Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by DogBert

Anyone happen to know if the MTA is fixing this station (post Sandy, when it was under water)? The last I heard there wasn't any money to clean up the mess, that that was well over a year ago.
  by Kamen Rider

There was always money, it's just not a quick and easy fix. They intend to move all the signal relays into a new building above ground on top of one of the entrances.
  by Backshophoss

For better or worse,rebuilding South Ferry is a multi year project,having to demo all the materials damaged by Sandy and
checking the "foundation" behind it is still useable for the rebuild,then rebuild the entire station all over again.
  by DogBert

I hope they prop up that signal relay building a few feet above the ground. :)

I didn't realize they were slowly working on it. I know it sat for awhile with nothing being done - wasn't sure if that was still the case.
  by Kamen Rider

they have to go through all that contracting crud they always have to go through. RFPs, bidding, planning yadda yadda yadda
  by BigUglyCat

Are there any updates on this project? Thanks in advance. :-D
  by Kamen Rider

it's all on WIKI.

the main entrance to the complex (the new one built for the new station) is currently closed to add watertight doors and other anti flooding measures. the 2009 station is pegged to reopen sometime in 2017.
  by Personality Sphere #0324

I prefer the older station's loop. I always found it innovative and creative, rather than a boring platform.
  by n2cbo

Kamen Rider wrote:they have to go through all that contracting crud they always have to go through. RFPs, bidding, planning yadda yadda yadda
Watch them have to go through an "Environmental Impact Study" again... 8^(...
  by BigUglyCat

For us folks who live out in the boonies somewhere, would anyone want to bring us up to date on the new South Ferry Station rebuild progress?

I was just reading an MTA document dated 10/29/2015, that suggested a 9-month schedule. I have the impression that that schedule has slipped a bit. Wikipedia (which was referenced above) now says summer, 2017, reopening. Ya think? Any interesting gritty details would be appreciated!
  by GirlOnTheTrain

I would assume it will open in time for this delightful GO since apparently all trains utilizing the loop station need a special shield for the MDC to make sure the back half of the train isn't opened...and I was informed such a contraption was never made for the NTT trains the 2 uses.

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=164269

They're also running the "terminate 1 trains at 14th Street and have the 2/3 go local to Chambers" nonsense on the weekends fairly frequently - which all has to do with South Ferry work.
  by Allan

Special shield???? No such thing.

It all depends on the conductor to make sure that he/she doesn't hit the button to open the rear of the train. Although it should not be that hard since the conductors position is right at the end of the platform and to the right is the wall of the tunnel.

One of the concerns on the R142s is that the doors of the train cars may not line up properly with the gap fillers in the 2nd thru 4th cars as they are offset from the doors on the other side of the car. The doors in the 1st and 5th cars are equal to the ones on the opposite side (the same way the ones on the R62s are). If there is an issue on thing the MTA might do is have the conductor do a "partial open" which will open only one door at the end of each car.
  by GirlOnTheTrain

Welp, according to this delightfully vague article on NY1...New South Ferry will reopen in June.
http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/tra ... pairs.html
The MTA says it is testing the station's systems, and plans to re-launch the stop in June.

The restoration has a price tag of more than $340 million.
The video on the aforementioned link has some footage of the Sandy-related damage in the station to refresh your memory.
  by Head-end View

Well let's hope the station opens on schedule. It will have been over 4 1/2 years since Superstorm Sandy. This has been a long time coming.