• Status of Savin Hill station in terms of reopening

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Venable

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew when the Savin Hill station might re-open. The original press release by the MBTA http://www.mbta.com/insidethet/press_re ... sp?ID=1005
said eight months from May 9th, 2004, which would be within the next week or so. However, I was walking past the station a couple of weeks ago and to my admittedly untrained eye it looked like they had a ways to go.

Also, any comments on the station rehab project, either at this station or the Dorchester line rehab in general?
http://www.mbta.com/projects_underway/s ... tation.asp
The sketches look pretty nice, but are the improvements mostly asthetic or will service get better?

Thanks, and sorry if this has been addressed recently - I scrolled back a few pages but didn't see anything in the last couple of months. Please refer me to any previous discussion I may have missed.

by CSX Conductor

I went by savin Hill on the Braintree train last week and it looked like they are moving right along.

As for Shawmut, Mr. Ron Newman had negative reports.

by Ron Newman

Bring an umbrella if you go to Shawmut. It's horrid. If I had to use that station every day, I think I'd buy a car instead.

by CRail

whats the umbrella for? Pigeons?

by Ron Newman

Even when it's not raining outside, it's raining inside the station.

by efin98

Has renovations even started on Shawmutt? I thought Savin Hill was the only station so far to start renovations.

by Ron Newman

There's lots of construction work, or at least fenced-off land, around the outside of Shawmut Station. You have to walk a block out of your way to go west from the station.

Why do trains still slow down at Savin Hill even though there's no reason to stop there?

by fm535

It looks like Savin Hill is moving along at a pretty good rate. To me, it looks like the mechanical equipment like the escalator and the elevators are almost ready to put into place. I doubt if they will meet their 8 month deadline, but I suspect a 1 year deadline? :wink:

by Pete

I didn't see stairs to the platform yet on Sunday, though the framing was there.

Shawmut looks as miserable as ever, except a little darker now.

by Venable

Thanks for the information, everyone, and please update if you learn more.

by fm535

Both sets of stairs going to the platform are in place. They had plastic around sections today to finish railing in the rain. No evidence of the escalators being laid into place, but I think they will start that after the roofing is laid out. The material for the roofing is in place but not laid out yet.

by Venable

Ouch.

Thanks for the update, though.

by CS

efin98 wrote:Has renovations even started on Shawmutt? I thought Savin Hill was the only station so far to start renovations.
Savin Hill, Fields Corner and Shawmut all began renovations beginning at the end of Last March. While work at Shawmut at this point involves putting in an elevator and escalator, Fields Corner and Savin Hill are very much under contruction. Fields Corner's headhouse has been gone for quite some time now and the station is completely open to the elements. The drop off busway has been removed and the pick up is in the process. In fact, you can actually look down onto the original busway from the platform.

by Robert Paniagua

I figured that Savin Hill would hit a delay in opening the station, that's usual of construction projects to have delays. Besides, the springtime is better for the re-opening of that station, especially with the snow gone and not in the way.