• Silverliner V Order Cancelled

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Nasadowsk

The Arrows never had a top speed of 105 mph, it was always listed as 100. I don't know why people got so upset about the dropping of the top speed to 80 - there's practically NO track on or off the NEC where 100mph running is needed, or useful, and even with 80mph running, they're STILL faster than the 100mph ALP/Comets, because of their acceleration. I also don't get why ABB gets the blame, since it's pretty clear that the entire story isn't known by most, as NOBODY can say specifically what's wrong with the cars to prevent over 80mph operation, and the gearbox 'reason' makes no sense anyway.

SL Vs built from 100% Americans parts and labor? Not gonna happen, period. Nobody in the US makes an EMU propulsion system that's even remotely worth considering - GE's stuff is obsolete junk (DC traction? This is 2004, not 1974), Westinghouse is gone. Even the NYCTA doesn't buy GE stuff for new cars, it's all Alstom, ABB/Adtranz/whomeveritisthisweek, or Siemens. GE built the R-110A/B cars, but didn't get R-142. AFAIK, the only pending order of any real size is 100 or so CCMs for rebuilding the LIRR's M-3 fleet, which itself is questionable because there's no reaon to rebuild them as DC traction cars. The LIRR's M-7s are Mitsubishi.

Why should Septa limit itself to buying stuff from what's now an also-ran in the market (GE doesn't even build small inverters anymore)?

Don't get too excitecd about a Bombardier built M-7 knockoff. They're obnoxiously heavy cars (a touch less than an SL-IV, but without the 8,000 lb transformer, 1,000 lb pantograph, and misc switchgear), and passengers hate the seating, which is far more cramped than the M-1/3s are, plus there are far fewer due to the LIRR's inane decision to place an ADA bathroom in every other car. A 12 car M-7 is no faster than a 12 car M-1, and has nearly 1 car's worth fewer seats, and this is with 3+2, and only 3+2. They've been very reliable, though.

I question if the SL V will even perform better than the existing stuff. While it's technically possible, the FRA's regulations mean a very heavy car, meaning very high demands on the propulsion system. I'll be quite amazed if the final weight comes in under 130,000 lbs per car. I'm guessing more like 140,000 - 150,000, in which case they'll be as slow, or slower, and much more expensive to run than the existing fleet.

by Irish Chieftain

The Arrows never had a top speed of 105 mph, it was always listed as 100
"Listed" and capabilities are quite far apart. The 105-mph figure is from NJT engineers; if you want to discredit them, that's fine, but make sure you are armed with facts and not rhetoric. Also, I do not see why you are talking about this in the SEPTA forum.

For the record, I got the 105-mph figure from people posting on this thread on the NJ Transit forum. Any facts to refute that claim are welcome.
I don't know why people got so upset about the dropping of the top speed to 80 - there's practically NO track on or off the NEC where 100mph running is needed, or useful
On or off the NEC? Note that there are NEC express trains whose usefulness increases when running at both 100 mph and with twelve cars.

Again, why are you bringing it up in the SEPTA forum? They were merely side comments I made, but you focus on them as though they were a primary focus of this thread. Drop it.
Don't get too excitecd about a Bombardier built M-7 knockoff. They're obnoxiously heavy cars (snip)
Enough with these tired old arguments. Unless they are falling off the rails, you have no argument whatsoever. Cite some facts to show that "obnoxious weight" will automatically lead to unreliability and lack of longevity. And stay on-topic; that includes ignoring side comments. TIA...

by Umblehoon

not to mention pantographs versus third-rail contact shoes.
This is going back a ways in the conversation, but I've been wondering for some time: is there a technical advantage to either option? Obviously, from a safety perspective of not frying people stupid enough to cross the tracks, overhead wires are nice, but are there other reasons to prefer one method over the other?
  by jsc

Alcoman wrote:Bombardier should get the car order for Septa.
Why? The Kawasakis that I ride every day were purchased in 1981 and have been worked hard ever since and are holding up splendlidly. Why not them vs. BBD?
Alcoman wrote:However regardless who gets the order, it should be built 100% in this Country using American made parts and labor.
That would be wonderful, but quite honestly, with the state of funding of public transport in philly, I don't know that we can afford to make that sort of demand. Keep in mind that the successful bidder will not be a US based company and a huge amount of the components are simply not available in the US. Back to my funding comment; I don't think it is wise for SEPTA to fund development of a technology in the US when it is already developed elsewhere.

Side note- UTU was only proposing final assembly to be performed at the former PNSY.
Alcoman wrote:Just hire a bunch of low-lifes to paint for free-They will put multible coats of urban scraw on the side of each car using their best "artistic" abilities. :D
I'm sure you don't mean it the way I read it, but things like this are incredibly offensive to those of us who live in the city. It's rather like pouring salt on the "city vs. suburbs" wound. As such comments don't really further the topic at hand, perhaps we could all refrain from name calling?

by Nasadowsk

High voltage (11+kv) catenary can easily supply far more power than third rail, plus the high voltage means less voltage drop and farther spaced substations. The LIRR's MUs can draw nearly (or over, but the main fuse is 1,000 amps) 1,000 amps while accelerating, but at 750V DC, this means only 1,000 HP at 100% (unachiveable) efficiency, plus no HEP loads or such. And that much current is not easy to draw without trouble. In contrast, the same amount of power would be only 67 or so amps at 11kv, and 34 or so amps at 25kv - much easier to handle w.r.t. conductor size, arcing, etc.

Even an ALP-46 at full power (no HEP) draws only 250 or so amps on the 25kv system, and that's with 7100+ HP at the rail.

by rdganthracite

I wonder if the people at 1234 Market were told by thier Legal Department that by reopening the bid after it has been publicly awarded that they will likely get a lawsuit for damages if another bidder is awarded the contract. Even if the Koreans do not dispute the who eventually wins the award they have every right to claim that since they had won the bid that they purchased X dollars of material and spent Y hours designing the cars so Septa is required to reimburse the sum. If such a case would go to court Septa should have every expectation of losing.
  by Miketherailfan

CComMack wrote:SEPTA has cancelled its contract to purchase 104 new commuter railcars from the Korean-based United Transit Systems consortium.
Yay! I guess that means the Silverliner IIs and IIIs are here to stay :D

by Franklin Gowen

Miketherailfan
Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:59 pm Post subject: Re: Silverliner V Order Cancelled
CComMack wrote:
SEPTA has cancelled its contract to purchase 104 new commuter railcars from the Korean-based United Transit Systems consortium.

Yay! I guess that means the Silverliner IIs and IIIs are here to stay
Ahhhh...I wish it were true. The day of judgement for those durable survivors is merely postponed, not cancelled. One way or another, they will eventually be retired. And I'll miss them.
  by Miketherailfan

Ahhhh...I wish it were true. The day of judgement for those durable survivors is merely postponed, not cancelled. One way or another, they will eventually be retired. And I'll miss them.
One or two will end up at Strasburg, hopefully 269 :wink:
chuchubob wrote:I'm enjoying them while they're still here.
Same here. Here's ol' 269 at Warminster in 1999
http://forums.railfan.net/Images/SEPTA/ ... II_269.jpg
Last edited by Miketherailfan on Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by EDM5970

That "Broken Arrow" term goes back to way before the ABB rebuilds of the Arrows. I remember hearing it in the '60s, when they first came out and replaced the MP54s. Lots of out-of-service time. The shop crews that kept the MP-54s running had quite a learning curve-

by Nasadowsk

When the SL II/III units were rebuilt in the 80's, did they retain the ignitrons in the rectifier group, or were they upgraded to SCR technology (as the MN M-2s were)?
  by ctrabs74

Franklin Gowen wrote:SEPTA is already in a severe budget crisis, and a protracted legal challenge would cost precious money and time," Deon said in the statement.
That statement is almost laughable to begin with.

That was also the same excuse that SEPTA used in awarding the contract to UTS in the first place. Most of us know that the Silverliner V contract was being funded with capital dollars as opposed to operating dollars, and that the current budget crisis involves the operating budget, not the capital budget.

And remember, this is the same outfit that wants to build a $2 billion pipe-dream of a fiasco known as "MetroRail" between Philadelphia and Reading.
  by ctrabs74

Alcoman wrote:Bombardier should get the car order for Septa.
Except for the fact that their bid was the most (or second-most) expensive out of the four original bidders, sure. Why not?