Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1642349  by Jonathan

That's actually a good point, I was thinking about proposals that Conway COULD have put on the table, but now, I believe that the end of the section of the Conway Branch from Conway to Ossipee is ultimately going to be a rail trail, which is sad to see.

Speaking of railfans, I may be wrong, but, I don't think Conway's going to be doing any special excursions during the 50th anniversary season.
 #1642355  by CPF66

They had planned to get the 7470 operational and a few other pieces of rolling stock like the original open air cars restored, but its another thing on the list of unfinished projects.
 #1642397  by Who

If the contractor has not already started welding the new piece in place by this point, then I wouldn't expect to see 7470 in operation for the 50th Anniversary. It was described to me that they had about 2 to 3 months of welding ahead of them and that's with an outside contractor, welding 5 days a week; I'm not a welder, so I don't know if that statement is accurate or not.
 #1642403  by Jonathan

What needs to be done with 7470? It seems since the rebuild was done, steam has been getting less operating time than before. I read somewhere on here that the 1472 was only partially done on 7470, can anyone confirm that?
 #1642406  by CPF66

The 1472 needs to be completely done before a locomotive can return to service. There is no way the FRA would let it return to service without the inspection being complete and the locomotive having a clean bill of health.

It has some issues aside from the boiler, associated to have an unskilled engineer (AKA the owner of the railroad) beating on the locomotive (If you don't believe me just dig through footage of the locomotive from 2019-2020, there are plenty of shots of the locomotive having excessive wheel slip on dry, flat track). As for the boiler I was told it needs major work. I can't confirm it myself, but a fairly reputable source I know who is a former employee of the railroad (take that as you will) told me the crown sheet either A. is damaged or B. Came extremely close to failing the last time the 7470 was in operation. I don't think the project has progressed in some time, since I think the railroad still owes money to the steam contractor out of Maine for the repairs to the locomotive after the fire a few years ago. I remember hearing about a possible lawsuit last year, but all of that could just be a rumor and the locomotive might just have more minor damage. I am also wondering if they were able to find replacement trucks for the tender. They mentioned it in passing that a replacement truck had either been cast or located, but I think that started at least 2 years ago and seems to resurface every few months.
Last edited by MEC407 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1642407  by Jonathan

Well, your source must know what he's talking about, and I've seen some wheel slip from Railfans Weekend in 2019 departing North Conway. Let's hope the repairs get done in time for August. For those of you on the CSRX FB group, what's the current situation as far as where Conway is in getting those repairs done?
 #1642408  by Who

I think you are confusing the information about it being partially done when the railroad was sold. The 1472 inspection was completed, they needed the FRA's blessing before it could go back into service.
The work being done on it now is the replacement of the Crown Sheet after pitting was discovered in the last boiler wash and inspection. While technically it was still in good enough shape to passed inspection, they would've had to operate at a lower boiler pressure, so the decision was made to replace it. It's not a small nor cheap repair and last I heard going back to last fall, they were still waiting for the new peace to be delivered from the steel mill. Once that arrives is supposedly two to three months of welding, inspect, welding, inspect and so on until the job is finished.
 #1642412  by Who

CPF66 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:00 pm I am also wondering if they were able to find replacement trucks for the tender. They mentioned it in passing that a replacement truck had either been cast or located, but I think that started at least 2 years ago and seems to resurface every few months.
The tender trucks are done, what we see is not temporary as some have stated. They found identical replacements only to discover the same cracking issues, so what became an unfortunate occurrence ended up being too common and they abandoned the idea of finding matching replacements.
Last edited by MEC407 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: excessive quoting
 #1642434  by CSRR573

Who wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:38 pm The tender trucks are done, what we see is not temporary as some have stated. They found identical replacements only to discover the same cracking issues, so what became an unfortunate occurrence ended up being too common and they abandoned the idea of finding matching replacements.
Im sure the RR has gone down this avenue before but 7470 has a identical twin still surviving in Michigan I believe. I wonder if thats where they found the identical trucks from. Also I wonder if they've ever gotten and spares from the twin.
Seems like ever simce Court retired, 7470 has been neglected
Last edited by MEC407 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: excessive quoting
 #1642463  by CPF66

I have talked to Court a few times post retirement. He makes it out to the crossing by his house a few times per day to watch the trains pass, the guy is a wealth of knowledge. One of the issues 7470 had back a few years ago he identified just by the sound of it.

As for the trucks, its too bad new parts couldn't be cast, the freight car trucks under it now look awful. It would be nice to see money channeled into that project vs. some of the other redundant ones. But I guess I don't own it, so I can't treat it like my 1:1 scale model railroad...