• Smallest station in NJ Transit system

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by F23A4

After seeing the Bridgewater station (RVL) a month or so ago, I couldnt get over how SMALL it is. Each platform couldnt fit any more than one set of end doors. (Keep in mind, I typically ride the NEC; so I'm used to longish platforms)

Are there any stations smaller than Bridgewater within NJ Transit's system? Just curious.

by TAMR213

I always thought North Branch (IIRC) was kind of small, pretty much a bus shelter in the dirt on the side of the road. I hear Calco is like that too. I am also used to the LONG platforms of the NEC, since well, I live 500 feet from it.

by mersk862

I've heard Finderne is nothing more than a bus cover thing...I haven't actually seen it though.

Monmouth Park (not the spur, but on the NJCL mainline) didn't appear to be much to me either, but I'm not exactly sure of this one...

Jeff

by F23A4

I am sensing an RVL pattern. :-D
  by thebigc

F23A4 wrote:After seeing the Bridgewater station (RVL) a month or so ago, I couldnt get over how SMALL it is. Each platform couldnt fit any more than one set of end doors. (Keep in mind, I typically ride the NEC; so I'm used to longish platforms)

Are there any stations smaller than Bridgewater within NJ Transit's system? Just curious.
Is that the same station as Manville?? Last time I worked the RV, Manville was just a station sign under an overpass. You let people off between cuts of covered hoppers.

Calco wasn't much better. A bus shelter adjacent to American Cyanamid.

by njt4172

Now, don't everyone forget Mount Tabor! It has to be the smallest on the M&E if not the system....It has no eastbound platform!

Steve

by JLo

Calco wasn't much better. A bus shelter adjacent to American Cyanamid
Calco has been renamed Bridgewater, and has been improved, but isn't much bigger than it was back in the day. Manville/Finderne is the station that is between the parked hoppers.

by matt1168

What about Manasquan. There are 2 tracks but only one "platform" (if you want to call it that).

Manasquan station on the NJCL is just about a 2 car length patch of gravel on the side of the southbound track. In order to board a northbound train, passengers must cross the southbound track.

Bay Head is also pretty small. A short, 1-2 car platform with a short canopy.

As far as high platforms go, some of those stations on the ACL are pretty small; I think 2-3 car lengths at Atco and Egg Harbour(can anybody confirm). Avenel on the NJCL also has short platforms, and no canopies or bus shelters.

by Irish Chieftain

Plauderville always struck me as appearing exceptionally small...probably due to platform width as well as length.

by sullivan1985

Garfield, Plauderville and Delawanna are the smallest staions I have seen...

by JLo

I think Finderne is the smallest, depending upon the day. Sometimes, it is nothing more than a 15-foot gap between hopper cars.

by pdman

Gillette was always small, and I don't think NJT did anything to make it larger. In fact, they tore down the building with benches inside (used to have a pot belly stove) and now it's a bus shelter.

by nick11a

pdman wrote:Gillette was always small, and I don't think NJT did anything to make it larger. In fact, they tore down the building with benches inside (used to have a pot belly stove) and now it's a bus shelter.
Gilette Station can platform three cars. Peapack can hold about one.

And also, I remember seeing a 2-car stop spotting sign for trains on the RVL. I found this unusual as all RVL trains are just about the same length which is 6 cars.

by JackieS

Bridgewater is my work destination on my NJ Transit commute. It's hard when there is a new engineer and they overshoot the platform upon arrival. You must exit between the last two cars, so the ONLY leeway for an overshoot is the last door of the last car. A few times I've had to climb out in the gravel off the platform. I'm never sure why they can't back up a matter of ten feet or so.

Also, in regard to the Bridgewater station, I'm glad I get off westbound and head to work. There is absolutely no protection from the elements on the westbound side. At least there's a tiny brick building with two benches and a heater on the eastbound side where I wait for the train home.

An added note to any visiting the station... beware... that's poison ivy all over the eastbound side after you go up the stairs.

by n01jd1

I would have to say Plaudervillehas to be the smallest station on the Bergen County Line. Perhaps the smallest on the Hoboken Division.

sullivan1985 wrote:Garfield, Plauderville and Delawanna are the smallest staions I have seen...