• Silverliner V Order Cancelled

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by ctrabs74

I originally posted this in one of my other groups that I'm involved in. This is the background over the controversial Silverliner V contract and all the connections that caused Kawasaki (and others) to cry foul.

I'll sum it up as best as I can (most of this was posted at my Frankford Terminal blog). Note that bold face names are SEPTA Board members:

State GOP Chairman big-wig Alan Paul Novak of Chester County was hired by UTS/Rotem as a lobbyist to presumably approach heavy hitters in Harrisburg and reach out to SEPTA Board members in Chester County (Novak was the former Chester County GOP chairman before his (ahem) promotion). One of Novak's law partners at Conrad O'Brien Gellman & Rohn, LLC is SEPTA Board member James J. Rohn.

One of Novak's biggest allies is Pa. GOP National Committeman Robert Asher, who was convicted of corruption charges back in the late 1980s (this was the infamous case in which then-State Treasurer Budd Dwyer committed suicide at a live press conference). A few years ago, Asher was appointed by Montgomery County Commissioners to serve on the SEPTA Board to replace GOP outcast Mario Mele (who, for whatever reason, pissed off the wrong people in Norristown, as he was replaced on the 1999 Commissioners ticket by James (brother of MSNBC's Chris) Matthews). Asher's appointment was essentially blocked by MontCo DA (and Attorney General candiate) Bruce Castor.

Asher eventually was replaced by then-Cheltenham Twp Supervisor (and current MontCo Commissioner Thomas Jay Ellis, who is an attorney at the politically powerful Center City law firm Ballard Sphar Andrews & Ingersoll, LLP. Ballard Sphar was one of the law firms retained by UTS/Rotem as part of the lobbying process. (On a side note, there is still some deep animosity between Asher and Castor, as Asher is using his influence to back a candidate from Western Pa. for the GOP nomination for AG.)

Asher also carries significant influence over MontCo's other Board member, Michael O'Donoghue, who chairs the Whitpain Twp GOP Committee (that's the Blue Bell area), along with two legislative appointees: Sen. Stewart Greenleaf (R-12) and Frank G. McCartney, who is also the executive director of the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission (which operates the river crossings north of the Burlington-Bristol Bridge).

McCartney was recently involved in a bit of controversy regarding gifts from contractors, including vacations at high class resorts in Florida (the link below offers a detailed article which ran in the Allentown Morning Call; scroll down to the October 12 entry entitiled SEPTA BOARD MEMBER IN POSSIBLE ETHICS FLAP http://frankfordterminal.blogspot.com/2 ... chive.html

Another heavy hitter with reported ties in this deal is Al Mezaroba, who is closely allied with State Sen. Vince Fumo (D-1/Peco Energy and other Corporate Interests). One of Fumo's biggest allies in City Council is Frank DiCicco (D-1/South Philadelphia & River Wards), whose son, Christian DiCicco is the CEO of an outfit called CA Holdings, Inc., which Philadelphia City Paper describes as "the for-profit subsidiary of Citizens Alliance" (26 Sept. 02 City Paper). Citizens Alliance has been in the middle of a huge controversy regarding recent multi-million dollar donations by Peco Energy (among others). Christian DiCicco is also a $65K/year staffer for Sen. Fumo, and is a licenesed attorney.

Two of Mezaroba's fishing buddies are Bucks County GOP boss Harry Fawkes and a pretty important person on the SEPTA Board by the name of Pasquale T. Deon, Sr., who just so happens to be the chairman of the SEPTA Board. Mezaroba was also hired by UTS/Rotem as a lobbyist for the Silverliner V project.

Officials from Rotem - presumably through Philadelphia-based interests - was a major financial contributor to the 2002 campaign of Gov. Edward G. Rendell (D-Pa./Comcast SportsNet). Officials from Rotem and another Korean based company were guests of Rendell at the inauguration. Rendell's appointee, by the way, is Denise Smyler, who is also an attorney.

Even SEPTA's former GM, Jack Leary, is in on the project. Leary was hired by UTS/Rotem to work with SEPTA staff on behalf of the company, presumably to get Rotem into a better position within SEPTA.

And this, by the way, is just what we know so far. Once those disclosure forms have been release (assuming that SEPTA staff doesn't do some creative editing), there may be more coming out of this mess.

Now that SEPTA has settled the suit with Kawasaki, I guess we're never going to know any of the juicy details involved with this controversy. At least not officially...
  by jrevans

Lots o' snipping....
ctrabs74 wrote: One of Novak's law partners at Conrad O'Brien Gellman & Rohn, LLC is SEPTA Board member James J. Rohn.

MontCo DA (and Attorney General candiate) Bruce Castor.

Asher eventually was replaced by then-Cheltenham Twp Supervisor (and current MontCo Commissioner Thomas Jay Ellis, who is an attorney

Christian DiCicco is also a $65K/year staffer for Sen. Fumo, and is a licenesed attorney.

Rendell's appointee, by the way, is Denise Smyler, who is also an attorney.
I see the problem, too many lawyers! :-)

Thanks for sharing this information. Quite interesting. It's not an April Fools post, is it?
  by ctrabs74

jrevans wrote:Lots o' snipping....

I see the problem, too many lawyers! :-)

Thanks for sharing this information. Quite interesting. It's not an April Fools post, is it?
Unfortunately, it's not.

by kkwan

SEPTA is smart this time. UTC (Rotem) is one of the worst manufacturer I have
ever seen.

Back in my town we have 2 major railroad systems (MTR, KCR) and we
have Merto Cammell Weymann (MCW) EMUs running for 20 years. 4
years ago the administration planned to add more trains into both
systems. They chose to put Kawasaki train on KCR and UTC (Rotem) on
MTR. It turned out that the Kawasaki trains were more reliable than those
UTC EMUs. UTC trains caused too many machanical and signal probelms
and nobody likes it.

Money is not the only factor. I would not mind waiting for few more years to get a better train.

by The Caternary Type

Chose Kawasaki!
You use everything else from them (LRV&subways)

by Elwood

I think that Bombardier is the company SEPTA should invest in. I think they offer a product that will meet the needs of SEPTA. Persoanlly, I would like to see the Edward Budd Company build new cars for SEPTA, but those days have passed.

by Nasadowsk

Yeah, cause BBD did such a great job with the Acelas and R-142s and M-7s.

Not.

Really, I don't know why NY state (or anyone else) keeps kicking them contracts, other than they get their bribes in early I guess. The M-7s are overweight, cramped, ride like crap, Kawasaki's R-142 verrsion has much better fit/finish, and the Acela... Well, that's a well beaten dead horse at this point.

Go with Big K, at least they can build a 1/2way decent railcar.

by 7 Train

Of course I'd like to see Budd build the Silverliner V's. But they have not built any rail vehicle since 1989. The SEPTA Regional Rail roster is rich in Budd heritage. The Silverliner I, II & IV were built by Budd. Nowadays they are into parts, mainly for the auto industry. See: The Budd Company

Other American companies:

GE: left the railcar businesses, mainly into locomotives & propulsion systems.

Morrison Knudsen: left business in 1990s, transit division in Hornell, NY now Alstom & locomotive shops in Boise now MPI

St. Louis: closed in 1974, sold

Pullman Standard: went bankrupt in 1982, sold all designs and models to Bombardier

by Nasadowsk

Budd actually was an automotive supplier long before they got into railcars. They closed shop after losing the R-62 contract for the NYCTA, which BBD got and nearly lost because they couldn't build a decent subway car, period. Reportedly, the cost difference between the two bids was not much, either, and I don't think the NYCTA was required to pick the lowest.

by 7 Train

Budd lasted a bit after it lost the R-62A order in 1982. It built the Baltimore Metro/Miami Metrorails cars in 1984, the M-3 car for the Metro-North/Long Island Rail Road, 1985-86 and finally in 1989, Rapidos DMU trainsets for Portugal. The "Viewliner" prototypes for Amtrak were built by Budd in 1987-88, though actual cars were built in-house at Beech Grove. Budd also did the Chicago TA's 2600 series in the 1980s.

by ctrabs74

Nasadowsk wrote:Really, I don't know why NY state (or anyone else) keeps kicking them contracts, other than they get their bribes in early I guess. The M-7s are overweight, cramped, ride like crap, Kawasaki's R-142 verrsion has much better fit/finish, and the Acela... Well, that's a well beaten dead horse at this point.
Doesn't Bombardier have a plant in New York State? I know the MTA has long been pushing contracts towards Bombardier (and to NY State-based Orion for buses), so that probably explains the MTA contracts.
  by RDGAndrew

ctrabs74 wrote: Most of us know that the Silverliner V contract was being funded with capital dollars as opposed to operating dollars, and that the current budget crisis involves the operating budget, not the capital budget.

And remember, this is the same outfit that wants to build a $2 billion pipe-dream of a fiasco known as "MetroRail" between Philadelphia and Reading.
At the "Let's chop off half the system to save it" hearings last year, I asked a (half-rhetorical) question of the representatives of the board: If SEPTA can't afford to keep running commuter services in densely populated areas that grew up around rail service and have enjoyed them on an uninterrupted basis for over a century, how did they expect the MetroRail to do any better, assuming it ever got built as planned? The answer: SEPTA hadn't explored the question of where operating funds for MetroRail would come from. Hmmm... Norfolk Southern train No. 5, the King Coal, now departing for Reading, making stops in NORRistown, PHOENixville, ROYersford, POTTstown, BIRDsboro and FRANKlin Street, Reading. Booooooaard!

by Matthew Mitchell

ctrabs74 wrote:Doesn't Bombardier have a plant in New York State? I know the MTA has long been pushing contracts towards Bombardier (and to NY State-based Orion for buses), so that probably explains the MTA contracts.
Yeah, in Plattsburgh, near the Canadian border. And another plant in Barre, Vermont. And some of those contracts may be explained by attractive financing deals and Canadian export funding rather than plain old graft.

by 7 Train

Bombardier has several US plants.

Auburn, NY
Plattburgh, NY
Barre, VT
Chicago, IL
Pittsburgh, PA
West Mifflin, PA

Canadian plants

Montreal, PQ
La Pocatiere, PQ
Thunder Bay, ON
Kingston, ON

The Barre plant was shut down in 2002 after the final delivery of the Acela trainsets. Plattsburgh built 1080 R142 cars for the New Yok Ciry Subway IRT. Barre built the Acela units and the NYCT R62A cars as well as commuter coaches.

by Olton Hall

You can cross Barre, VT off that list. They are pulling out of that currently moth-balled plant.