHT DOME (x C&O/B&O/SCL/Amtrak) will move from Chicago to Salt Lake City on Amtrak # 5 of Tuesday September 2nd, arriving Salt Lake City on Wednesday September 3rd. The car is enroute from the Lancaster & Chester Railway shop at Lancaster SC home to her new owners at Promontory Point Chapter NRHS.

http://www.trainweb.org/web_lurker/CO1850/

This car has spent most of the past 8 years hidden away from sight at three shops (Northern Rail Car, Avalon Rail and Lancaster & Chester Railway). It has a unique dome profile. Of the six dome cars built by Budd for C&O's Chessie, it is the only one certified to operate on Amtrak in 2008.
 #574556  by jhdeasy

espeefoamer wrote:Is this a dome sleeper or dome lounge?
Well, I would call it a dome-sleeper-lounge. The owners may call it a dome business car.

MOONLIGHT DOME retains the three drawing rooms (six beds) at the long end, plus the crew room (one bed) under the dome. The five roomettes within the short end are gone; this area is now a dining/lounge space. The dome area is occupied by temporary chairs, pending final plans to redevelop this area under the glass.

I've been onboard former C&O domes MOONLIGHT DOME and BIG BEN ... at a height of 6'2" I found that I could not sit comfortably in a dome seat at the side of the car ... the glass structure was too low and too close to my head for comfort ... the Chessie dome profile is different from the more common ACF, Budd or Pullman dome profiles.
 #575231  by chuchubob

hi55us wrote:
chuchubob wrote:AMTK 10002 Corridor Clipper was on an unidentified train running westbound 45 seconds behind train 95 at Princeton Junction Thursday.
wow how did you spot this gem... That was a pretty big train (9 cars) wonder where they got all of those extra cars.
I was waiting for the Silver Star, so I could photograph NYC #3. I was lucky that the Clipper train came along a few minutes ahead of train 91.