Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by buddah

AAAHH thank you viahogger that clip had been puzzling me for a while and I just remembered it so decided to post and see if anyone knew what the circumstances were behind the unusual movement.. I guess I was right something did happen while pushing the Maple leaf ( 97) from Mimico yard also known as TMC ( for those wondering) to union station. Im surprised the brakes were that hot! I guess I was really on the money when I made the joke the situation is just " A HOT MESS " well I guess that's what happens when you get Amtrak and there deferred maintenance program. Hopefully that will change soon. I wonder if VIA TMC tried to fully fix it or just send it back dead in tow later on. Did the Maple leaf that morning leave with no cafe car (no meals at all served) or did via substitute it with some other equipment?
  by ramonesfan

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Well Mr. Ramone, if a car, freight or passenger, is Bad Ordered account its running gear, then it must be repaired on the spot - it ain't a movin' until....

If the car is roadworthy, i.e. it can move over the road, and if a passenger car, was Bad Ordered account, say, HVAC, electrical, and in this case since it is a Food Service Car, refrigeration, then at the option of the car's owner (Amtrak), it can be deadheaded back to an Amtrak facility.

But that it was being pushed by a VIA switcher suggests the car was Bad Ordered at the station after the equipment set and that the reason for its B/O was related to its running gear.
like a hotbox were it can't make it all the way back to the states but it can make it to a repair shop thats close buy at a slow speed.

Moderator's note: extraneous comment removed as unnecessary
  by viahogger

buddah wrote: I wonder if VIA TMC tried to fully fix it or just send it back dead in tow later on. Did the Maple leaf that morning leave with no cafe car (no meals at all served) or did via substitute it with some other equipment?
The car would need to be fixed before being sent back to the U.S. There is a requirement that trains destined to the United States must have 100% of the brakes working leaving
the last safety inspection location. It must not have taken them long to fix because the car wasn't at the TMC for very long. I don't know what became of the food service on the train that day?
Via did not replace the car and probably would have just had the attendant set up in a 4 seater and provide the service from there minus any refrigerated goods. The service up to the border
is provided by Via Rail at Niagara Falls the Amtrak attendant loads his supplies and the Via employee removes his. I have seen Via Rail provide coolers filled with ice in situations where there
is no refrigeration however I believe this is a big no-no on the American side ie: not being FDA compliant?
  by AgentSkelly

I'm not 100% sure about the refrigeration under FDA regulations; I think you CAN use coolers but the temperature must be able to be maintained at under a certain level.

I don't see why not anything with the refrigeration could be fixed in Toronto; I'm pretty sure there is a Canadian parts distributor for those fridges.

Of course, I wondering if it broke while in VIA's possession and Amtrak told them "You fix it!" :P
  by viahogger

AgentSkelly wrote:I'm not 100% sure about the refrigeration under FDA regulations; I think you CAN use coolers but the temperature must be able to be maintained at under a certain level.

I don't see why not anything with the refrigeration could be fixed in Toronto; I'm pretty sure there is a Canadian parts distributor for those fridges.

Of course, I wondering if it broke while in VIA's possession and Amtrak told them "You fix it!" :P

It wasn't the refrigeration that was defective on the car but the brakes. The car would have to be fixed in Canada before being sent back, this is a Transport Canada
requirement not a you broke it you fix it situation. No additional Amtrak cars are stationed in Toronto so the train simply went without a food service car.
  by buddah

So would I be right in assuming that TMC (mimico yard) has some amfleet spare parts stored in case of situations like this, or are parts trucked up when needed. Im guessing option number 1. I wonder what would the procedure be if an amfleet got a major flat spot on a wheel? I know TMC possibly does not have any amfleet wheels stored there.
  by ramonesfan

viahogger wrote:
AgentSkelly wrote:I'm not 100% sure about the refrigeration under FDA regulations; I think you CAN use coolers but the temperature must be able to be maintained at under a certain level.

It wasn't the refrigeration that was defective on the car but the brakes. The car would have to be fixed in Canada before being sent back, this is a Transport Canada
requirement not a you broke it you fix it situation. No additional Amtrak cars are stationed in Toronto so the train simply went without a food service car.
so when the next amtrak trains comes in it will depart with 2 food service cars or will via ship out the fixed car on a CN train.
  by AgentSkelly

buddah wrote:So would I be right in assuming that TMC (mimico yard) has some amfleet spare parts stored in case of situations like this, or are parts trucked up when needed. Im guessing option number 1. I wonder what would the procedure be if an amfleet got a major flat spot on a wheel? I know TMC possibly does not have any amfleet wheels stored there.
I suddenly have a picture of Amtrak FedEx'ing via the high priority option parts to VIA at TMC....
  by viahogger

That's exactly what they would do if it came down to it. Via doesn't to my knowledge have any parts for Amtrak equipment on hand so if the equipment
couldn't be sent back to the U.S. then the parts would be shipped to the TMC. In the past I have seen cars that have had to have wheels replaced due to a
minor derailment. The replacement wheel set was simply shipped by flatbed truck and installed. And yes the next day the train would have had 2 cafe cars
one in service and the other deadhead.

AgentSkelly wrote:
buddah wrote:So would I be right in assuming that TMC (mimico yard) has some amfleet spare parts stored in case of situations like this, or are parts trucked up when needed. Im guessing option number 1. I wonder what would the procedure be if an amfleet got a major flat spot on a wheel? I know TMC possibly does not have any amfleet wheels stored there.
I suddenly have a picture of Amtrak FedEx'ing via the high priority option parts to VIA at TMC....
  by viahogger

I mentioned how the odd time something happens and #97 may be short a coach or cafe car...well that something happened last
night at the TMC. #98 derailed his last car when going around the wye (ran over derail) We had to wye our train (#49) and we just
fit between the top switch and the derailed car. On my way out of the TMC I noticed the Amtrak cafe car sitting derailed near
New Toronto street. So Im guessing that #97 will be short one cafe car today June 22 as it will probably have to have the wheels changed
out before it's allowed to return to the U.S.
  by jp1822

Yikes! An all day trip from Toronto to NYP with no cafe car (no breakfast, lunch or dinner for those onboard). Let alone the fact there will be no business class seats for those aboard. Hope Amtrak tries to bring something onboard or it has moved it's "snacks" to a place somewhere in the coach cars.
  by viahogger

jp1822 wrote:Yikes! An all day trip from Toronto to NYP with no cafe car (no breakfast, lunch or dinner for those onboard). Let alone the fact there will be no business class seats for those aboard. Hope Amtrak tries to bring something onboard or it has moved it's "snacks" to a place somewhere in the coach cars.
That's what they usually try to do, better to have some limited service as opposed to no service at all.
  by buddah

oh i missed it, as always this time I was in the US, if I was here in Toronto I would have definitely found my way over to Mimico and caught some pics and how did someone possibly pull this off.. Ive had instances where VIA has removed the derailer and backed the train crossing it into New Toronto St. , just shy of the fence from the plant across the street. someone wasnt paying attention I see!
  by jp1822

When the International was running between Chicago and Toronto, the VIA crew managed to derail (and I believe did some descent damage) a Superliner coach - if not two coaches.
  by ramonesfan

i bet via is like hey its not our train lets treat it the same way people treat rental cars.