Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Clean Cab

Very nice pictures, but you should have thinned out the amount a bit.
  by Tommy Meehan

Overtime wrote:I went to the Harrison Station on Saturday to get some pictures of the electrical work being done, you can view my pictures at http://snapshot.phanfare.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . I took a lot of pictures and basically just uploaded all of them. You will find pictures of Con Ed workers, MTA workers and pictures of both Metro North and Amtrak trains at the station
Yes those are nice.Thanks for linking.

Any word on the testing?
  by DutchRailnut

they did some testing and there will be some electric trains by Monday morning, keep checking MTA site for a schedule update.
  by CTRailfan

Overtime wrote:I went to the Harrison Station on Saturday to get some pictures of the electrical work being done, you can view my pictures at http://snapshot.phanfare.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . I took a lot of pictures and basically just uploaded all of them. You will find pictures of Con Ed workers, MTA workers and pictures of both Metro North and Amtrak trains at the station
Fantastic pictures! What are the three 100kW transformers for? Now for bets on how long until they blow up/ melt/ trip out the frankensubstation? Hopefully the schedule shows pretty clearly what's Maxi's and what's EMU's, I'll aim for a Maxi tomorrow when I'm headed to JFK...
  by truck6018

CTRailfan wrote: Hopefully the schedule shows pretty clearly what's Maxi's and what's EMU's, I'll aim for a Maxi tomorrow when I'm headed to JFK...
The general public could care less what kind of train their on, as long as it get them to where they want to go!
  by ACeInTheHole

truck6018 wrote:
CTRailfan wrote: Hopefully the schedule shows pretty clearly what's Maxi's and what's EMU's, I'll aim for a Maxi tomorrow when I'm headed to JFK...
The general public could care less what kind of train their on, as long as it get them to where they want to go!
Exactly.
  by CTRailfan

truck6018 wrote:
That would be true... I just don't want to be on an EMU when Frankensubstation blows up. Luckily, it can only run one or two trains, so that's only one or two dead trains to tow out of the way when it does.
  by Ken S.

CTRailfan wrote:
truck6018 wrote:
That would be true... I just don't want to be on an EMU when Frankensubstation blows up. Luckily, it can only run one or two trains, so that's only one or two dead trains to tow out of the way when it does.
Then may I suggest taking a taxi to the airport. More because of weekend subway construction and limited luggage space.
  by mmacfall

FYI - Acela just went by here in Milford about 1:10 pm.
  by Clean Cab

mmacfall wrote:FYI - Acela just went by here in Milford about 1:10 pm.
That's good news if it's not only a test train.
  by truck6018

CTRailfan wrote:
truck6018 wrote:
Yes but if the maxi is behind the stranded EMU, and they can't route it around the stranded train for what ever reason, you're still stuck.
  by CTRailfan

truck6018 wrote:Yes but if the maxi is behind the stranded EMU, and they can't route it around the stranded train for what ever reason, you're still stuck.
That is quite true.

EDIT: Clean up quotes
  by ACeInTheHole

CTRailfan wrote:
truck6018 wrote:Yes but if the maxi is behind the stranded EMU, and they can't route it around the stranded train for what ever reason, you're still stuck.
That is quite true.

EDIT: Clean up quotes
On the bright side. If the substation blows and their train dies yours will at least have heat and light.. They wont be so lucky
  by Tommy Meehan

mmacfall wrote:FYI - Acela just went by here in Milford about 1:10 pm.
Clean Cab wrote:That's good news if it's not only a test train.
Probably a test or equipment move. Per the schedule that would be 2250 or 2253 and Amtrak shows both (and all Acelas) are still cancelled.
Due to the ongoing commercial power problem in the New York area affecting Metro-North Railroad territory, Amtrak Acela Express service will not operate through Sunday, September 29, between New York and Boston. Amtrak will continue to provide Northeast Regional service operating under diesel power through the affected area. Link
  by CTRailfan

beanbag wrote:On the bright side. If the substation blows and their train dies yours will at least have heat and light.. They wont be so lucky
True, but I'd be worried about A/C if it was during the summer... this time of year, loss of power wouldn't be too uncomfortable unless all the people made it really hot inside...

When are they supposed to post tomorrow's schedule? The one up there is still from Thursday/Friday. Also, do we have any confirmations of trains running under electric power through the affected section? The Acela could have been towed by P42's that were cut off/put on at STM...