• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by GOLDEN-ARM

Couple of cell phone shots, of the Sierra Hotel, at PDX, after being set over, on spot, Depot track #1.

by AgentSkelly

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Couple of cell phone shots, of the Sierra Hotel, at PDX, after being set over, on spot, Depot track #1.

For a second there, I thought it was some sort of MBTA Fantasty Car :)
  by GOLDEN-ARM

That's what you fantasize about, huh?........... :P Todays train had "5" Pv cars in the consist! Well, maybe not real PV's, but here's the deal. Train 27 departed Pasco with a 5 car consist, and 5 PV's as well. When I got to PDX, it was too dark for pix, but I recorded the following details:

BNSF-30 "Glacier View"
BNSF-28 "Mountain View"
BNSF-1 (no name, but a painted out "Gerald Grinstein" was on the nameplate)
BNSF-50 "Stampede Pass"
BNSF 64 "Marias Pass"

They were entrained in that order, and other than a few attendants, they seemed empty. They were left on Depot 4, with further movement not mentioned. This consist was almost as big as the Coast Starlight, copmplete with a pair of P-42's. They ran great, and the stopping power of those extra brakes was suprising. Regards..... :-D
  by jscola30

The GN passenger car is still in the South Station yard.
  by AgentSkelly

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:That's what you fantasize about, huh?........... :P Todays train had "5" Pv cars in the consist! Well, maybe not real PV's, but here's the deal. Train 27 departed Pasco with a 5 car consist, and 5 PV's as well. When I got to PDX, it was too dark for pix, but I recorded the following details:

BNSF-30 "Glacier View"
BNSF-28 "Mountain View"
BNSF-1 (no name, but a painted out "Gerald Grinstein" was on the nameplate)
BNSF-50 "Stampede Pass"
BNSF 64 "Marias Pass"

They were entrained in that order, and other than a few attendants, they seemed empty. They were left on Depot 4, with further movement not mentioned. This consist was almost as big as the Coast Starlight, copmplete with a pair of P-42's. They ran great, and the stopping power of those extra brakes was suprising. Regards..... :-D
Gerald Grinstein was the CEO of BN and then later Delta Airlines .
  by CSX Conductor

jscola30 wrote:The best was tonight around quarter to ten. On one of the tracks, two yard switchers, one of the presumbable Metro North locos in New Haven scheme (not the F units, sorry I'm a steam guy), and a Genesis.
I saw this consist too, at about 830pm in South Station. That loco in New Haven paint is a ConnDot unit, usually used on the ShoreLine East commuter trains between New Haven & Old Saybrook,CT. Not sure where the set was going, possibly the diesel shops in Albany.
  by Matt Johnson

I saw a 13 car Regional led by two AEM-7's stop at Metropark at about 10 pm on August 7. It's pretty rare to see a Regional longer than 9 or 10 cars.
  by jscola30

I think I saw this train in Boston yesterday.
  by CSX Conductor

This afternoon there was an old green six-axle private car on track 8 at South Station. The lettering above the windows on the sides of the car read "The Patron Tequila Express".
  by CSX Conductor

I found a picture of the above mentioned car.

by Matt Johnson

Over the last few months I've caught glimpses of a Heritage diner that appears to be painted, usually racing past at 110 mph on the Silver Star or Silver Meteor. It's almost the stainless steel color, but I was pretty sure it looked like the body was painted. Well, I managed to find a youtube video that shows this car. Not great quality, unfortunately, but you can see what I'm talking about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq-FpM_Bi8w
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Johnson, the Heritage Diner you note is one of six ex-Northern Pacific delivered during 1958 making such the last Diner to be delivered to any US road. It is Budd stainless construction, but has always been painted - first in NP two tone Green, then BN Forest Green, and finally in what Amtrak calls "Platinum Mist".

However, BNSF has retained one such car, NP 459, for "executrain" service, and have named such Lake Superior. Note that they have sheathed the car with polished Stainless Steel.
  by RedSoxSuck

Matt Johnson wrote:I saw a 13 car Regional led by two AEM-7's stop at Metropark at about 10 pm on August 7. It's pretty rare to see a Regional longer than 9 or 10 cars.
If it is the train I think it was, it was a combined train, as an earlier one was cancelled. I don't have the details on hand right now...
  by JimBoylan

Sorry, the mail arrived with my refund after I posted the below news. The trip has been canceled because arrangements couldn't be made with Amtrak.

L & N Business Car 353 "Ohio River" should be running NY-PBG and back Sat. - Sun. 8/16-7, possibly on the Pennsylvanian. Business Class on those trains is sold out, so maybe it will pick up some fares. I already bought 2 tickets. Call Morristown & Erie RR to buy your own.
Last edited by JimBoylan on Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by CSX Conductor

There were new pictures posted of the "Patron Tequila Express" today on NERAIL and when I looked at the (temporary)circular sign on the rear I caught a web-site. Here's a link to the tour dates. :wink: