Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1641230  by CPF66

Goddraug wrote:With all the respect I can muster to CSRR, NHCR, and SLR, the "outside connection" to Conway isn't really conducive to anything besides necessary equipment moves. Class 1 railroad to SLR, who then has to bring it to Groveton or Stratford, which then has to be brought down by New Hampshire Central, which then has to be brought by Conway Scenic through a mountain pass that's realistically only operable during warmer months. That outside connection is more circuitous than the Monaco Grand Prix, not conducive for freight.

Speaking of, here's what I see on google maps. Bear in mind, no assurance that these companies have been reached out to or expressed interest, just surface level investigating.

Tamworth:
- Hancock Lumber Madison Mill
- Kennebec Lumber
- Pine Tree Power
- North Country Recycling (HUGE maybe, they're kinda small).

South Conway
- Pike Industries
- Coleman Concrete

I'm not really an industry insider, so I'm not fully sure what the 4 possible customers would be in Tamworth that expressed interest. My theory is probably those four, though. Also important to note that, during the Mt. Division proceedings, HarMac said they'd like to get their steel transloaded closer to their Fryeburg location.

In the case of Pike, Coleman, and Pine Tree Power, there's some products where transloading makes less sense rather than a direct on-site delivery (mainly with loose commodities, I hate using that word but you get what I mean). Without them, you really start to enter the "is the revenue worth the cost" scenario.

I don't think Conway Scenic would be a real threat to NHN in terms of freight service, due to the previously mentioned difficulties with routing and interchange rates, compared to NHN's sole interchange with a Class 1. Again, though, this is all my own conjecture and time will really tell what happens.

Hancock Lumber doesn't ship by rail. Other railroads have put out feelers with other mills they own and they have been adamant that they aren't interested in rail service. One of the largest mills they own straddles the SLR main line in Bethel and another in Pittsfield has an existing spur to the CSX main line. Pine Tree Power appears to use woodchips as biomass fuel. That presents a few issues, you need to have a supplier with rail service, which likely means sourcing chips from the north country. Aside from NECR, the only other railroad in the northeast moving woodchips these days is NBM Railways. Logs and chips are extremely low revenue freight which is why everyone else has stopped moving them. The only reason NBM continues to move them is because their parent company owns the timberlands, the company which logs that land, the chip mills, the railroad, the cars, the paper mill which uses said chips, and the oil refinery which supplies fuel to the whole operation.

As for Pike, I forgot if they are owned by Allstate Materials or if the parent company CRH owns Allstate. But regardless, I believe they get asphalt emulsion into a few places in Mass and they are in a partnership with a few other companies with the Downeast Emulsion facility in Hermon, Maine. Yes the points are far between, but trucking is still more cost effective.

I would be highly surprised if Coleman uses enough cement mix to warrant rail service. I know HO Bouchard used to haul cement out of Dragon for them and a few others. However for a plant that size, you would only be looking at like 1 car a week tops.
Who wrote:CPF66: You're all over the map with your post, in your 2nd paragraph
That was a mistake on my part, I started to revise my original statement but walked away to do some other things before sitting back down to finish what I was trying to say. I probably should have taken the time to review what I was saying, but why measure twice and cut once.
I am aware NHN doesn't operate the MD, I should have made it more clear that I was trying to compare how much traffic would be needed to make the Conway Branch viable. The bit about NHN and CSX was geared towards the Conway Branch. If Conway is the party which would be moving the freight, not NHN that would torpedo any hope of the operation being profitable.
For what its worth if there is any line Conway Scenic should be working to preserve, its the connection from Hazens to Groveton. With zero online customers, who knows how long it will be before NHCR pulls the plug.

As for the bus line, I wasn't talking about the company they bought. I was talking about the school bus they bought back around 2019 with the intention of running shuttles to the resorts.

And as for the open air car, I am afraid I am not. Swirk bought that generator with the intention of plopping it in one end of an open air car to provide hep for the Mountaineer. I have lost track of the Conway Scenic impulse purchases at this point, but I want to say he bought a baggage car which had been converted to a hep car already, making the conversion irrelevant.

Just it seems that the last thing the railroad should be doing is taking on another project, when they already have a bunch of half finished ones laying around.
 #1641232  by NHN503

CPF66 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:31 am If the customers are interested in rail service, NHN has been open to adding non-sand customers over the years.
They are only interested in an amount of non-sand customers that generate just enough that their sand ships free, which is why you only have HarMac, Eastern and the occasional oil cars. Its enough to not add significant time to the train, only needs one crew, and pays the bills so your rail mounted conveyor belt moves at almost 0 overhead. For those of us that worked there, its very clear. Nothing new.
 #1641264  by CPF66

Who wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:19 pm So, NHN is really operating on borrowed time, once the sand disappears, so does the railroad.
I imagine Boston Sand & Gravel has a long term plan figured out for that. It looks like there is 50-100+ acres of undeveloped land in close proximity to the pit, so I wouldn't expect that future pit expansions would be too hard to pull off.
 #1641282  by NHN503

They have approx. 30yrs in the current pit available. They also own across the road on the west side of Rt 16, which I believe has about 50-80yrs worth estimated.
Who wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:19 pm So, NHN is really operating on borrowed time, once the sand disappears, so does the railroad.
No the ownership by BS&G disappears. There is a need and demand for the railroad there without the sand, it just only exists in its current narrow scope because they focus on the sand because they are a company that wants sand, owns a sand pit, and owns a sand train.
 #1641863  by jfwjr1

HB1468 testimony showed NHN adamant to pull up the Conway branch.
With CSX to their south, do they fear CSX to the North?
CSX is dumping hundreds of millions into New England to address deferred maintenance. Would there be value to CSX to go to the north of NHN?
 #1641864  by Goddraug

They, as stated a few times, probably just want to avoid any traffic that would interfere with their precious gravel train.

I am slightly intrigued seeing more than one of their employees in Facebook comment sections posting support for the retention of the rails from Ossipee to Conway. Glad at least someone in NHN has an ounce of foresight...
 #1641867  by jfwjr1

During the testimony at the NH State House of HB1468 around Feb 7, 2024, the position stated by NHN was a strong advocate to rip up the Conway Branch. Conway Scenic approached NHN about a partnership to use the Conway branch, but NHN had no interest in this.

My thoughts are, they don’t want to share NHN at all, if they fear CSX going through NHN, to the north
 #1641868  by Goddraug

If Conway Scenic/NHN Employees/Potential Industries want to state their case, this is the year to do it. There's already been independent editorials and posts by the 470 Railroad Club related to the line, advocating for its rehabilitation. I wish them best of luck.
 #1641885  by CPF66

jfwjr1 wrote: My thoughts are, they don’t want to share NHN at all, if they fear CSX going through NHN, to the north
Why would they fear CSX going north? Its been debunked here that CSX has no interest in any potential customers on the Conway Branch. Personally, I have a feeling that once the STB review of the Pan Am-CSX takeover is complete, CSX will drop back to the status quo when it comes to dealing with carload customers. At the end of the day they aren't investing into Pan Am to dink around with a few cars a year off the Conway Branch, or really any of the other lines they operate. They are a class 1, to them the possibility of container traffic is driving the investment.

My theory about NHN is that they don't want to add the rest of the Conway Branch, since traffic likely wouldn't justify the expense of operating it. Even if Conway paid for the rehab. If the customers are desperate for rail, they will move to the existing transloads on NHN.
 #1642120  by Goddraug

I just don’t think NHN cares about anything other than the gravel trains and freight they can run between/alongside them.

If the gravel/aggregate companies are interested in freight, I don’t think transloading would really work for them all too well especially if they want to move their product in bulk.
 #1642125  by CPF66

Like I said previously, it wouldn't be overly difficult for the customers Conway supposedly found, to relocate to the existing transload on NHN... I am sure BS&G probably wouldn't bend over backwards to add new customers, but a customer relocating to an existing transload, of which any expansions to the rail infrastructure would be partially funded by grants, would probably be enough for NHN to be interested.