• They're here... CSX ES44AH's

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by FarmallBob

Here's a shiny new #705 heading east thru CP382 about 10:15 Sunday morning 11/4. (It is MU-ed behind leader AC6000CW #5010).

Incidentally the 705's class number stencil indicates it is an ES44AC - not an AH.

...FB

by CSX-Dan5377

Wow that looks pretty nice, Great Photo Bob.

Dan

by scharnhorst

I've seen about a dozon of them already over the past 2 or 3 weeks looks kind of like an AC4400CW.

by scottychaos

scharnhorst wrote:I've seen about a dozon of them already over the past 2 or 3 weeks looks kind of like an AC4400CW.
a dozen?
wow..thats impressive considering only 7 are out on the road so far! ;)

Scot

by nydepot

Hey Scot,

I thought you posted on page 1 of this thread that you didn't care about these engines? "Big yawn, etc., etc...."

:wink:

Charles

scottychaos wrote:
scharnhorst wrote:I've seen about a dozon of them already over the past 2 or 3 weeks looks kind of like an AC4400CW.
a dozen?
wow..thats impressive considering only 6 are out on the road so far! ;)

Scot

by scottychaos

nydepot wrote:Hey Scot,

I thought you posted on page 1 of this thread that you didn't care about these engines? "Big yawn, etc., etc...."

:wink:

Charles

scottychaos wrote:
a dozen?
wow..thats impressive considering only 6 are out on the road so far! ;)

Scot
yeah, I know..but the thread exists, so I keep reading it! ;)
apparently im more interested in the conservation about the engines than I am in the engines themselves..

Scot :wink:

by scharnhorst

sould have been more clear not all Locos are CSX a few were Union Pacific Units.

by SimTrains

709 & 710 out of Erie this morning

by FarmallBob

710 mu'd with ???, 5010 and leader 705 observed EB at Coldwater Rd about 10:15 AM today (Wed 11/7). ...FB

by videobruce

Now they are back to a 3 digit numbering system.
I never saw such a screwed up numbering system as this outfit has. Engines with one, two, three & four digit numbers.

BTW; what is "GEVO invasion"??

by Conrail4evr

videobruce wrote:Now they are back to a 3 digit numbering system.
I never saw such a screwed up numbering system as this outfit has. Engines with one, two, three & four digit numbers.

BTW; what is "GEVO invasion"??
What's wrong with using the 1-999 series? Every other class one does the same thing, so I really don't understand what you're trying to get at here. This number series fits in with the rest of their GE AC power, hence why it was placed there (and the SD70MACs and SD80MACs displaced from the series were moved up with their fellow EMD AC power in the 4500 & 4600 series').

As for the GEVO invasion, it means that CSX has been ordering quite a fleet of GEVOs, and will continue to do so - hence it seems the railroad is being "invaded" by this new fleet of GEVOs.

by videobruce

What's wrong with using the 1-999 series?
Because it has been customary to use only 4 digit numbers in the past 100 or so years (except for smaller carriers), it makes more sense and easier to remember with less confusion.

My question is; what are "GEVOs'"?

by CSXT 700

Boy not shure where its customary only to use four digit numbers for the past onehundred years, but lots of railroads for the past one hundred years used three number locos. Ones off the top of my head, are old (steam), Western Maryland, all the 2-8-0's were in the 700 series. NKP 2-8-4's in the 700, NKP 2-8-2, in the 500 series, plus lots of other railroads. Modern times, the Western Maryland GP9's in the 20 series, All NKP locos were in the 100 to 900 series, UP in the past 10 years or so has most all of there four axles in the 0 to 999 series. ATSF F units were in the 300 and other series, ect. Mabey a little research will enlightn you to others, but thats off the top of my head. This is not somthing as "new" as you say it is.

GEVO, it the new GE EPA T2, compliant prime mover from GE. GE Evolution Series (GEVO).

by MP366

GEVO refers to the prime mover in the new series of GE "ES" series locomotives...I believe it originated with GE marketing as the GE Evolution Series of prime movers and the level of compliance with EPA regulations(are we up to "Tier 2" yet?) Since the prime movers are in the new locomotives the locomotives themselves are being referred to as GEVO's.

As far as the three digit number question, two thoughts: 1.) Santa Fe was using three digit numbers on their "Super Fleet"(read: Warbonnets) since the reincarnation of the paint scheme in the 90's 2.) CSX seems to have a practice, intentional or not, of keeping builders in certain number classes...ie 1-1000 are GE, 4000's are EMD, 5000's are GE, 6000's are EMD, 7000's are GE etc....so the 700's are now following suit...Be glad you don't work in Mexico, Australia or Asia where they have used 5 digit numbers.....