• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by gokeefe

The real number I would like to know is what the "max" train length could be for either the Star or the Meteor.

Let's assume that Amtrak would block passengers off by destination and that it would not result in double stops anywhere.

Also assume that we are talking about additional sleepers and not coaches etc. Build out from there and include a second diner and/or bag-dorm or bag if you think it's called for. No second sections.

Given those constraints how long would the train be, how many sleepers could it handle, and how many new Viewliners need to be delivered before this can happen on most (if not all departures) for a given route?

My number is 15. That would allow three additional sleepers for the Silver Meteor on every departure (I believe there are five trainsets). One baggage dorm in addition to the regular baggage car would be required. Sleepers and baggage on the tail end. Passengers boarding for coach would have to board at the rear most coach vestibule and walk forward. Coach would fill from front to rear. Sleepers would board at most convenient vestibule to station with baggage handled trainside etc.
  by east point

It may be leave NYP with 14 cars and have cut off cars at WASH for both silvers and Crescent. Coaches and sleepers maybe extra dinner high season ?
  by JimBoylan

The wye at Tampa, Fla. limits train length for that branch.
  by gokeefe

Then maybe Amtrak should consider a big cut of setout sleepers at ORL. Obviously that begs the question of S&I ...

Regardless, "all chips on Florida" is where I think they should be. The only other place I think even has a ghost of a case for more sleepers is the Lake Shore Limited at certain times of the year (not February!) and #66/67 year round (one sleeper, maybe two).
  by bostontrainguy

JimBoylan wrote:The wye at Tampa, Fla. limits train length for that branch.
Why do you say that? That wye doesn't have a limit. What would limit train length?

Also looks like Siemens could have resolved this CAF debacle with some nice new Viaggio sleepers:

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/trac ... leets.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It will be interesting to see what a Siemen's sleeper will look like, but traditionally European sleepers have transverse rooms and I much prefer Amtrak's longitudinal roomettes. Probably actually pretty similar in size but having the larger window on the longer side makes it brighter and facing seats at the window make it much more pleasant for enjoying the scenery.

I will give two thumbs up to the Viewliner roomette design and if Siemens can duplicate it perhaps support the idea of a national fleet of single level equipment. It would be good to standardize Amtrak's fleet for many reasons but the loss of the bi-level efficiency will only negatively effect the financial bottom line of most LD trains. It's a tough call.
  by ApproachMedium

As of today in the amtrak paperwork the LDSL cars were offically changed to Viewliner II cars. I dont know why they did this, but right now im not sure who is up there at the wheel. They are all in the book for 125mph operation as well, so as soon as the new sleepers roll out and start replacing the old sleepers we should be seeing some faster long hauls on the corridor.

Also in my idk how many times of riding the auto train i have yet to see the sightseer lounge on the train. its always parked in florida. The train really needs the two lounges. When they tried to run it with one lounge a few years ago i was on the train, and the lounge was in the middle between the coach and sleeper section and it was PACKED. The train was also sold out with over 550 passengers on board. The need for two lounges helps keep the crowding down as well as provides the additional space for breakfast.
  by gokeefe

ApproachMedium wrote:As of today in the amtrak paperwork the LDSL cars were offically changed to Viewliner II cars. I dont know why they did this, but right now im not sure who is up there at the wheel. They are all in the book for 125mph operation as well, so as soon as the new sleepers roll out and start replacing the old sleepers we should be seeing some faster long hauls on the corridor.
Speeds up anything running baggage only right off I would think. Carolinian, Palmetto and #66/67 (seems unlikely) come to mind.
  by jhdeasy

Today (July 24), Amtrak is picking up 3 new diners and 1 new baggage-dorm from CAF at Elmira NY and bringing them to ALB.
  by Gilbert B Norman

ApproachMedium wrote:Also in my idk how many times of riding the auto train i have yet to see the sightseer lounge on the train. its always parked in florida
Mr. Approach, the one Sightseer assigned to the AT pool was in consist for my "Voyage 24" on 52 (22FEB).

First, I must wonder why they did not order the conversion of six 380XX Diners to 3350X Lounges rather than five. Two of such were damaged at Crescent City, but were returned to service. At that time, seveal 380XX Sightseers were brought in to "pinch hit", but it seems that one has stayed in the "lineup".

Why Amtrak has continued to have that Sightseer in the AT Pool escapes me when there are 370XX Diner Lounges sitting around out of work. Anytime I see a 5 or 6 go by 18.71 with a 37 subbing for a 33, I think of that one of the latter, I think of that one and "if you've seen one Pine Tree, you've seen 'em all".
  by R36 Combine Coach

jhdeasy wrote:Today (July 24), Amtrak is picking up 3 new diners and 1 new baggage-dorm from CAF at Elmira NY and bringing them to ALB.
This indicates delivery of the diners is complete (68020, 68021, 68022).
  by Gilbert B Norman

Negative Mr. R36 Combine

The delivery is reported to be 09, 23, 24. Remaining are 00, 10, 11.

No reports regarding which Bag-Dorm is on the move.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by R&DB

Gilbert B Norman » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:11 pm

Negative Mr. R&DB.
Is that in response to my post in the Penn Station Repairs thread?
  by Gilbert B Norman

R&DB wrote:
Gilbert B Norman » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:11 pm

Negative Mr. R&DB.
Is that in response to my post in the Penn Station Repairs thread?
Mr. R&DB, please accept my sincere apology for identifying the wrong Member; the post has been edited
  by dowlingm

ApproachMedium wrote:As of today in the amtrak paperwork the LDSL cars were offically changed to Viewliner II cars. I dont know why they did this, but right now im not sure who is up there at the wheel. They are all in the book for 125mph operation as well, so as soon as the new sleepers roll out and start replacing the old sleepers we should be seeing some faster long hauls on the corridor.
Approach - by old sleepers do you mean the View Is? I thought the idea was to requalify them to 125 too https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-dC4pUJ9c ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by ApproachMedium

The original viewliners were already tested and qualified up to 125mph, they have yet to change this in the paperwork I dont know why yet. Possibly they will wait until all the diners are here and others. The old viewsleepers will need to be totally rebuilt anyhow so maybe after that is done.