Railroad Forums 

• Taking Pictures on NJT Now Requires Permit

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#32980  by dinky

Ken W2KB wrote:There has been an increased local police presence at some of the Raritan Valley Line stations in the last 2 or 3 weeks. Definitely there to watch the trains. In part, I'm sure that's to reassure the public. In part, it's probabably so that a reported suspicious person can be promptly questioned with less delay to the train.

Yes the donut patrol is out in full force. Like JoeG said..they hang around each other talking about nothing...."So Fred that look like a mighty fine powdered jelly you have there!" "Why thank you Bob and may I compliment you on your fine choice in the double chocolate glazed there." In my opinion, the only thing the calorie chasers are gonna do is be either a) the first to go in an attack or b) be first on the scene if something does happen. They couldn't prevent anything. Going through airports in Europe, the police they have on patrol...look at them...they are ready to shoot anything that smells funny. They are alert, appraised of the surroundings, and ready to kick a$$. Transit cops would only get excited over a donut vending cart passing by.

#32998  by JLo

I think Ken was refering to local municipal departments, not NJT.

#33000  by dinky

JLo wrote:I think Ken was refering to local municipal departments, not NJT.
In that case it's probably coffee rolls then :D

#33041  by OCtrainguy

Here is another possibility: After reading the "NJT Permit Troubles Today (a report)" thread, there was a lack of communication for the person who held the permit at Bound Brook. If I remember correctly, some of the passengers themselves contacted the local police.

Perhaps that may have influenced some towns to assign police to the station areas. Simply a guess.

#33044  by JLo

In that case it's probably coffee rolls then
I'll take the fat, donut or crumb cake eating version of the local PD over the 23 year old, steriod munching moron trying to be the next Dirty Harry.

#33080  by dinky

JLo wrote:
In that case it's probably coffee rolls then
I'll take the fat, donut or crumb cake eating version of the local PD over the 23 year old, steriod munching moron trying to be the next Dirty Harry.
Absolutely. I once accidently violated a restricted area. Two cops responded. The older one was understandable but just explaining the situation. The 2nd, younger, steroid-type, was all in your face and actually said if he was having a bad day...could have drawn his shotgun on me and if I had flinched....would most likely be dead. I couldn't help but laugh at him....he didn't like that.....I offered him an energy bar and he went away.
 #33088  by Head-end View

Guys really; I think there are a lot of cheap shots being taken at law enforcement personnel here. For all we know the officers involved may not like standing around doing nothing at RR stations either. They may question its usefullness too. And haven't many of the above writers said that the officers who questioned them were polite and professional? At least the writer at Bound Brook did. Lets keep in mind that the cops are doing what their bosses tell them to. And much of that may be politically driven by people who want to give the appearance that meaningful efforts are being made, to reassure the public.

Look at the positive side. Notwithstanding harassment of railfans, police presence at RR stations might actually be a good thing. I've never been a cop, but I like a donut and coffee too. Don't you?

#33105  by dinky

Actually I don't drink coffee....donuts aren't bad.

I totally respect officers for their chosen line of work. I could/would never do it. However the D patrol sterotype....while for the most part I would agree is inaccurate, but there are one who fit the profile....actually in any line of work there are. I guess it just bothers me more with LE officers.....especially the fake ones that work for the TSA.

I will say that the one time I had an encounter with a Transit Cop...it was positive.

#33678  by njt4172

This was a response my friend got from the Editor of Railpace Newsmagazine concerning the NJT photo ban:
The questions remain unanswered.

NJT's Records-Archives Administrator did send us some documents, but they were not specific to cameras, photography, and photo permits.

The problem here is that there is presently NO NJ Statute, or known NJT Administrative Code, prohibiting photography. Restricting photography from public areas is contrary to the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution (which, last time I checked, was still in effect.)

Apparently NJT considers itself a sovereign state, and "regular" laws just don't apply.

BTW I just got leaked information from Hudson-Bergen Light Rail management that NJT's police dept. has instructed Hudson-Bergen trolley operators to radio in to the NJT police dept. whenever they see a photographer.

The travesty of this matter is that while our sons and daughters over in Iraq and Afghanistan are fighting to protect our freedoms at home, we have thugs at NJT that are trying to usurp our liberties here in America for their own personal power trip. Perhaps we should give NJT's police dept. Saddam's phone number; they'd work well together.

Tom Nemeth

RAILPACE COMPANY