Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by famcrown

South Ferry Station opening
The rehabilitated # 1 South Ferry Terminal station, devastated by Super Storm Sandy 5yrs ago, will return to service later today.

6/27/17 7:33 AM

Source. no subject / 420963
The rehabilitated # 1 South Ferry Terminal station, devastated by Super Storm Sandy 5yrs
View: http://n.v12.net/m?6B47E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Head-end View

I was there in the old station yesterday; took a sightseeing round-trip on the SI Ferry, with no idea that today was re-opening day of the new station. Damn! Oh well, I guess yesterday was my last time using the old loop station, but then I thought that once before. LOL Have to make another trip down there soon. :wink:
  by Head-end View

Well Newsday continues to astound us with glaring inaccuracies. If you can believe this, today's edition on page-A33 has a big photo of a train in the newly re-opened station and a caption telling about the South Ferry Station on Staten Island. We kid you not. Newsday is that screwed up that the error was made and no editor caught it! These people call themselves journalists? :(
  by trainbrain

South Ferry is used by many Staten Island residents, but it has always been in Manhattan. There aren't any subways on Staten Island.
  by Head-end View

Exactly my point! And Newsday, though they are a Long Island oriented newspaper should have known that, the fools!

And strictly speaking, there may be no subways on Staten Island, but there is the SIR (Staten Island Railway) that is kind of like an above ground subway system, though it is technically an FRA railroad even if it uses rapid-transit style cars. (Similar to PATH) :wink:
  by jonnhrr

Head-end View wrote:And strictly speaking, there may be no subways on Staten Island, but there is the SIR (Staten Island Railway) that is kind of like an above ground subway system, though it is technically an FRA railroad even if it uses rapid-transit style cars. (Similar to PATH) :wink:
If SIRT was in Chicago it would be called an "L" :)
  by pumpers

Fan Railer wrote:Reopened terminal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukO5NN_HaeY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last time I checked South Ferry was two words, with a space between them. What's going on with the signs on the station walls, like at 30 seconds into the video and other times, where they all say "SouthFerry". It might be trendy and cute now, something these Gen Xers or Millenials or whoever chose, but it sure will seem embarrassing in a few years or so , and these signs will be there for 100 years probably.
JS
  by trainbrain

I never really noticed that. Maybe it was to fit the words on the same panels.
  by pumpers

Now that I look at it again, "Ferry" could easily been shifted to the right on the same tile. At least they got the spelling right.
  by Head-end View

Re: the station being there for a hundred years; don't say that too loud 'cause we thought that once before about this station. LOL :wink:
  by trainbrain

I thought it was absolutely moronic to build a station in that location so deep. They should've have completely demolished the loop platforms and installed diamond crossovers to allow the 1 to terminate at Rector Street while they were building the new station. That way the new station could've been built much shallower and been less prone to flooding. I'm not entirely sure, but I think it's the deepest station in relation to sea level in the entire city.

Hopefully the renovations that were done made this station much less prone to flood damage. The tunnels crossing the East River are deeper below sea level, so they just needed to figure out how to waterproof a station at that depth.