Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by CTRailfan

truck6018 wrote:Really? What else could they be doing?

I know, they should give everyone parachutes, put them on an airplane and push them out over their respective stations! :)
Well, that's one way to do it! Or they could utilize their's and CDOT's diesel fleet properly to maintain 10 trains an hour on NHL and full service with 2-seat rides instead of 1-seat elsewhere.
  by CTRailfan

And they're using this as an excuse to cut weekend service. They could run the entire normal schedule, through from NHV, all with Maxis...
  by Maybrook fan

Get the 6 Ct. DOT FL9's fired up !!!!!!!
  by ACeInTheHole

CTRailfan.. My advice.. Cut the monday night quarterbacking. It wont make you friends here.
  by lirr42

I was debating whether or not to start a new topic for this, but I figured I would just add it into this one. However, if Mr. Smith or Mr. Proceed think otherwise, feel free to split it out.

The one question I'd like to get some people's opinions on is this: with the recent fiasco, lots of the politicians and commuters have been crying for refunds for their tickets (even though they are still using MN's services, but I digress).

Do you think Metro-North should be issuing refunds? My opinion is that they should only give refunds as per their normal policy. Give the people their value of their tickets as of 5:22am Wednesday. At that point, all monthlies and most weeklies would be worthless anyways.

What are your thoughts on the matter?
  by ACeInTheHole

No, I do not think so. This money goes into the crews paychecks. That seems to be everyones first response when this type of thing happens.. Its one thing if you have a wreck like the Bridgeport disaster earlier this year, then of course refund the oassengers on the two trains involved, heck even more than that.. But i this situation, MN is doing the best they can with kneecapped resources. Are the people getting to their destinations? Yes.. Whats the only difference? Trains are a bit crowded.. Whoopty doo some people have to stand til their destination.. Well im sorry but their train crew has to eat. And i think that is much more important than the minor inconvenience od using your legs for their intended purpose. If you think about it on a more in depth level its likely the conductors cant get through the trains to punch tickets for the standees etc. so a bunch of people are getting free rides already. No point in refunds. Interesting question there nonetheless lirr.
  by NH2060

lirr42 wrote:Do you think Metro-North should be issuing refunds?
Absolutely not. It's infuriating enough to hear people complain about Metro-North on a good day, but then they want a REFUND when something beyond their control goes bad? How in the world would they have the time to actually calculate how much money to set aside for 100,000+ riders who (for the most part) carry monthly/multi-ride passes that end up costing less per day vs. 20 or so one way peak hour tickets? This isn't Amtrak where most of the revenue comes from one way and round trip tickets' the latter of which are technically two one way tickets bundled together.
  by Tommy Meehan

Thanks for the Greenwich Times photo link. Quite amazing to see that temporary substation being installed in what looks like the end of one of the parking lots at Harrison.

What I've wondered about is the crew assignments. Metro-North pretty much abolished all scheduled trains and issued a temporary timetable, correct?

It happens so fast, how do crews bid? They're not running full service so what happens to crews without a train? I'm presuming they still are entitled to their paycheck but nowadays, who knows? :(
  by Tommy Meehan

Any word on the testing that was scheduled for earlier today? Has anyone seen an MU train running between Pelham and Rye?
“It’s like we built a temporary substation in a place where there wasn’t anything before,” said Con Ed project manager Steve Perisi. Such a setup to tap into power has never been attempted before, Con Ed President Craig Ivey told WCBS 880’s Sophia Hall. “It normally serves lights and air conditioning, and we’re going to try to use this to feed train service, which is a very different sort of service when you bring a train through with 10 cars,” Ivey said. He said Con Ed will conduct tests to make sure power to the homes is not affected.

The impromptu electric substations were built in about two days, CBS 2′s Steve Langford reported. Harrison’s mayor Ron Belmont was confident that they would work. “I am concerned but the engineers at Con Ed said it should not be a concern,” he said. Link to CBS news story
Interesting that the substation where the cable blew was reportedly in Mt. Vernon. Guess that's why there were a lot of Con Ed people down there. And we now know it wasn't a guy with a backhoe, right?
  by truck6018

Tommy Meehan wrote: It happens sometimesso fast, how do crews bid? They're not running full service so what happens to crews without a train? I'm presuming they still are entitled to their paycheck but nowadays, who knows? :(
There is no biding for situationsike this. By the time jobs got awarded everything could be back to normal.

In situations such as this, crews report at their scheduled time and work as directed.
  by Tommy Meehan

truck6018 wrote:...
There is no biding for situations like this. By the time jobs got awarded everything could be back to normal.
In situations such as this, crews report at their scheduled time and work as directed.
Thanks.

Is there enough work for everyone?
  by truck6018

Tommy Meehan wrote:
truck6018 wrote:...
There is no biding for situations like this. By the time jobs got awarded everything could be back to normal.
Thanks.

Is there enough work for everyone?
From what I understand, yes although I am not intimately involved in the situation.
  by Overtime

I went to the Harrison Station on Saturday to get some pictures of the electrical work being done, you can view my pictures at http://snapshot.phanfare.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . I took a lot of pictures and basically just uploaded all of them. You will find pictures of Con Ed workers, MTA workers and pictures of both Metro North and Amtrak trains at the station
  by Overtime

I went to the Harrison Station on Saturday to get some pictures of the electrical work being done, you can view my pictures at http://snapshot.phanfare.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . I took a lot of pictures and basically just uploaded all of them. You will find pictures of Con Ed workers, MTA workers and pictures of both Metro North and Amtrak trains at the station