• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Tadman

Six PV's came in on the Chief to KC. I'm not sure which chief. But I was in a meeting at 2345 Grand, which has a great view of KCUS, and noticed a string of PV's on the house track. Upon the meeting's end, I drove over. I saw the following:
(1) RI lightweight with two doors (jim crow style)
(2) ATSF lighweights, one Budd, one PS. the Budd was owned by a museum
(1) ATSF heavyweight painted silver - Chico something, with an open platform
(1) MILW-built, UP-painted, KCS owned Pullman. I take it as KCS as KCS marks have been spraypainted on the car for 6 months now.

My favorite was the "Central Pacific's Promontory Point", a lightweight, open platform obs, PPCX 800724. It was painted UPRR Armor yellow, but it had the brown roof/underbody in lieu of the standard UP grey - kind of like the very early UP streamliners (M10001 et al). To see this in person is a really cool look - I think UP should paint another heritage SD70 for themselves, with the brown trim. Or even start painting locomotives with the brown trim as they are built or repainted normally. It's VERY COOL.

Here's a pic taken by Jeff Carlson a few months back of some of these cars parked at KCUS.

Here's a close-up of Promontory Point by Keith B - as you can see, stunning with the brown trim.

Mods, Admins, and photo owners - If these big pics are out of line here, I'm happy to remove, etc... and take no offense if they're removed by others.
  by Gare_NY

I was standing on the outbound side of the North Glenview station last night (just a mile or two north of GLN) when the #339 Hiawatha came hurtling through. While it was on approach, I looked across the rails to the inbound side, and spotted a fellow railfan, his camera at the ready.

As the 339 passed, I caught a quick glimpse of what appeared to be a cabbage car that was painted differently than the normal (and somewhat dingy) cabbages than I'm used to. Once it was passed, I called out to him and asked about it. He mentioned something about it being a Cascades cabbage, and that perhaps the normal car was bad-ordered or something.

Anyone know what's up, and why this car is running on the Hiawatha, so far from home?

Gare_NY
  by AMTK1007

Gare_NY wrote:I was standing on the outbound side of the North Glenview station last night (just a mile or two north of GLN) when the #339 Hiawatha came hurtling through. While it was on approach, I looked across the rails to the inbound side, and spotted a fellow railfan, his camera at the ready.

As the 339 passed, I caught a quick glimpse of what appeared to be a cabbage car that was painted differently than the normal (and somewhat dingy) cabbages than I'm used to. Once it was passed, I called out to him and asked about it. He mentioned something about it being a Cascades cabbage, and that perhaps the normal car was bad-ordered or something.

Anyone know what's up, and why this car is running on the Hiawatha, so far from home?

Gare_NY
90230 has been in the midwest for aout a month now.. it is presumably here on loan to replace the 90225 that has been on the GMA train out east..

Get your shots now becasue the 90225 was being stripped of it's satelite equipment today.
  by jhdeasy

Tadman wrote: My favorite was the "Central Pacific's Promontory Point", a lightweight, open platform obs, PPCX 800724. It was painted UPRR Armor yellow, but it had the brown roof/underbody in lieu of the standard UP grey - kind of like the very early UP streamliners (M10001 et al). To see this in person is a really cool look - It's VERY COOL.

You are correct, Tadman, and I agree with your opinion of the car! I got a tour from the owner when it was in town for the AAPRCO 2008 Washington Reception at Washington Union Station.

Many people incorrectly assume PROMONTORY POINT is a heavyweight business car, but in fact it was rebuilt by the Autoliner Corporation as a business car from Pullman Standard 1953 built lightweight 6-6-4 sleeper Chicago & Eastern Illinois 902 LOBLOLLY PINE.
  by John_Perkowski

Mr Deasy,

Thanks. I knew the end was probably from Kratville; his platforms seem all to be modeled that style. I can now get the rest of her history.

I've walked around the house tracks at KCUS more than once in recent months, admiring these cars.
  by Kamen Rider

PPR "Greenwich Estate" in the Amtrak yard in New Haven from yesterday.

(its a good thing for the "preview button", or else you'd all be looking at ex New Orleans Public Service car 850)
  by jscola30

Don't know if this has been discussed, but I saw an Amfleet on a morning train with the new Regional logo that's been appearing in the new ads.
  by BuddSilverliner269

Sitting in Penn Coach yard today is a Marc AEM7. Didnt catch the number and also tacked on the end of train 43 were 2 private cars. 1 was a Santa Fe stainless steel coach and the other was a NYC heavyweight Observation car.
  by Gilbert B Norman

I did not get much of an observation of this today, as I was passing through 'condo canyon" @ MP 18.65 on my walk.

However #4(27) passing here at about when it should have been arriving @ CUS, had "three or four" cars, presumably PV's on the rear.

Ideas anyone, who was off and enjoying themselves while "there's still time, Brother'? (DJIA down 777 points today).
  by Kaback9

Gilbert B Norman wrote:I did not get much of an observation of this today, as I was passing through 'condo canyon" @ MP 18.65 on my walk.

However #4(27) passing here at about when it should have been arriving @ CUS, had "three or four" cars, presumably PV's on the rear.

Ideas anyone, who was off and enjoying themselves while "there's still time, Brother'? (DJIA down 777 points today).
Could they be DC bound?
  by DanD3815

Last night while waiting for my 10:05 port jervis bound train in secacus i saw an Amtrak alp44 puling a single older pullman style coach. I think it might have been an old MARC coach because the stripes did appear to be blue and orange but it was nightime so maybe the lights were making it look different, it almost looked like a herritage diner too. Anyway i thought that was interesting, anythone anything about it
  by Kaback9

DanD3815 wrote:Last night while waiting for my 10:05 port jervis bound train in secacus i saw an Amtrak alp44 puling a single older pullman style coach. I think it might have been an old MARC coach because the stripes did appear to be blue and orange but it was nightime so maybe the lights were making it look different, it almost looked like a herritage diner too. Anyway i thought that was interesting, anythone anything about it
Amtrak only has AEM7's and AEM7AC's. It may have been the phase 3 dinner that has been sitting for a while in Penn Station I think its used for work trains.
  by DanD3815

ok i was gonna say AEM7 but i didnt know if they were still around or if they were the same thing NJT has but now i know thanks. Ive seen that diner sitting in Penn before so maybe that was it..Also there is an old Penn Central coach always sitting in NYP. Im assuming thats for work crews as well?
  by Kaback9

DanD3815 wrote:ok i was gonna say AEM7 but i didnt know if they were still around or if they were the same thing NJT has but now i know thanks. Ive seen that diner sitting in Penn before so maybe that was it..Also there is an old Penn Central coach always sitting in NYP. Im assuming thats for work crews as well?
I believe so I always see it as well an wonder when was the last time it moved.
  by CVRA7

Amtrak GP38 H-3 #526 and NH (CDOT) GP40-2H 6694 light engines northbound by Berlin CT today (2Oct08) 242pm.
My guess is 6694 is bound for Amtrak Rensselaer for some repairs.