• Norfolk Southern

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Hobbsks

i am just wondering if where you get hired on the NS is the place you have to stay or can you move around to different locations like you are able to on the BNSF?

by NS212

I believe on NS the only way you can move from territory to territory would be through a management positon like TM or something. I think you can also work on several different territories depending upon your seniority district or possibly a union agreement.

Kevin

by Hobbsks

ok... i understand that it will take some time to build senority to move from one territory to another, but i didnt know if it was like UP and CSX if the terminal you were hired in was the only one you could work out of.

by git a holt to it

It depends, my brother is prior rights BN on the nebraska #8 district(pre merger seniority) and could excercise his seniority from denver co to creston iowa and points between. Then I have a friend who works for the UP and his district is much smaller,denver,cheyene,grand jct and phippsburg. I think most if not all the class I's have a similar set up of seniority districts.Then again what I've learned about the NS in these posts it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't.