Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1642134  by b&m 1566

There will never be an extension north of Ossipee Aggregates, so long as NHN is owned by BS&G. Not to mention they are one of the many local businesses backing support for the Ossipee Rail Trail. The abandoned portion of the Conway Branch, is going to become a rail trail.
 #1642135  by CPF66

The point of view that NHN has, I can understand. For the business model they have, an expansion north makes no sense. However if those customers were transloading or located on the part of the branch they operate, that is likely in their wheel house.
 #1642150  by CPF66

There is strong support for the trail, from a quick overview there doesn't seem to be enough customers to warrant rail service, and Conway is overstretched as is. So I think its safe to say the trail is being built.
 #1642161  by b&m 1566

You want the facts here it is:
1. BS&G is against it
2. State legislators are against it
3. FORT is against it with political support and backing of local businesses including NHN.
4. Coleman's is against it
5. Conway Scenic is not interested for the four reasons noted above.
 #1642164  by NHV 669

Goddraug wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:07 pm I think a hasty conclusion to arrive at without knowing what might be going on behind the scenes from any of the stakeholders involved. We’ll see.
Hardly a hasty conclusion, when it's been 50 years in the making, lol...

You keep mentioning stakeholder(s) plural, when NHDOT owns the line, and continues to be the only party holding all the cards and the final decision in the matter.

None of the railroads mentioned presently hold any operating rights, and the two adjacent ones have had decades to come up with something. Alas, nothing....

The "interested shippers" should have made some noise when the Pan Am buyout was formally moved forward instead of reactively chirping at the last minute, and unless they plan on moving more than a few cars here and there, (which i find highly doubtful) their voices are "too little, too late."
 #1642185  by b&m 1566

Not only will the rail not be restored through Coleman's pit, they will fight even harder to keep the rail trail away, the risk of injury or death to a pedestrian/bicyclist going through there would be considerably high.

Now that VTR is about to buy the NHCR, don't expect them to retain the section beyond Hazen's or even continue to maintain the ball signal and shanty like NHCR was doing. If this Waumbek/Quebec Junction linkup that I keep hearing about is real, then that puts Hazen's in Jeopardy. Now would be the time to take the necessary steps to try and preserve one of the tracks leading to the diamond, not 20 years from now when they are ready to pull the rails to connect the two rail trails.
 #1642211  by Jonathan

I have a question about the Hazens comment that you made, doesn't Conway Scenic own track up to that point or is it owned by the state and is loaned to Conway Scenic or are you not talking about the section of track from Fabyans to Hazens?
 #1642215  by NHV 669

NHDOT owns the Mountain Division between the NH/Maine border and MP 111.57 in Gilman, Vermont. Conway Scenic leases between the border and Hazens. The only track CSRX owns is the 7 miles of the Conway Branch they started operations with.

Quebec Jct. and Waumbek Jct. are the points where the Beecher Falls branch split off from the Mountain Division, and where it crossed the B&M Berlin Branch at a diamond. They're located just south and East of Hazens.
 #1642233  by NHV 669

The Mountain Division doesn't go north of Fabyan... nor is the proposed trail anywhere near MP 88.3. It's absolutely possible one may happen west of 103.6, given the lack of online traffic, cost of track rehab, and the fact that the Bureau of Trails is the only group doing any RoW maintenance similar to the ever-receding Berlin Branch.

CSRX will retain an outside connection regardless of what the track configuration is, that much you can guarantee.
 #1642334  by CPF66

Jonathan wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:24 pm COULD Conway scenic make a proposal to extend passenger service to Madison?
Its worth noting the vast majority of riders on Conway Scenic aren't railfans. The Conway excursion fits the needs of most tourists/families riding on the train. The Bartlett and Notch Trains fill the need for the longer excursions. At this point, extending the Conway run would only result in a loss of riders if it becomes too long.